What's wrong with this picture?

r22butters

Despite the tail rotor is reasonably protected, such tail strike is an unacceptable event during a instructional flight, that the CFI *must* prevent by all means. I thought that it was always this way, but this video shows otherwise. How things changed over time. Nice video anyway!

We struck the tail all the time in flight school with nothing happening other than a scraped up tail stinger. Learning to take off, hover, do autorotations, etc. I trust the IPs at Fort Rucker to know what they're doing... It's different when it's the government's dime I guess.

• Like 1

Maybe there's a cultural difference here. The only thing I can say for sure is how I was taught, but of course this is not necessarily the "right" or the "best" way at all.

The stinger is dubbed here as "snitch", ready to point a finger on the last person who flew the bird and happened to do a tail strike. I didn't know this was a local thing.

Well, in the end, both approaches work, as any trained pilot is supposed to never contact the tail to the ground anyway.

Cheers!

What that dude did was nothing, a mere tap! You want a tail strike here ya go!

,...still like to know why they aren't wearing headsets? When he goes solo it looks like there's couple hanging up behind them,...?

That ball cap while walking under the rotor gave you a twitch? It does me.

I've seen it many of times. I've done it a few times, but always had my hand on it. The only time I've seen a hat come off was from people standing 20-30 feet away when the helicopter pulled pitch.

In the case I saw it take a tumble it went down and away, but I'll be in the right situation it could get into the vortex and come up into the rotor.

• 3 weeks later...

What is wrong with it?

Student didn't get a thumbs-up before entering under the rotor

didn't hold his cap while under the rotor

instructor wasn't guarding the collective while student clambered over it

stinger strike = stop the flight

cap wasn't keeping the sun out of his eyes, but let the camera see his steely-eyed stare OK

solo wasn't solo, as the cameraman was on board

student left aircraft with engine running, but luckily the weight-on-seat switch turned it off for the Wings Presentation

Luckily I learned to fly in 1969, when colour had been invented. Wouldn't like to fly under grey skies all the time, I like a bit of blue.