Your Dream Job

r22butters

I've never had a "dream job", but this was pretty close,...

Years ago there used to be a company (I don't remember which one) who had a helicopter right on the Vegas Strip (somewhere near the Monty Carlo if I recall correctly?). I walked passed it many times on many Vegas excursions, it just sitting there all night, blades spinning, people being loaded on and off periodically for its roughly ten minute trip to the other end and back.

Then one night (shortly after I became a Private pilot) as I walked by on my way to Sbarros for a slice, I decided to take a ride. I remember sitting there in the front seat of that Jet Ranger ice cold air hitting me in the face (it was about ninety outside that night) gazing at the lights below, music playing through my headset, the really cool pivoting turn he did at the far end, and for the first time thought to myself, "This would be an awesome job"!

Sadly this exact job no longer exits. Maybe that's why its so easy for me to tell commercial flying to piss off, who knows?

So, what job made you want to not just fly, but fly for a living?

Las%20VegasHelicopterTours_1.jpg

This may have been the place, hard to remember exactly, and googling them makes it seem as if they never existed?,...maybe it was just a dream? Certainly enough pictures of that stupid clown that was nearby :wacko:

Edited by r22butters

Butters,

Successful people seek out the positive, build up the passion in others, talk positively towards their outlook, surround themselves with those whom they know will lift them up as they fight for success.

Unsuccessful people, speak negatively, destroy the passion of others around them with sadness, push back against those who can build them up.

This industry is a tough one, clearly you dont want it, so why do you come here to spoil the environment of success for those who are seeking wisdom, guidance, shared dreams, passion, excitement?

My dream job is what I do. I nurture the passion of those around me with solid, professional, successful instruction, I live the dream with those who came to see the skys and earth below for the first time, I feel the world melt beneath me as rotors turn and wind slips by.

Every flight a smile, a dream, a passion, a wonder to embrace. To share this with the world everyday...there is no greater dream job.

Merry Christmas Vertical Brothers and Sisters!

Edited by WolftalonID
  • Like 1

Butters,

This industry is a tough one, clearly you dont want it, so why do you come here to spoil the environment of success for those who are seeking wisdom, guidance, shared dreams, passion, excitement?

Every Yin must have its Yang!

,...hmmm, that sounds a litle dirty :D

• Like 1

my dream job would have nothing to do with aviation, wrenches, rivets, or any one that has anything to do with any of that. I would like to win the lotto and my job would be to bark drink orders to the scantily clad young bikini waitresses on the beach in paradise. (now butters? if yer gonna dream, forget about helicopters in vegas)

• 2 weeks later...

Butters, I remember seeing that 206 many times. The ticket office was closest to the strip and changed in size a few times, the pad was behind it...

I grew up in a small town in Northern California that PJ Helicopters is based out of. PJ Helicopters is a utility outfit that flies mainly utility 133 and 135, with some heavy fire work during the season. The middle school I went to sat just a couple miles from their facility; I would see their helicopters on approach and departure every day while I was at school. I thought that would be the coolest job around! Flying helicopters everyday for a living??? I was onboard!

A little bit later on during high school, I picked up a part time job with them working around the hangar and their helicopters. First actual job ever and I got to hang around helicopters after school (insert cool factor here.)

The icing on the cake for me was getting to sit front seat in one of their B205s with one of the owners coming back from a concrete laying job. I had my head sticking out the window like a puppy sticking his head out of a moving car!

All of that was in 2002. Fifteen years later now, six years of military time, three years of college, three years of flight school, and three years of time building jobs and I can say I've recently surpassed the good ol 1500 hour Pilot in Command mark. Feeling pretty damn accomplished. It was just a wet dream many many years ago for me, but through all the hard work, dedication, sacrifices, listening to others success stories, listening to others guidance and wisdom, I've made my dream a reality. Can't stop, won't stop!

Edited by RagMan
  • Like 1

I remember that place, I got to ride up front in the American Flag Longranger when I was about 10 for a night tour. I think they'd been closed a good 5-10 years by the time I went to flight school or else I too would have tried hard to fly with them when I had the hours. Dream job is to be an aerial firefighter, did my first season last year and look forward to another awsome one this year!

• 1 month later...

My dream would be to fly in the mountains of BC or Alaska, and be able to share my passion of flying and the outdoors with people.

I was a fishing guide in Alaska the summer before I got my first CFI job. I would love to do fly out "heli fishing" tours, or drop rafters off and pick them up, drop people at alpine lakes to go kayaking for a few hours, and of course heli skiing.

A man can dream....