WOFT and past indiscretions

Just a little background:

I graduated college this past spring, did well, got a STEM degree, and now have been looking at my options.

Before I went to college (community college first) I worked for a couple years to save money to go to school.

Just after finishing highschool I had smoked pot a little with some fellows, not often or a lot but, I had an unfortunate circumstance.

I came to work one day at the restaurant and smelled like pot (I hadn't actually smoked that day but was in the car of friend who had).

I was fired for it.

On the WOFT packet it asks about previous drug usage and what-not and also past employers.

The questions I have are these:

1. Should I be straight up about this?

2. Should I put down the employer and say I haven't done any illegal drugs while hoping the background check doesn't find out?

I know a lot of you are going to look down upon this but it was just an unfortunate circumstance that sadly is with me now and I have to work around it. I'm an Eagle Scout, volunteer, and have worked hard in school to do well.

I want to serve my country and fly but don't know if I'm sunk before the process even begins.

Thank you for the input, if any.

RDQ012,

From what little I know, I've seen recruiters tell recruits to not put down their past drug usage, but only if they had never had any infractions for it. If you put down "no", and fail to report said drug usage in your packet, when they are doing your background check (OPM) for your secret clearance they will probably find out. I would communicate with your recruiter the issues you are concerned with. The point of a clearance is to see if you are trustworthy. If they catch you lying you will more than likely be permanently disqualified. You could try talking to recruiters in other areas if you don't want to burn the recruiter you are currently working with. If it makes you feel any better, the FBI only cares about the last 3 years of your life in regards to drug usage. I know the packets typically ask for the last 10 years, 7 years, or if ever but you never know. Good luck!

ALSO, if you decide to not report it, and some how get away with it, if you are ever upgrading to a TS clearance with a polygraph you WILL get caught lying.

I went to MEPs recently and both of the retired corpsmans specifically said that they DO NOT care about your past marijuana usage. If you had it ONCE or a couple times in the past and it was years ago. Don't even bother putting it down.

Also, do not feel down about it. I'm an advocate for it. The world is changing and I can assure you that you'd be surprised at how many people have done it. Just don't do it anymore.

Leave it alone, don't worry.

Steve0 you can be trained to dodge a lie detector. Need to do your research though. Brian, look at what it takes to become an FBI agent. There are different categories of TS. TS SCI, TS stand alone, TS with a Poly etc. I'm just saying in the future if he were to apply for a position that required a TS and a poly he would have difficulty.

Steve0 you can be trained to dodge a lie detector. Need to do your research though. Brian, look at what it takes to become an FBI agent. There are different categories of TS. TS SCI, TS stand alone, TS with a Poly etc. I'm just saying in the future if he were to apply for a position that required a TS and a poly he would have difficulty.

For the FBI yeah, but I've never heard of someone in the Army needing a poly for a TS.

I still wouldn't recommend trying to hide it, especially if it's something minor like this.

RDQ012,

You can never go wrong telling the truth. It speaks volumes more about your integrity as a potential officer, than what you'd gain if you tried to hide it. With few exceptions, you get more credit for taking responsibility for your actions, than having a squeaky clean application.

Just be specific that it was a short period in your life when you hadn't fully developed your decision making skills. Even if you were required to take a polygraph sometime in the future, answering truthfully that you experimented with recreational marijuana isn't nearly the red flag as having to revisit an integrity issue from the beginning of your enlistment. That tells an investigator that your Army career to date may have been in question.

I can tell you that if you're to the point that your career progression requires a poly, you're applying for a substantial program, you don't want to have to answer for a lie at that point. Take your lumps now and you'll be fine. I can tell you from experience that my otherwise noteworthy Army career was almost cut short soon after WOCS because of a similar situation.

DesertBird, lying about anything is not a good policy for yourself, or to advise peers to do the same. Regardless of what anyone in the recruiting command or MEPs tells you, they're not the ones who have to suffer the future consequences.

Mike-

• Like 2

Al

It is a shame for someone who is whole-heatedly committed to the Army and to better themselves be deferred for such petty reasons.

Nonetheless, good luck on the process. I wish stuff like this didn't hinder peoples decision to serve.

Although as I let the teenagers I mentor understand, the decisions you make now will have consequences you'll have to answer for later, and the potential of severely limiting your options. Desire to serve is great, having some mature foresight is better.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Hello All,
I have been applying for WOFT (civilian side) for the past two years. I have learned a lot from this website. However, I have not been able to find any information regarding the workflow process for (misconduct moral waiver) submission/results life cycle.
To the best of my knowledge the local recruiting team uses a system refered to as GCR (Guidance Counselor Redesign).
From what I have read the workflow goes as such:
1. Company Commander interview (endorsement letter)
2.Battalion XO Approval (interview) (GCR)
3.Batallion Board (WOFT) If move to step 3
3.HRC (GCR)
Verbatim the USAREC link states the below:
"Moral Waiver Procedures
Waivers are not processed by USAREC waivers section
WOFT appointment moral waivers must be forwarded to HRC for review
All packets requiring moral waivers should be processed and boarded at the Battalion prior to the packet review by G-3 Special Programs.
After the packet is complete the moral waiver will be forwarded to HRC
Documents needed in order to process a waiver are
USAREC Form 1037
USAREC Form 1227"

Am I missing anything?