Could this be a pilot shortage,...of a kind?

r22butters

Not one, but two ads for an ag intern (well one says apprentice, but tomayto/tomawto). There's even a third ad, but they want an experienced pilot.

Still, in ten years on the job boards I've never seen this many ads for ag pilots all at once! Could be a new "shortage" for some school to capitalize on!?

Maybe ag is where those elusive Vietnam Pilots have been hiding?

I know two Vietnam pilots that have recently retired...one was a physical therapist and the other was a Doctor...

Funny, I know one too.

,...he was a dispatcher for Fedex! HA!

There is only one ad for an AG pilot. The other are ground jobs.

I was under the impression that ground crew was the entry level path to ag pilot?

Are you suggesting that those other two aren't looking for a pilot to fill a future need, but instead are just luring in some unsuspecting schmo to work ground crew with the false promise of flying?

I was under the impression that ground crew was the entry level path to ag pilot?

Are you suggesting that those other two aren't looking for a pilot to fill a future need, but instead are just luring in some unsuspecting schmo to work ground crew with the false promise of flying?

Ground crew IS an entry level path to being an AG pilot. Again, two of those job postings were still for ground crew, not a pilot. Pilot "can" be the end result if you bust your hump hard enough and you put forth the effort to figure out the system and not screw it up. The boss also has to have an empty seat for you to advance into.

One of my former coworkers did the ground crew ag gig. Did about 1 1/2 years driving the trucks and mixing the chemicals. He kept following the carrot that was dangling in front of him until he got fed up of being promised a front seat job. He got to ferry the aircraft a bit for about 6 whole flight hours, but never got moved up to the front seat to spray. He left that job and flew tours where I currently work.

Take it all with a grain a salt, is what I say. If I'm looking to be a pilot in command for someone, I'm going to accept a job that puts me in the front seat full time. If you know what you're worth, then go get what you're worth.

• Like 2

Did about 1 1/2 years driving the trucks and mixing the chemicals. He kept following the carrot that was dangling in front of him until he got fed up of being promised a front seat job.

I had forgotten that ag operators can be assholes too,...which is hard to believe since they kicked me in the balls three times over the years!

On second thought f*ck ag! Hope they're all replaced by drones!

• Like 1

Just getting ready for the season, nothing wrong with working ground crew, nobody is going to hand off a helicopter on a contract with 150 hours total time! It takes year's to work your way up in Ag if that is were you want to go! There is a lot at stake in that part of aviation, look up the rules and what you have to do when you are handling economic poisons and what happens to you if you put it in the wrong place or wrong amounts! It's not a time building job no matter what a flight school says. It's mid Jan and well you would think the seasonal jobs will start posting for pilots? Not much is being posted, so much for pilot shortages! I been hearing that old chestnut for 42+ years now!