RotorWay water landing for search / rescue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45EGhLfIwC8&feature=youtu.be

This video is only a demonstration for search and rescue , to show the ability to fly , hover and even land in water safely with the extra power available of my own designed turbo engine . Inanda dam South Africa Dec. 2016

One of the best things in my life is flying my reliable turbo RW which offers almost endless possibilities.

The second best thing is my hobby, which is to produce informative and interesting videos to show how our RWs are able to stand up against any other piston engine helicopters and even outperform them at altitude.

https://youtu.be/45EGhLfIwC8

• Like 1

That is a cool little machine, I wish the 22 I fly had a paint job like that.

Tell me something Arthur, I just got a Safety Alert from Robinson about low-g mast bumping accidents, which I guess are a thing again? Do you Rotorway guys have any problems with that issue?

I just got a Safety Alert from Robinson about low-g mast bumping accidents, which I guess are a thing again? Do you Rotorway guys have any problems with that issue?

I'm pretty sure that any 2 bladed underslung teetering M/R is subject to mast bumping. Fully articulated is the way to go---but then you have the ground resonance issues. Can't win for losing.

Oh and Arthur? How do you tell how deep the water is? Keep lowering collective till the water comes in the door? J/K, but? i do know the depth can be very deceiving and a couple of inches do matter at times.

Edited by pokey

I'm pretty sure that any 2 bladed underslung teetering M/R is subject to mast bumping. Fully articulated is the way to go---but then you have the ground resonance issues. Can't win for losing.

It was more a question of do Rotorways attract the same types of pilots who seem to be more prone to creating the issue?

Thanks for all comments

Mast bumping can happen to all teetering rotors if one put the nose down rapidly. But on our Rotorway was never a report on the forum regarding that problem .

For my video , my son checked the water depth carefully before landing.

As the video demonstrate one could land in very shallow water for emergency if necessary .

It was also a demonstration how versatile our Rotorway is ,but not recommended for normal flying .

• Like 1

floats are 'interesting' to say the least. Upon startup & then engaging the rotor with a 300, you can expect at least 270 degrees rotation B4 the tailrotor becomes effective enuf to stop it. --Just something to think about, make sure tail is clear ! ice is pretty much the same thing, & can be a heap of fun, (as long as you are sure the ice is thick enuf) 0r are on a slick ramp.

• Like 1