VelosiT

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Aviator sunglasses and Top Gun quotes
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Laser-Guided Delivery Services

Posted 06 October 2016 - 17:17

I have a young man, whom just turned 20 yrs old in the 47 course with me. He came straight from HS, gets picked on a bit(mainly by instructors, playfully) but has thick skin as well. Finished 1st in his common core class as well.

I was gonna mention him too, I went through WOCS with him. Great guy.

It's absolutely possible to be successful through WOFT even with the age difference, but as Dmurray said, it takes thick skin. You're going to be in an environment where you're surrounded by type-A personalities, many of whom have several years of experience in the Army already. 

That said, it's not inexperience that will make you have a bad time here - it's a lack of willingness to learn and to accept criticism. The ability to recognize what you don't know and then seek out help is your most important asset going through WOFT.

The Army is okay, I guess

#22 shmoeser

shmoeser

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:31

Start working on your LOR's and everything else that you can prior to your 18th birthday. I believe that you won't be able to complete your physical unless your have your parents consent form filled out. So if you have your packet mostly completed and then just have to physical it will make your life easier, as well as easier to just hand everything over to your recruiter and get your packet in at the first available board. Honestly it's going to come down to what you want to do, if you want to go out on a date with someone do you have to ask your parents permission first. Eventually you are going to have to step out on your own, make your own path and possibly stumble. If they want to be there for you good, if they don't then that is their loss. You have to remember that no one is going to take care of you like you do, so live your life and start pursuing what you have a passion for. 

#23 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:54

Hey,

I am a highschool applicant in my junior year of schooling. I'm looking to apply in my senior year for WOFT. My parents, however, are extremely strict and won't accept anything to do with the military. While advice on how to convince them is appreciated, I know they won't ever budge on the issue, trust me I've tried for at least the past year.

If it comes down to it, I will go against their will and apply. The real question is, is parental consent required to complete the application?

I know the answer seems like an obvious yes, but I was hoping there would be some kind of loophole.

Another thing to consider would be my age by the time I apply. I would turn 18 in January 3rd, towards the end of my senior year. Can I apply around then, in time to accept college apps in case I get denied?

Thanks before hand. 

I would explain to my parents that I am going to be an Army Aviator if it's possible. I would start the process as soon as possible if I wanted to go high school to flight school directly. You might achieve that, or you may not get the slot until you have your degree. You may not ever make it, but you will have tried to live your life.

Edited by Wally, 02 November 2016 - 12:04.

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#24 Apache5032

Apache5032

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:17

Go to school!! This is a critical time where you will learn about life and mature as an adult. With age comes wisdom, trust me.

#25 Shindigg

Shindigg

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I like push ups, spending time with my mom an grandpa i love them alot and video games primarily call of duty because it helps me prepare for real gun battles. I'm going to be a pilot like my uncle randy who is the coolest guy with an even cooler mustash im ridin into the danger zone GO USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:32

Hey do yer pushups and tell yer parents that yer're going to do what you love because life is short and my grandpa says he thinks you should do it too so theres yer ansir.  Hopefully see you at fort rucker soon bro I'm doing my push ups too and getting ready for woft pilot helicopter jet school go america go usa yeah army

• johnmartillo likes this

9aff22998210241ae6425ca2e5f714c3.jpg

#26 John Denver

John Denver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 14:56

Mendacio and ArcMeechy,
If you were having a hard time in high school I can almost guarantee you will have difficulties in the Army. You need to develop some thick skin. You're going to be stressed and your feelings will probably get hurt. That's how it goes.
That being said, if WOFT is something you really want to do then you better be prepared to work your ass off. Do whatever it takes to get that application completed.
If college is something you don't want to do, try enlistment. You can gain a lot of knowledge and experience from being enlisted. You're both very young so you have time on your side.
Set your goal, make a plan, and complete each step. Even a small victory is still forward progress. If you continue to work toward your goal, your dream will be real. I promise. Don't ever let anyone tell you you cannot do something.

I agree with Dmurray. I was in the same place you both were in having a hard time in High School. I went enlisted crew chief after my first year of college and it gave me quite the thick skin. I'm glad I got that experience, but if I had to do it over again knowing what I know now, with how things ended up turning out, I would have gone for WOFT sooner.
  • jaswhee likes this

Hidden figures f*cked my life. I'm not even sure I got a single one right lmao. It was like the most impossible shape to recognize, and it didn't change the whole time I was taking the test, like on the practice test they have easy ones like a house. Mine was a house that was engulfed in flames with a giant dragon running out of the garage. sh*t was insane. The figure it was hidden in looked like a thousand lines to me. I felt stupid.- luofynerd

#27 cwil7280

cwil7280

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:49

I went through WOCS with a guy who turned 19 right before graduation. He was certainly not bottom of his class, really smart guy. He was pretty quiet and I would have never guessed he was as young as he was. If you're going in young, just try to listen twice as much as you speak and do what you think is best. Observe the mistakes and accomplishments of others and learn from them. When I went through I was on the younger side as well at 22. Ironically the people that created the biggest headaches in my class were a select few older and inflexible prior NCOs who wanted to be in charge of everything. In summary, age has nothing to do with success, stick to your morals, and remember the old saying "It's better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Best of luck.

• Creep0321 and johnmartillo like this

"If you're not first, you're last." - Ricky Bobby

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Applications, WOFT, High School, Highschool, Parental Consent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

LORD_VRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeMaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200BE_VRHome200NFCVRForum200HomeAMTC 2018Spectrum_VRHome200Genesys VR Forum 200