VOLO_VRHome200Helicopter AcademyTigerTugsUpperLimit2011Home_468x60
Photo
- - - - -

Another ARNG thread (Input from New Englanders would be great)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 krustchinsky

krustchinsky

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 19:37

I'm just glad I was able to get a date for next week.... School is about to kick into high gear after spring break.  

I finished the FAA rotory wing manual a few weeks back. Going through the SIFT study guide again now. I need to re-learn some math, and also go back over circuits, resistance, voltage drop at resistors, etc. I used to know science stuff... so it's in there somewhere. I feel I have a pretty solid grasp on helicopters and aviation though, at least as much as anyone can from reading a few books and watching a bunch of youtube videos.

How much in-depth knowledge of each army airframe should I have? Empty and gross weight, what weapon systems an Apache can be armed with, etc, or just the roles and noteable facts, IE the Chinook is the fastest? 

I think by the time I sit for the test, the only area that I expect to trip me up is hidden figures. I'm decent at it, but it's the only thing I'm not confident I can train myself to do with total accuracy. 

Mike

Focus on the higher level topics when it comes to the aviation section.Chapters 1-4 of the FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook, and go over the different aircraft in the inventory of the United States Army. Understand their names, identifiers, roles, and general construction. Example being:

Q: Which of the following is a tandem rotor helicopter?

a) AH-64

B) OH-58

c) CH-47

d) UH-60

The test has a strong focus on aerodynamics, and being able to define terminology scrounging rotary wing flight.

Get points where you can. The aviation, math, and reading sub-tests are easy points based on my experience. The hidden figures, simple drawings, and spatial apperception sub-tests will require focus and a strategy. The mechanical comprehension and math skills sections are where you should spend the bulk of your time studying.

Civilian, selected March 2017.

#42 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:Prior USMC Infantry, Law Student

Posted 03 March 2017 - 23:49

Im good on spacial aperception and simple drawings. Hidden figures seems to be hit or miss but Ill keep going over them. I'll re-review chapters 1-4 and also start digging back into math this weekend. My mechanical knowledge is good, my conceptual electrical knowledge is good but I need to brush up on EIR equations and application.

Ill be pissed if I don't score at least in the high 70s... I'll let you all know how I do of course.

Mike

#43 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 16:49

Officially scheduled to take it from 9-12 at a local college ROTC department on Thursday. This is good as I took a practice ASTB in it's entirety the other day (offered online) and realized I need to brush back up on pulling algebra out of word problems, so this will give me some time the next few days to go over that as well as some of the other stuff. I can't believe I actually knew calculus at one point, those days are definitely long gone. I will be meeting with the recruiter/WOSM on Friday.

I also got a full eye workup done at the VA today just to make sure there would be no surprises. Vision is good. As I expected, my left eye is slightly weaker but they still said 20/15 with no need for corrective lenses. I also went over the color blindness stuff, had them dilate my pupils and look at my retinas, etc. Not sure if the flight physical is that extensive, but I figured it was free, so why not.

Mike

#44 Dmurray

Dmurray

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Boards, Slow Subarus
  • Company working for:United States Army

Posted 06 March 2017 - 18:23

The vision portion of the flight physical is very extensive. Your eyes will be dilated.

#45 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 16:28

I'm glad I got this done then. They thought they saw a retinoschisis in my left eye (which I guess is waiver-able if its not progressive and doesn't cause vision loss) but they looked into it further and turned out to be nothing. So if this shows up again, I'll at least be familiar with it. The VA is also giving me an EKG tomorrow AM. Again, hoping to avoid any surprises since I might not be able to have a military flight physical performed until after committing to the guard. 

Mike

#46 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:04

Just got back from taking the SIFT. It took a little over 2 hours. I felt pretty good on the shapes, although they were a little harder than in the study book. I think I got through all of them. I also got through 28/50 of the hidden figures, I may have missed one or two. I also felt pretty good about the aviation knowledge, I think there were 2 or 3 I wasn't certain on, including a question about airspace. The math section lasted about 20 minutes, I got blindsided by a couple of the questions. I should have brushed up on Logs, but other than that I think I did fine. The mechanical section had some questions I had zero idea on that were definitely in physics major territory. 

All in all I pulled off a 75, which I guess I'm happy with. I definitely spent too much of my spring break studying for it, so I'm happy to get all the books put away now. I'll let you guys know how the meeting with the recruiter and WOSM goes. 

And I guess to clarify for anyone who finds this thread in the future, college ROTC departments CAN administer the sift to a civilian or prior service member. Bring some proof of social security number and ID with you. I had to call a couple ROTC units to find one willing to do so.

Mike

#47 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 13:12

So I met with the recruiter and WOSM for one of the State's I'm looking at today. The recruiter called their flight surgeon while I was in the office, and he said he couldn't give the flight physical to anyone who was not currently a member. She is next going to try calling some regular army recruiters and see if they have any connections as far as getting me a flight physical. She also said if I come up with anything, to let her know and we'll make it happen. Does anyone have any knowledge on getting a flight physical for the guard prior to enlistment? I know some others have done it... so I know it's possible. Also, if I get a class 1 flight physical, but don't make it down to Rucker for over 18 months, when they redo the flight physical is it the full physical again, or is maintaining a class 1 less of a process than getting it initially?

It seems that the way they would like me to do it is to do a meet and greet at the unit as a civilian and talk with the members who sit on the state board prior to enlisting. From there I would enlist and go up for the next board the state runs, which I guess are Winter/Summer. So if I enlisted this summer, it would probably be next winter, though it would depend on dates and scheduling. They said they selected two this winter and they have about an 18 month wait for flight school slots at this point. For my planning purposes, if I were selected next winter, or even this summer, 18 months would be fine. This would be one of the things covered on a meet and greet I presume. 

As far as enlistment options it seems I have 2 as a Sergeant that would get me in at that unit: 15T and 92F, so Repairer or Petroleum Supply. If I enlisted as a 15T, I would delay my MOS school until what we all agreed would hopefully be beyond when I was picked up for WOCS. Worst case, I would go to the school AFTER having completed law school next summer (2018). I was told as long as I conclude the training within 24 months I can push it out as far as I need to. I would OJT as a 15T until that point. They also said that there is a re-class school for 15T that is only 8 weeks long. The other option, 92F, has a re-class school that can be broken up into two two-week segments, so essentially 2 ATs. The downside is 92F would be less useful to me as far as my end goal goes, and frankly I have no interest in the MOS. If I get forced to deploy as a 15T, I would be much happier than as a 92F. Interested to hear your thoughts on pushing the MOS school out as well as the 92F option.  

Thanks all

Mike

#48 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 15:25

So the latest is MEPS denied me and I need a waiver from the National Guard Bureau. I have a combined 30% rating for a back strain, knee strain, and tinnitus. The back and knee are better, and my hearing is in the normal range. I sent up my MEPS paperwork with my full comp/pen evaluation from 5 years ago along with paperwork from a sports med doctor saying my back and knee were 100%. The imaging report on the comp/pen screening showed nothing, which is noted in the report. Looking at the MEPS guidelines, I'm pretty sure there is no reason they had to DQ me, but my recruiter said the CMO pretty much just does what they want. Hopefully the waiver is pretty straight forward. 

So that's the latest. I imagine I may need a waiver from aeromed as well, but I can't do the flight phys until I'm in the guard. I already had all the eye stuff done (the guard doc outsources it) and that is 100%. So just more waiting. 

Mike

#49 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:25

Just an update: NGB Granted a waiver, I'll be going up to MEPS in a month or so (after finals). 

Mike

• Stump and Dmurray like this

#50 ElJay

ElJay

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:03

Just an update: NGB Granted a waiver, I'll be going up to MEPS in a month or so (after finals). 

Mike

Congratulations, Mike. I'm guessing you don't have to do Basic. From a guy who graduated yesterday, I hate you for that.

#51 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:42

haha, thanks. And congratulations on getting through basic.

And no, 13 weeks at Parris Island was apparently enough for the army lol. It was definitely enough for me.

Mike

#52 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 17:44

Just an update. I went to MEPS for my physical and got a waiver to enlist in the Guard as a 15T. I'm doing a meet and greet with the unit sometime the next couple weeks, then hopefully getting sworn in and everything. Assuming I am good on the flight physical, which I can't take until I'm in, I should have my first opportunity to go before a board in September. From there it's 12-18 months until I get a school slot, or so I'm told. This is good, as I the bar exam is next summer. I graduate in May. 

Mike

#53 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 16:40

Just keeping this thread updated. Did a meet and greet with the Guard unit last week. I'm pretty excited and hoping it all works out. I was told I was a strong candidate which is always something good to hear. There seemed to be a lot of unit pride and enthusiasm from they guys I met which was good. 

I was told that I could submit a packet as a non service member, which is different than what my recruiter has been telling me. I was told it would be helpful, at least, to be applying internally, but was by no means a deal breaker.

2 things I think might be helpful to other people:

1. When I was at MEPS the liaison up there, and subsequently my recruiter told me I would need to attend a prior service Basic Combat Training (PSBCT) if I were 3 years out of an active duty or drilling status, which comes up for me this September. This is false, though I don't believe the recruiter or MEPS liaison knew this. It is true that after a 3 year break in service one has to go to PSBCT, but that clock starts after your IRR time expires. The new order is from this past spring, it is SMOM 17-037 for anyone looking it up. I emailed the two MSGTs listed as points of contact and they confirmed for me that the clock starts post IRR time, which it says on the document anyway. 

2. I finally found out how to get the flight physical taken care of as a civilian (I think). I actually suggested this to them in the past, my recruiter was adamant it wasn't possible. I ended up going through the WOSM who made some calls and here is what can be done. Most states WILL NOT pay for you to have the testing done for the flight physical if you are not a card carrying member of the Guard. I was given a list of testing to get done by a civilian provider, that the Flight Surgeon will then assemble into a packet to send to Rucker for a stamp, even as a non-member. I'm mildly annoyed as I would have done this 6 months ago, whereas now the board date is only 3 months away. Fortunately, I already had 90% of what I needed done, done. EKG, Vision, and about half the bloodwork. I'll keep you guys posted here. 

Mike

#54 CharyouTree

CharyouTree

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Company working for:Student/MAARNG

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:34

Which unit/state are you going through?

#55 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 14:38

There are two units out of Concord, NH, and I believe the 238th GSAB is the unit in which I will be applying for a position/going in initially as a 15T. I may have mixed them up though. I know it's an air ambulance company. 

Edited: Looks like I'll be trying as a direct applicant for the September board as there isn't currently 15T availability at the unit.

Mike

#56 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:44

Just an update. Went in and got my flight physical submitted to Rucker today. The unit flight PA doesn't expect I'll need a waiver for my VA rating for back/knee strain. Everything else is good (lab work, EKG, eyes, etc). Crossing my fingers this thing comes back stamped sooner rather than later, and that I don't need any waivers. 

Not much left to do on my part except run an APFT. I think I'd probably run a 260-270 if I ran one right now. I'm in decent shape, but I need to cut my run time and make sure I can actually max out the pushups and sit-ups. I lift regularly, but am more on the high weight lower reps side of the fence. I figure my run time is in the 14:30-15 minute range right now for 2 miles. I'm going to give myself until mid August to train a little more towards the APFT. I'm at an internship that is sucking the life out of me currently so it's been rough. The packet is due September 6th.

Mike

#57 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:14

Glad to report flight physical is stamped! Was worried about the disabiltiy rating stuff, I guess it wasn't an issue.

Running an APFT later this month, and then my packet is all set for the board in September. Right now I'm at about a 255, need to put foot to ass ont he sit-ups thing. I workout regularly, but mainly glamour muscles.

Mike

• StockTrader likes this

#58 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 15:18

Ran my PFT today and dropped my packet with the recruiter and I'm a little disappointed in myself. Easily maxed the pushups, 62 situps and a 16:30 run-time put me at a 243. Nobody to blame but myself. I obviously passed, and didn't do terribly, but I am nonetheless disappointed. The sit-ups are my own fault, but I have been running a good bit faster than that so I'm somewhat surprised with the time. I could feel myself sucking on the run.

I'm in the process of slowly transitioning my workouts to be more endurance based and get away from lifting to reduce the risk of hurting myself and make WOCS, etc easier. I still ruck about 5 miles a day with a 60lb pack.

ETA: May try running this PFT again in 2 weeks

Mike

#59 Fox 21 Alpha

Fox 21 Alpha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:09

Glad to see you got another step out of the way! Been lurking on your thread for awhile as it's a similar route as I'm looking. Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the good work!

#60 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:00

My packet is all set at this point. It's due Sept 6th, so I'm going to have my recruiter hold it for a couple weeks so I can run another PFT. I don't think my score is awful -- However I usually run about 2 minutes faster and was feeling kind of shitty, AND I think I can squeeze out a few more sit-ups, so why not try? Did my 77 push-ups in about 90 seconds though, that's what I get for only working glamour muscles haha. 

Thanks. I'm going to make a consolidated "how to" for the Guard side when I'm done with this process lol. 

Mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

HeliHelmets-VR HomeAble_VRHOme200Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016PrecisionVRForumHome200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200Helmet FX Home 200MaunaLoaVRHome200DevoreHome200NFCVRForum200HomeGenesys VR Forum 200