NROTC or Army WOFT

Hey everybody! I'm new to this site but I was wondering you guys could help me with a dilemma I'm having? I just submitted my Marine Corps NROTC Scholarship application and I'm currently working on my Army WOFT packet. I should have it submitted in June but when it comes down to deciding on which one to go with, I'm unsure. My overall goal is to become a military helicopter pilot and I know that if I get the scholarship, I'll definitely go with that. So my dilemma I need your guy's advice with, is which one should I choose if I don't get the scholarship but get into WOFT; Option A) Go Marine Corps NROTC and have to pay for college on my own and compete for a flight spot but earn a degree or B )Go Army WOFT and become a pilot but I wont be able to go to college. Sorry If its lengthy, just had to squeeze in every detail. Oh I know how competitive it is to get into the army woft program so I know my chances are slim but my packet is pretty good! Thank you for everything!

Honestly dude, do what's going to make you happy. Everyone's going to say what THEY think is the best COA for you to take, but ultimately it's your decision to make. Choose the end state that best suits your need(s). That doesn't mean disregard everyone's advice (hell, you can disregard mine), but if you're a pros/cons guy, gather all that up and do an analysis. But do what's going to ultimately make you happy, that's my advice.

• Like 1

You said your overall goal is to become a military helicopter pilot, not a Marine Officer. The best, most direct route to your desired outcome is the WOFT route. Again like dovq said weigh the pros/cons. But if your a bottom line guy, and flying helicopters is your bottom line, WOFT seems to be the best route.

• Like 1

I don't know about pursuing the Marines for a pilot slot, but go to school if you can get a scholarship, and if not, find a way to pay tuition. It's an investment in yourself, and you'll thank yourself for it later. It's not going to change your prospects of flying Army (it will make you more competitive), and it will open many more military flying opportunities in other branches that maybe you haven't considered. The Air Force and Navy both have street to seat programs, and the Air National Guard basically interviews their pilots like a job application.

Hey everybody! I'm new to this site but I was wondering you guys could help me with a dilemma I'm having? I just submitted my Marine Corps NROTC Scholarship application and I'm currently working on my Army WOFT packet. I should have it submitted in June but when it comes down to deciding on which one to go with, I'm unsure. My overall goal is to become a military helicopter pilot and I know that if I get the scholarship, I'll definitely go with that. So my dilemma I need your guy's advice with, is which one should I choose if I don't get the scholarship but get into WOFT; Option A) Go Marine Corps NROTC and have to pay for college on my own and compete for a flight spot but earn a degree or B )Go Army WOFT and become a pilot but I wont be able to go to college. Sorry If its lengthy, just had to squeeze in every detail. Oh I know how competitive it is to get into the army woft program so I know my chances are slim but my packet is pretty good! Thank you for everything!

I was in the exact spot you were at one point. Here's the deal:

Option A

Pros: A commission with a better paycheck, (generally speaking) better duty stations for pilots, better options for education/job opportunities if you desire down the road (NTPS, HMX, VMX, exchange tours w/ allies, Naval Postgraduate, FW transitions, Congressional Fellowships, Acquisitions) ...oh yeah and port calls. Shipboard flying is challenging but fun.

Cons: Rigid career tracks, Not guaranteed Helicopters, probably spend 3-6 years out of the cockpit during a 20 year tour. You get sent to 29 Palms and have to spend 7-9 months on a boat working with the Navy. Eventually get stuck doing MAGTF staff work before going back to the cockpit. Non-qualified pilots can get stuck places that aren't desirable.

Option B:

Pros: Pretty much garaunteed helos, stay in the cockpit 95% of the time, and get to be a technical expert. Similiar education opportunities minus HMX, fellowships, postgraduate and a few others. Potential for a European tour.

Cons: You get paid less. Get sent to JRTC or NTC. Don't get much joint planning/execution exposure, less METs in conventional Army aviation (FAC/A, DACM, Aerial refueling and JTAC quals). Degree is not required and you'll probably have to pay for it with some tuition assistance help. You have take orders from a boot ass Lieutenant who has less experience than you. Might get stationed in the following shitty locations: Kansas, Louisiana, upstate New York.

This is not an inclusive list, I.e. You can goto TPS, or acquisitions or exchange tours as a pilot in the Army but it's easier to do that in the Navy or Marines just due to sheer numbers/slots. Some parts of the Army do similiar METs as Marine Corps units (160th) but that is a small part of the total force. I am sure I might have missed some Army pro/cons so please fill in where people think it's appropriate. You can't go wrong with either, but just keep in mind the cultures are very different.

There's also the fact that once you're winged. you only owe the Army 6 years, versus 10 for the Navy. Also, beyond everything else, remember that as an Army WO, if you choose, you will remain activein the cockpit for the duration of your career.

As it was said, there's a lot of pros to becoming a Marine Corps officer, but it depends on if you envision yourself a career long leader of Marines, or a career active aviator. Neither service allows you to do both.

Mike-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've enjoyed Fort Rucker, Fort Drum and Fort Irwin. Get out and explore the region you live in and any duty station experience can be transformed. The day to day life isn't much different no matter what post you're at. An Army base is an Army base. The units are what makes the difference.

I went WOFT a few years back and am coming up on the end of my time in the Army. I've had a great time and I am having mixed feelings about leaving it behind so soon. Good luck to you with whatever you choose!

Edited by SBuzzkill

I've enjoyed Fort Rucker, Fort Drum and Fort Irwin. Get out and explore the region you live in and any duty station experience can be transformed. The day to day life isn't much different no matter what post you're at. An Army base is an Army base. The units are what makes the difference.

I went WOFT a few years back and am coming up on the end of my time in the Army. I've had a great time and I am having mixed feelings about leaving it behind so soon. Good luck to you with whatever you choose!

Any tips on what to do at Drum? Not sure if I'm going to 1-10 attack or 6-6 Cav yet. Besides the weather I've been hearing 10th CAB is actually a pretty good unit to be in.

Get outdoors and do whatever you like. There are lots of lakes and rivers so my wife and I bought kayaks and did a lot of exploring and fishing. I had a little sand pit I'd go shoot at in the woods and a lot of my buddies enjoyed hunting up there. There's some good hiking out in the Adirondacks and on the Tug Hill Plateau.

In the winter you can ski or snowboard or do whatever winter sport you feel like. The hills out there aren't great and can get icy but it beats sitting around the house.

A huge plus for the area was that I could road trip almost anywhere I wanted to go. My wife and I drove to Maine, D.C., Niagara, Ottowa, took a quick flight down to NYC, pretty much all over the Northeast.

A big downside for me personally was the lack of general aviation up there (if you like to fly on your own). There is only one guy who does flight instruction in Watertown and he charged quite a lot for his 172s and didn't like to rent them. It's a great flying area so it would have been nice to be able to take a plane on the weekends and explore.