New Post

johnw2156

---

Don't you get it kid, flying commercially SUCKS!

If I were 16 I'd get into the Tech industry, find an awesome paying job, make butt-loads of money, buy a Widgeon and be a happy recreational pilot for the rest of my life!

I would suggest that flying for a living is not for all and that your brief exposure might limit your reference.

Was I 16 again, I would do a few things differently:

I would have completed the free COBOL course I was given;

I would have gone to the Gulf of Mexico with my Army buddies when the Vietnam War wound down instead of drinkin' and hoarin' for ten years. I would have eventually retired from that job. I liked flying for PHI.

I do not regret flying and being paid for it all those decades.

P.S. for "johnw2156"- considering your health challenges, I understand your impression that pilots are all uniquely healthy individuals. It's not so. Find a compatible MD who is also an AME and discuss your situation regarding your second class physical. Considering that you have considerable challenges, look for experience. Cities with a lot of airline pilots will often have AMEs with demonstrated records of success dealing with airmen medical issues.

There is an argument for not allowing your AME to be your physician, my experience is completely contrary- he advises me on meds that will not create problems with the FAA. I hear similar from other pilots...

• Like 1

I would suggest that flying for a living is not for all and that your brief exposure might limit your reference.

Well sure, but my experience is what it is, and not everyone has the same.

Would I feel differently if I had spent my twenties flying an F-14 for the Navy, then my thirties flying the Space Shuttle like I envisioned when I was 16?

Would I feel differently had I spent the last ten years flying tourists around Vegas like I planned when I was 30 and finally became a pilot? I don't know?

Had my first job been with Oceanfront or Hiltonhead and not Helislave Adventures maybe I wouldn't hate commercial aviation,...maybe?

Drinkin' and hoarin' well that sure beats sober and married!

• Like 1

The road to disrepute is paved with "what-ifs" - what if i had gone into architecture instead of the airforce? What if I had gone to the oil helos after the airforce, instead of going to police aviation? What if I had completed my ATPL instead of spending more time in the bar? What if I had actually hit the ground instead of finishing in ground effect while flying powerlines in high winds? What if?? WTF?

You are only a 16-year-old kid, with a couple of serious diseases and delusions of grandeur.

Take one thing at a time. Get the medical. Do some flying. Reassess the situation. Then do what your mom told you to do, tidy your room.

• Like 1