Mendacio and ArcMeechy,

If you were having a hard time in high school I can almost guarantee you will have difficulties in the Army. You need to develop some thick skin. You're going to be stressed and your feelings will probably get hurt. That's how it goes.

That being said, if WOFT is something you really want to do then you better be prepared to work your ass off. Do whatever it takes to get that application completed.

If college is something you don't want to do, try enlistment. You can gain a lot of knowledge and experience from being enlisted. You're both very young so you have time on your side.

Set your goal, make a plan, and complete each step. Even a small victory is still forward progress. If you continue to work toward your goal, your dream will be real. I promise. Don't ever let anyone tell you you cannot do something.

I agree with Dmurray. I was in the same place you both were in having a hard time in High School. I went enlisted crew chief after my first year of college and it gave me quite the thick skin. I'm glad I got that experience, but if I had to do it over again knowing what I know now, with how things ended up turning out, I would have gone for WOFT sooner.

• Like 1

I went through WOCS with a guy who turned 19 right before graduation. He was certainly not bottom of his class, really smart guy. He was pretty quiet and I would have never guessed he was as young as he was. If you're going in young, just try to listen twice as much as you speak and do what you think is best. Observe the mistakes and accomplishments of others and learn from them. When I went through I was on the younger side as well at 22. Ironically the people that created the biggest headaches in my class were a select few older and inflexible prior NCOs who wanted to be in charge of everything. In summary, age has nothing to do with success, stick to your morals, and remember the old saying "It's better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Best of luck.

• Like 2