WOCS Questions

WOCS and WOBC are separate. You will go to WOBC after completing WOCS.

First there is a new WOCSOP.

After you complete basic or transfer from your unit you be put in HHC for several days. During this time you will take the intial APFT, be issued your equipment from CIF, and receive several briefings for orientation. Eventually your class will be picked up on day zero by your TAC officers. For the 7 week course, the first 2 weeks of the course will will be in white phase were you will take two exams and do a 5k ruck march. Also during this time you will be under close supervision by the TAC officers. Once you have completed the first phase you will become gray class. Responsibility will transfer mainly to your class leadership. The will be responsible for making sure that the class is where it needs to be at all times. During the week before the FLX your class should receive their class colors. The FLX happens week 5 or week 3 depend on if you are a 7 or 5 week course. The FLX is the best part of the course. You will do the LRC and land Nav during this time. The rest of the time you rotate various position in your small groups from running the TOC, being the main force, QRF, or OPFOR. The week after the FLX, you will begin turning in equipment, take your final APFT, taking your last classes, and preparing for graduation the next week. Graduation week you will do the class song, victory run, final run, final exam, and finally graduation.

A typical day looks as follows:

0500-0507 Wake up, shave, brush teeth, and make bed

0507-0645 PRT

0645-0705 personal hygiene and common area clean

0705-0800 breakfast

0800-1150 Academics

1150-1230 Lunch

1230-1345 Small groups

1345-1650 Academics

1650-1800 Briefs

1800-1845 Dinner

1845-2000 Briefs

2000-2100 common area clean up

2100-2200 mandatory study time

2200-2245 personal time

2245 lights out

*schedule subject to change based on phase and privileges.

• Like 1

They are in the process of turning it more onto a gentlemen's course. We weren't able to have our phone for a week and a half. When we did it was for 30 minstrel on Wednesday and Saturday, and an hour for Sunday. Your car is locked up the whole time. You will be able to started for a bit on Sunday. The rooms will be 3 people rooms. One individual bed and one bunk bed. At fist the course will feel like you are back at basic, but it get better as you go along.

• Like 1

If(hopefully) and when I go I will be about 10 years removed from Boot Camp (USMC -2008) and 4 years removed from the military. Any "skills" from boot you are expected to remember. Basic drill movements I imagine, land nav, etc?

Beyond the standard APFT, how much should one be running/hiking prior to arriving?

Mike

You will be tested in drill and ceremony. Land Nav is a required part to graduate. It is over 6 square kilometers but you will be allowed to use the road and yes use the roads. They will give you a photographic map with grids and a military map. Most of us didn't even use the military map. There is no rifle qualification.

• Like 1

Headed into the March 7 week course. What's the timeline like on stenciling? Do they give you time to knock it out during the down time in HHC?

You have plenty of time to stencil. Honestly, that should be the least of your concerns.

• Like 3

It's all multiple guess. Some are definitions and some are scenario based. Some of the topics that are covered are military history, leadership, army organization. It's not too hard. You will have plenty of time to study and no one in our class failed any academic exams.

• Like 1

Got my WOCS date of May 11. Wife and daughter are staying with family. Will have a son born early June during WOCS. Household goods will ship from from Alaska once I graduate (I'm street to seat). When family comes down for graduation can they stay in TLF housing of some sorts while we wait for our stuff to come and get a house on base for WOFT? Wondering how to make it so they can can stay at Rucker (hopefully with me) upon my graduation even when all our stuff isn't here yet so they don't have to go back home with family and then make another trip. Any wisdom or insight from anyone as to how this works after WOCS?

Once you complete WOCS, B co(flight school) will allow you to take 10 day PTDY (charge free). Most of us took the leave. The military will reimburse your hotels for the days.

You can also go to the fort rucker housing website and apply for housing once you have orders for Fort rucker. Several of us applied when we were in hold over and were placed on a waiting list. During the last week of WOCS our TAC officers allow us to call housing to finish getting our houses.

Once you complete WOCS, B co(flight school) will allow you to take 10 day PTDY (charge free). Most of us took the leave. The military will reimburse your hotels for the days.

You can also go to the fort rucker housing website and apply for housing once you have orders for Fort rucker. Several of us applied when we were in hold over and were placed on a waiting list. During the last week of WOCS our TAC officers allow us to call housing to finish getting our houses.

Like Tubby said, I applied before WOCS started and my house was ready to move in the day after we graduated.

What are the housing options like for Guard guys that get it set up so they aren't stuck in any bubbles (IE go home between classes). Is it just extended stay hotels? On base housing? Anything furnished?

I'm just imagining it's not worth the PITA to move furniture and stuff from MA down to AL for 12-18 months, when I own a house up here I will be staying at at least during the holidays and stuff. I'm still a ways out though.

Mike

For the guard, I don't know about moving, but all the guard personal went home after WOCS and will return for their WOBC date. Once they come back for WOBC, they will stay here till the completion of the course. Even during bubbles slots open up and the guard get pushed to the front of the line to save the state money.

There are several hotels and apartments that let you set leases based of your time here.

• Like 1

Guard is a PCS move back to Rucker after you graduate WOCS. WOCS is TDY for just you and you stay in the barracks "lockdown".

When you PCS back, you'll be afforded the opportunity to live on base in housing or off base if you choose. Same as active duty.

During my flight school, Guard was pushed ahead of active duty on class rostering to avoid excessive bubbles. My longest one was 3 months. It's unlikely that you'll return to your home state during flight school unless you fail a class or something. The challenge is whether or not to sell your current house, and buy another one when you're done and headed home, or to maintain your house at home as well as live on base.

We were able to keep our house and live at Rucker with no problems.

• Like 3

We'll definitely be keeping our house back here. Not sure how real estate is in AL, but we got lucky with this house and put a lot into it, and the market keeps going up around here and I anticipate it will for the foreseeable future. From my brief research, rent seems really affordable in AL, especially if I split a place with another student. Also, depending on timing my wife may or may not be joining me for something between none and all of my time. I am hoping to time it so I go the year I graduate, so 2018, my wife will be in clinical rotations for PA that entire year, although some can be out of state.

How much of a delay is there typically between WOCS and WOBC?

Thanks all

Mike

We'll definitely be keeping our house back here. Not sure how real estate is in AL, but we got lucky with this house and put a lot into it, and the market keeps going up around here and I anticipate it will for the foreseeable future. From my brief research, rent seems really affordable in AL, especially if I split a place with another student. Also, depending on timing my wife may or may not be joining me for something between none and all of my time. I am hoping to time it so I go the year I graduate, so 2018, my wife will be in clinical rotations for PA that entire year, although some can be out of state.

How much of a delay is there typically between WOCS and WOBC?

Thanks all

Mike

The bubble between WOCS and WOBC varies. We had a of us start the following week of graduation and others have start days within a month or two.