Solo Single Seat Endorsement

I have an interesting question for the CFIs out there.

I have a fixed wing privet pilots license and have been training for a commercial rotorcraft add-on. I have met all of my requirements to take my privet rotor practical but I'm by passing it and going straight for my commercial practical.

I own a small single seat experimental helicopter and I am looking to fly it and build some time.

As per 61.31 I am a private pilots and don't hold a student pilot certificate, so none of the student pilot limitations apply.

My question is how do I get to be signed off to fly my single seat helicopter if I can't be checked out in it?

I found part 61.45 where is says I can take my practical text in a single seat via an examiner and a radio. That makes me believe there's some way to get a sign off to solo.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1

61.31 does not exclude you from the requirements of 61.51 (e) (1) (i).

61.31 covers type ratings not category and class rating changes. Notice the word "and" used throughout not the word "or" when 61.31 talks about category, class, and type rating.

If your not certificated in rotorcraft-helicopter than the only PIC hours you can log will be solo hours, which in a single seater is all you could log. You would need a cfi to endorse you for that.

Being a rated pilot does not qualify you automatically for PIC logging in that helicopter if you dont have category and class in the helicopter.

Now 61.63 does cover the rules you need to follow and states specifically that in order to receive your new add-on you must complete the required training for the rating your adding. So you need to look at 61.129 and make sure you can do whats required there in order to pass a practical exam.

Lastly its only an add-on if you are adding to the current level of certificate you hold. So since your passing up the private and going straight commercial rotorcraft, then its not an add on but a full requirement of training, written, endorsements, PIC hours, cross country, etc etc. this includes dual flight time requirements.

You need to do some research before you waist too much money flying or get in trouble logging hours that shouldnt be logged yet. The Chief Councel letters are a good place to start.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/Interpretations/

Good luck in the flying and stay safe.

John

Chief Instructor

Rocky Mountain Rotors

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.

I do know that when flying solo I can log the time as PIC.

It is not my intention to do all of my training or even take my practical with my single seat. I only mentioned it because surly being able to take a practical in a single seat would mean that somehow the pilot got a solo sign off to practice in it. Right? How would an instructor be able to sign off solo for a single seat aircraft?

That's new one for me. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say. I don't think everyone that buys a single seat aircraft has a rating or has to get one in an aircraft with dual controls. Like I said, I would contact the manufacturer or see if there is an owners group website where you get talk to someone that was in your spot. What kind of helicopter is it?

The manufacture says the R-22 is a suitable prerequisite along with the Schweizer 300. I called the local FSDO on the issue last week. They were not able to give me a firm answer as I'm sure my station is unique and probably comes up rarely. I figured I would ask the internet. The helicopter is called an MH-1 by Millennium Helicopters . A small company that re-engineered the old Mini 500s from the ground up.

I looked into the Helicycle a little bit but I don't know if it's an "apples to apples" comparison. It sounds like you can fly it without being rated in category if:

FAR 61.31(k)(2)(iii)

(k) exceptions:
(2) The rating limitations of this section do not apply to--
(iii) The holder of a pilot certificate when operating an aircraft under the authority of--

An experimental certificate, unless the operation involves carrying a passenger

Is your aircraft in the experimental category? As an aside, the Helicycle will not send you a part of the rotor head until you solo in an R-22 but it sounds like you are good to go after that. Bottom line, I don't think you need any kind of sign off or endorsement. Could you use that time towards a certificate or rating? I don't see why not.

Lastly, I would join EAA. They have a lot of experience with this type of thing.

Edited by helonorth

Yes sir the MH-1 is absolutely an experimental. I have had my solo sign off for a while now. If I can log PIC time I don't see why not I wouldn't be able to log time towards my commercial.

I found this:

61.63(h)

(h) Aircraft category and class rating for the operation of aircraft with an experimental certificate. A person holding a recreational, private, or commercial pilot certificate may apply for a category and class rating limited to a specific make and model of experimental aircraft, provided -

(1) The person logged 5 hours flight time while acting as pilot in command in the same category, class, make, and model of aircraft.

(2) The person received a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who determined the pilot's proficiency to act as pilot in command of the same category, class, make, and model of aircraft.

(3) The flight time specified under paragraph (h)(1) of this section was logged between September 1, 2004 and August 31, 2005.

as usual, i have no useful input, however (there is a reserve for 'howevers'). As a helicopter mechanic, pilot, and rebuilder of certified helicopters, (& a few airplanes). I do NOT like homebuilts-especially helicopters. As a cfi? nope, yer on yer own, not gonna get MY signature in ANY logbook. My stance on homebuilts is and always will be "you built it?, YOU fly it----when yer done with it? YOU destroy it" Should be sold with the bold print "for scrap value only"

• Like 2

All you have is a solo sign-off. That does not give you the skills or ability to teach yourself the techniques and procedures for things like quickstops, advanced autorotations, mountain flying, instrument, and so on. Otherwise there would be no commercial schools, and a lot of smoking holes in the ground.

Do it the right way, pay real money and learn in a real helicopter with a real instructor next to you, and fly your commercial test. Then go play with your toy.

• Like 3

I am a private pilots.

My question is how do I get to be signed off to fly my single seat helicopter if I can't be checked out in it?

You don’t have to get checked out in it. The pertinent regulation does not require you to receive training in the exact make and model for the sign-off endorsement. The regulation reads in part as follows:

“Have received training required by this part that is appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category, class…”

So, find an instructor that’s in agreement that the R22 or Schweizer-300 meets the requirements for an endorsement under §61.31[d], as “appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category, class…” In other words, training in the R22 or Schweizer-300 is appropriate training, category and class, needed to operate the MH-1.

The only way to act as PIC without the appropriate ratings is to complete solo flight time under a § 61.31 [d] endorsement. Likewise, in your case, the only way to log PIC flight time without holding the appropriate ratings is as the sole occupant of the aircraft which also requires a solo endorsement under§ 61.31[d].

To receive that endorsement, a pilot must have received the training required under part 61 "appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown”. §61.31[d][2]

The manufacture says the R-22 is a suitable prerequisite along with the Schweizer 300.

Yes sir the MH-1 is absolutely an experimental. I have had my solo sign off for a while now. (Post #7)

I called the local FSDO on the issue last week. They were not able to give me a firm answer

§61.31[d] Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on operating an aircraft as the pilot in command. To serve as the pilot in command of an aircraft, a person must—

(1) Hold the appropriate category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown; or

(2) Have received training required by this part that is appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown, and have received an endorsement for solo flight in that aircraft from an authorized instructor.

Note: Also see §61.31 [2] [iii] Exceptions: Holding aircraft category and class notwithstanding for aircraft under the authority of an experimental certificate. In other words, holding category and class is not required to fly an experimental aircraft; However, training to the appropriate category and class is required for solo flight.

Additional Endorsements

70. To act as PIC of an aircraft in solo operations when the pilot does not hold an appropriate category/class rating: § 61.31(d)(2).

I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has received the training as required by § 61.31(d)(2) to serve as a PIC in a (specific category and class of aircraft). I have determined that he/she is prepared to serve as PIC in that (make and model) aircraft. Limitations: (optional).

/s/ [date] J. J. Jones 987654321CFI Exp. 12-31-19

REF: Certification: AC 61-65F - Pilots and Flight and Ground Instructors

Edited by iChris