Do people like their flying jobs?

mudkow60

I got roasted on the other forum (just left for good) for expressing my passion for flying... so, serious question:

Do folks enjoy their flying jobs? This forum seems to have a more positive attitude towards our profession and life in general, so I was just wondering.

I can tell you that I love flying, and would not trade it for anything.

Thanks,

Mud

• Like 2

I love renting a 22 whenever I have the extra cash, and flying alone over the city at night! Best hobby in the world by far!!!

,...that's a positive as I get :)

Oh yeah, I get free fries today so Merry Christmas too!

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 1

Yeah, I got paid well to do my hobby, and would never consider renting an aircraft for enjoyment. Now after being on the ground for 3 years I don't miss flying at all, I get all the fun I need sitting in business class with a cocktail and pitying the poor pilots up front who have to stay awake.

• Like 3

Flying helicopters has been an absolutely incredible experience and taken me on the adventure of a lifetime. It has given me the opportunity to live in CA, FL, NY, HI and LA. Flying in the GoM now allows me to travel all over the US and internationally w/ a 14/14 schedule. I really enjoy the lifestyle that flying in the GoM offers. I have a good time w/ the guys I fly around offshore. When the weather is good and everything is running smoothly it can feel monotonous, but there are enough bad weather days and last minutes changes to keep things interesting.

It hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows, though. Working as a flight instructor was absolutely brutal to say the least. I was exhausted every day. While I enjoyed teaching, the long hours and low pay created a very toxic lifestyle. After 2 years I felt I was reaching my breaking point. It lead to a slightly better paying job flying R44s in HI, which seemed like it would provide some financial relief and the opportunity to live in paradise. I loved living in Hawaii, but was still struggling financially. I also discovered that the role of a tour pilot was a terrible fit for my personality. I was bitter and depressed, and it weighed heavily on my relationship. While I can't place all of the blame on my career, it was certainly a factor. I ended up getting divorced. After the divorce I got a job w/ one of the big companies in HI and was finally making a real paycheck. It allowed me to live very comfortably, do all sorts of cool activities and have quite a bit of fun outside of work. At that time though I still struggled emotionally w/ the divorce, and despised being a tour guide. Once again, I found myself burnt out and questioning my decision to fly professionally. Switching from tours into the GoM was a monumental turning point in my career. For the first time, I felt that I had everything I wanted; financial stability, free time and a job that is a 'good fit'.

It took 5 years flying professionally to get that job. Was it worth it? Hell yeah! All those rough patches aside, I've been able to experience so many amazing things that a 'normal' 9-5 desk job could never offer. I love flying helicopters and cherish my time in the air and the places I've lived. Not to mention all of the incredible people I've met along the way. Cant imagine doing anything else.

Edited by Hand_Grenade_Pilot
  • Like 6

I wouldn't do anything else. I plan to fly as long as I can keep my medical. Money is ok for me, opportunity is there to make more if you like work over.

• Like 1

Mud, I saw the grief the guys on the bad forum gave you. And I've got to tell you, that forum has really gone to sh*t. I mean, man! You can't post *anything* on there anymore that isn't met with ridicule and derision and negativity. It's toxic - even I dont post there anymore. Damn, and people call *me* an a-hole! That place is chock-full of them. Sometimes it makes me ashamed to be a helicopter pilot. (I *think* some posters there really believe they're being funny. But they either have no sense of humor or a very warped and sick one. It's really quite pathetic.)

Anyway, on to your question

There are really two questions here: 1) Do we still love to fly, and; 2) Do people enjoy their jobs?

I've been at this for a long, long time. And yeah, I still love to fly - love the feeling of yanking up on the big lever as fast as I can and feeling the helicopter just about get into dynamic rollover as it lurches free of the earth. Then I enjoy staggering around like a drunk teenager on St. Patty's Day, looking like the hapless victim of a hydraulic failure in a hover. Yeah, I still love all that sh*t. Flying is magic for me, and probably always will be. It's an experience akin to sex (an act of which I have fond, if vague and distant memories - well okay, memory).

Have I had flying jobs I disliked? Oh yeah! I flew for a rich guy doing some quasi-corporate/personal work. It got so bad that every time the phone rang I cringed, because I knew we'd be doing some wacky sh*t that would probably end up with me working through the weekend or whatever holiday was coming up. We flew EVERY holiday. *And* the boss expected me to put in face time at HQ during the week.

"Any time you need some time off, just tell me," the boss said in the beginning. And so I did! Once in four years.

The Foo Fighters were coming to town and I really wanted to see them. (It was a long time ago and I was a lot younger.) Told the boss about it weeks in advance. Reminded him the week prior. "No problem," he said. Well of course, the day of the concert a flight came up (to his hunting camp) that we just *had* to do, and he just *had* to keep me out so long that I missed the concert. F*cker. I hated that guy and hated that job. And I dont hate anything! Or I try not to, anyway.

I've quit flying a number of times. First was in 2001 when I left PHI. I'd hit 10,000 hours and I said, I'm done! But I guess I wasn't. I got lured for one job (which was okay), then another (which I loved!), then that corporate/personal disaster. Ugh. And now I'm flying a Sikorsky S-55 that's as old as me up in Washington State in the summertime when the weather is fine... Or maybe I should say I'm as old as the helicopter, which was built in 1955. This latest is just a part-time gig and it's pretty cool.

Look, flying is great. We all love to fly, even Butters, Im sure. But do it for money and it becomes a j-o-b. And some jobs are better than others. You've just got to keep your perspective and not let the job sour you on the flying. Yes, it can happen. And for the love of God, stop posting on the bad forum! The few have ruined it for the many and they seem to be proud of it! I know for a fact that Lyn wears rubber gloves, scrubs and a surgical mask when he moderates that place. Okay, I dont actually know that for a fact; I read it on Morgan Freemans Facebook page.

Merry Christmas! (Which I offer because I'm posting this on Christmas Day. Now, back to cooking!)

• Like 2

Thanks all!

It did sting a bit, to post something I thought showed the joy of why we (or, at least I) fly, and then get shart on by so many people that (I can only assume) wouldn't have the nerve to stand near me in person and talk 1/2 the junk they feel free to spew on-line.

I love flying... I did almost 1000 hrs of instructing in the Jet Ranger (TH-57) in a tad over two years.. and I can tell you, aside from the joy of seeing a student have the light bulb turn on for the first time, I savored the crack of the igniters and the smooth rotation of the twist grip as the rotors began to spin... each and every time... well, once, the student went full open in less that one second, and my wrist was powerless to stop it.

I very much look forward to entering the next, civilian, phase of my flying career. I have and never will do it just for the money. I am excited that someone is willing to trust (and, of course, pay) me to fly their machine.

Thanks for the cheer-up. I was a bit down after I saw the dog pile I received yesterday.

Off to build more toys (good lord, does it ever end?), drink booze, watch football, and get my 12 hrs before duty tomorrow.

Merry Christmas (or whatever holiday you choose to celebrate)...

Remember, the bbq is almost always on here in Puerto Rico...message me if you are in my neck of the Caribbean.

• Like 1

Agreeing with Nearly regarding the other forum. Makes me ashamed to be associated sometimes. Lyn deleted a topic yesterday with the title Merry Christmas and filled with political hate speech and arguments.

"When you give a man a mask he will show you his true face."

• Like 1

As much as I hate it when you guys ruin the internet with all your positive vibes and optimism, I'm glad you love your job. I spent the first twenty years after high school searching for a career path (any career path) I'd love, never found it,...so I am a bit envious.

Happy Festavis!

:)

• Like 1

I love my job and still love flying. That being said, I have never met a higher concentration of people that complain about having to fly than when I am at work. A lot of the pilots at my company do it because it's a good money job that they can get with little effort after getting out of the military, not because they particularly like flying.

I can't judge, I did the same thing. Except after I realized that I didn't want to make a career out of what I was doing, I took a pay cut and started flying.

• Like 2

I can't complain. My job allows me to fly a little or a lot, fly missions, maintenance and instructor flights, VFR and IFR, and when I'm not flying I work at a desk and come up with ways to improve our program with no supervisor breathing down my neck. It pays pretty well, too. Most days I'd rather be at work than anyplace else. Either I'm really damn strange or I have a cool job.

• Like 1

Do folks enjoy their flying jobs? This forum seems to have a more positive attitude towards our profession and life in general, so I was just wondering.

Sure, I enjoy my flying job although I’m talking about the actual flying part…

Dealing with the egotistical maniacs this business seems to attract can make this job extremely frustrating. Maybe, just maybe, that’s why you experienced the level of pessimism, negativity or attitude over on the Original side. Maybe it’s a systemic industry cultural issue. And BTW, make no mistake, it’s here on VR too……

• Like 1

I enjoy what I do. I get to start fires from a helicopter, support fire fighting operations, occasionally drop water on fire, see awesome landscapes I've never seen before each year, always landing somewhere different, etc. The only downside is that you can end up being away from family for an extended period during the summer months.

Now if I can just find a way to get into an airplane gig without losing my heli recency...

You worried about three takeoffs and landings?

I'm not worried about 3 t/o landings. Depending on the employer, some may require that you've flown so many hours in helicopters commercially in the last 12 months.

I like it! I'll even tell you about it because I'm a pilot so naturally I love talking about myself.

According to my parents and my memories I've loved anything that has moved wind since I was a toddler. Standing out in the yard with flags and pinwheels looking up at birds and planes. Growing up I knew I'd end up flying. I spent every penny earned during my summer jobs on model planes. Lots of hours spent in the airplane section of the library reading books and looking at pictures. I did science fair projects on airplanes and played Flight Simulator on the computer.

Eventually, girls, snowboarding, and cars distracted me for a few years. But 11 years ago an airshow and a movie got me back into the swing of things and I decided to take my first flying lesson. I got a job at the airport as a line guy, I spent every penny on flight training, I tried to get a degree so that I could get an airline job.

Eventually, I gave up on it after spending too much money and becoming overwhelmed with trying to work full time while also going to school full time, with nothing left over for flying. The Army took me and I've been flying choppers for them ever since. I've flown all over the U.S., flown in two foreign countries, in combat, in peacetime, good weather and bad. It's been awesome.

Pulling off the sleeping bag, shaving out of a canteen cup, then walking out of the wood line to the bird and pulling pitch to leave it all behind for a few hours is a wonderful feeling.

But, while I love the flying, I'm tired of the Army. Some people thrive in the service, I feel drained by it. It's time to fly for someone other than Uncle Sam. I can't say whether I will enjoy it or not, or if I will even find success in a new job. I have obligations to my family and myself that may eventually draw me away from flying helicopters professionally. I hope not, I hope to continue my career and be able to make it fit in with the other parts of my life. When I left home on this adventure I had a goal in mind to return someday and fly airlift helicopters over Puget Sound. That's still my goal. But marriage, kids, and family have a larger pull than spinning rotors.

Yes, I like my flying job.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Flying helicopters has been an absolutely incredible experience and taken me on the adventure of a lifetime. It has given me the opportunity to live in CA, FL, NY, HI and LA. Flying in the GoM now allows me to travel all over the US and internationally w/ a 14/14 schedule. I really enjoy the lifestyle that flying in the GoM offers. I have a good time w/ the guys I fly around offshore. When the weather is good and everything is running smoothly it can feel monotonous, but there are enough bad weather days and last minutes changes to keep things interesting.

It hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows, though. Working as a flight instructor was absolutely brutal to say the least. I was exhausted every day. While I enjoyed teaching, the long hours and low pay created a very toxic lifestyle. After 2 years I felt I was reaching my breaking point. It lead to a slightly better paying job flying R44s in HI, which seemed like it would provide some financial relief and the opportunity to live in paradise. I loved living in Hawaii, but was still struggling financially. I also discovered that the role of a tour pilot was a terrible fit for my personality. I was bitter and depressed, and it weighed heavily on my relationship. While I can't place all of the blame on my career, it was certainly a factor. I ended up getting divorced. After the divorce I got a job w/ one of the big companies in HI and was finally making a real paycheck. It allowed me to live very comfortably, do all sorts of cool activities and have quite a bit of fun outside of work. At that time though I still struggled emotionally w/ the divorce, and despised being a tour guide. Once again, I found myself burnt out and questioning my decision to fly professionally. Switching from tours into the GoM was a monumental turning point in my career. For the first time, I felt that I had everything I wanted; financial stability, free time and a job that is a 'good fit'.

It took 5 years flying professionally to get that job. Was it worth it? Hell yeah! All those rough patches aside, I've been able to experience so many amazing things that a 'normal' 9-5 desk job could never offer. I love flying helicopters and cherish my time in the air and the places I've lived. Not to mention all of the incredible people I've met along the way. Cant imagine doing anything else.

did you find that leaving the good paying operator in HI caused you to make less money in the GOM for a few years when you were first hired till you got upgraded into bigger aircraft making better money?