Greetings Gents,

I am just getting started putting together my WOFT packet and have a few questions for the more well informed.

1. What are the possible locations in Colorado/Wyoming to take a flight physical?

2. I am looking for a WO3-5 to write me a LoR, does anyone know where in Colorado/Wyoming I could find a few aviators to ask to interview me?

3. I am a prior service Sergeant in the Marines. I have excellent LoRs from my platoon commanders from all 3 of my deployments between Iraq and Afghanistan (2 captains and a major), my BC from my 2nd deployment (retired Colonel), an ROTC instructor who's class I was in while getting my Bachelors (Army Captain) and am lacking the WO. Are these solid Rec Letters, or should I try to get more variety (Current or Former Bosses, College Professors)?

4. Does anyone think having permanent hardware in my foot from an orthopedic surgery will be a major factor? I am still physically capable and regularly climb 14ers and will very soon have a perfect APFT score...

Thank you for your input and time. Much respect.

Can't speak to 2 and 4, but I'll answer what I can.

1. Fort Carson in Colorado Springs is likely where they'll send you for the flight physical (assuming you're in Colorado).

3. That's a pretty fantastic set of LoR's you got there. I don't know how the rules differ for prior enlisted, but going through street-to-seat as a civilian, I wasn't required to have a letter from a WO. I had an Air Force O-6, two O-3s, and a retired O-4. You might as well make your packet as shiny as possible, though, meaning that if you can't/don't need a WO letter, you might as well get a letter from a boss or professor. 6 letters looks better than 5.

Hope that helped.

• Like 1

Just so you know I am also a current civilian WOFT applicant, so any advice I give is from what I have been given or have found online.

1. After a little research I would agree with VelosiT. it looks like Fort Carson has the 4th Infantry Division Stations there, which in it is a Combat Aviation Brigade. Although if you talk to a recruiter there may be a place closer that could help. (If you aren't near there)

2. Fort Carson would also then be a good place to get in contact with some Warrant Officers, although some of our active duty warrant officers on the forums may be able to give you a better direction. (Or may be one) But if not, I have heard of a number of people cold calling aviation units and asking to speaking with a flight officer. The few warrant officers I have met have been willing to help me with my packet and provide advice.

3. I also wanted to pass along some advice that was given to me. Granted being former service, your LORs may hold more weight than my civilian ones. Stearmann44 told me to be careful with how many LORs I submit. Board members only have 2-3 minutes to scan packets so make sure you submit the letters you want them to see. Quality is better than quantity! That is just advice I was given that I wanted to pass on.

Hope any of this helps ya, best of luck on your packet!

• Like 1

FYI,

If you submit 5-6 letters, I'll look at the authors, pick the two, maybe three that are most applicable to read. I'd be more interested in a letter from an AD Army Aviator, and one of your previous commanders than your pastor, professors, etc.

If for some reason I pick one of your least convincing LORs, it can be a detriment to you. Submit the ones that quantifiably represent your best potential and character. Ft Carson is a good place to find an AD WO.

Mike-

• Like 2

There's a certain set of rules regarding retained hardware. I had to deal with it myself the other day. Basically, if the hardware doesn't transverse a joint and doesn't cause any functional impairment, you should be good to go.

That is good to know. I do have some plates on a minor joint in my foot, and have lost a small amount of range of motion in my toes, but I have full use of my foot with no pain. I hope they will let it slide, but I'm not holding my breath.

FYI,

If you submit 5-6 letters, I'll look at the authors, pick the two, maybe three that are most applicable to read. I'd be more interested in a letter from an AD Army Aviator, and one of your previous commanders than your pastor, professors, etc.

If for some reason I pick one of your least convincing LORs, it can be a detriment to you. Submit the ones that quantifiably represent your best potential and character. Ft Carson is a good place to find an AD WO.

Mike-

Mike, thank you very much for your input. I have a question about this: Would a platoon commander from 10 years ago be more or less relevant than an active duty Army Captain who was an college instructor a year ago? It has been some time since my first 2 deployments, so I'm wondering if older military service, or more recent things I have done as a civilian would be more pertinent? Thanks again for your input.

That is good to know. I do have some plates on a minor joint in my foot, and have lost a small amount of range of motion in my toes, but I have full use of my foot with no pain. I hope they will let it slide, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ah, so it does transverse a joint. If the retained hardware doesn't meet those criteria I mentioned, then I believe it's disqualifiable and will require a waiver. No idea how easy that'll be to get.

Ah, so it does transverse a joint. If the retained hardware doesn't meet those criteria I mentioned, then I believe it's disqualifiable and will require a waiver. No idea how easy that'll be to get.

I guess so. Thanks for the info. The only info I have been able to find online basically says that:

(9) Retained hardware that is integral to maintaining fixation or stability, or presents a risk to mobility or a risk of further injury by its presence.

(2) Current retained hardware that is symptomatic, interferes with proper wearing of protective equipment or military uniform, and/or is subject to easy trauma, is disqualifying (V53.7). Retained hardware (733.99) (including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws used for fixation) is not disqualifying if fractures are healed, ligaments are stable, there is no pain, and it is not subject to easy trauma.

I hope that I'm not disqualified, or that I can get a waiver if I am!

Us

Mike, thank you very much for your input. I have a question about this: Would a platoon commander from 10 years ago be more or less relevant than an active duty Army Captain who was an college instructor a year ago? It has been some time since my first 2 deployments, so I'm wondering if older military service, or more recent things I have done as a civilian would be more pertinent? Thanks again for your input.

Use the most recent, relevant reference you can find.

• Like 1

I was also a prior service Marine Sgt who had a break in service. I also had a screw put in my foot from my wonderful time in the Corps! I did not need a waiver for it (but did need a waiver for the LASIK, which was no problem, they just required a sh*t ton of paperwork). I did my whole WOFT packet in Colorado Springs (this was probably 3 years ago) and did my flight physical at Carson. I only had 4 LOR's for the board. One from a prior Army Captain who was a good friend. One from my boss (retired Colonel but he didn't indicate that anywhere on the letter). One from my old company commander (non-aviator). The last one was from a CW2 reserve Chinook pilot stationed up in Washington.

The only aviator LOR I had was from a CW2. The board in no way requires civilian applicants (or even inter-service transfers) to have a LOR from a CW3-5 aviator. I did not have one. That being said, I will be back in Colorado (as a new CW2) from mid December to probably early January. If you would like, I can meet with you (over a beer) and I can whip something up for you that the board might like. If you're interested, shoot me a PM. Good luck brother.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with a Flight Surgeon this morning. He says that I absolutely must get my retained hardware removed, so it looks like I'm having surgery in the next few weeks. This is going to set me back another 6 months, but I'll get there sooner or later!

• Like 2