Anybody going to HeliExpo Dallas in March?

LionHeart

Do low timers even break into the industry anymore? I was told that 1000 hours in a piston actually disqualifies most applicants for being such chumps...

The few CFI's I have known in recent times who have broken into the industry (and thus broken free from the shackles of teaching in lowly pistons) had closer to 2000hrs (in said dreaded pistons).

So, yes, I guess with just a mere 1000hrs you are still a chump in today's market!

takefootoff, if you go on your job hunt thinking that is the case, then it will become true for you. I know there are a few who will say I'm full of crap, but you are in more control than you realize when it comes time to break into the turbine world. Even at a lowly 1k hours. I know this because I did it not long ago, and I have seen many others right behind me do the same thing. The magic component that they all had was not being close to 2k hours instead of 1k hours. It was that they had the right attitude and were convinced that they had earned a spot at the next level. Any operator worth a damn knows that the character and attitude and personality of the applicant is worth far more than a few more hours in the logbook.

I will continue to say this as long as I see that it is true. Attitude is everything. Now take that idea, and go out and get the damn job! It is yours for the taking, or you can talk them into passing you over.

You can either listen to someone who has made this happen (got hired at 1000.2 PIC), or you can listen to someone who has only been a roadblock to his own career progression.

• Like 2

My point behind the 0.2 was that I was barely over the minimum, thanks for the input though. Very valuable.

• Like 1

My point behind the 0.2 was that I was barely over the minimum, thanks for the input though. Very valuable.

I can't deny your experience, can't deny your good attitude, can't deny your good luck/hard work/dedication either....your experience is a great motivator for sure.

But you gotta appreciate the cynicism a 550hr CFI-I develops as a coping mechanism after he looks at a job posting for seasonal turbine tour gig where they have the audacity to ask for 2000TT, 250 Turbine, etc.

But you gotta appreciate the cynicism a 550hr CFI-I develops as a coping mechanism after he looks at a job posting for seasonal turbine tour gig where they have the audacity to ask for 2000TT, 250 Turbine, etc.

Don't forget the posting for 1500hrs to fly tours in an R44!

You can either listen to someone who has made this happen (got hired at 1000.2 PIC), or you can listen to someone who has only been a roadblock to his own career progression.

You're probably right. In fact I'll bet that the reason the guy who did my BFR last year didn't finally move out of teaching until he had 1900 some odd hours was because of my experiences with this cold, heartless, unforgiving, two-faced industry!

Well guess who just posted a job ad? You want me to put in a good word for ya?,...aaaahhh ha ha ha haaaaaa! :D

I would be honored butters...if only I had a bit more 44 time.

When I first interviewed there I only had 80hrs in the 44. On our last interview he said it was my personality, not my shortness in 44 time, that prompted him to not offer me the job then. So, if you have a nice, outgoing, people-friendly, personality, who knows,...?

Anyway, although I hated that place, a younger, more ambitious, and energetic, pilot would probably handle the conditions much better?,...being ex-military would definitely help too!

Do low timers even break into the industry anymore? I was told that 1000 hours in a piston actually disqualifies most applicants for being such chumps...

Say what you want man, but I've worked hard to get to 1000 hours and if I see a chance to further my career (even a small chance) I'm going after it.

Say what you want man, but I've worked hard to get to 1000 hours and if I see a chance to further my career (even a small chance) I'm going after it.

Of course man, keep on keeping on. No doubt, a lot of continual hard work is what it takes whether the industry is booming or not.

What I'm griping about is the hour requirements on entry level jobs in the US that don't pay well, something I heard coming from a laid off GOM pilot.

I'm probably gonna end up in Southeast Asia or the south pacific once I hit the 1000hr mark.

"But did you die?" should be the basic interview question....haha.

So what if you have 1.2k hrs? Lol

"But did you die?" should be the basic interview question....haha.

So what if you have 1.2k hrs? Lol

Well, then now you are overqualified! You waited too long. Haha

• Like 1

You guys think GOM is "entry level"? Maybe that is your problem.

I don't see any reference to what you're saying. See tours and R44 gigs, that is all. Nothing about GOM being entry level anywhere in sight.