Prior Service LoR's

Hello All,

New to the forum, and a few days deep into my research/packet assembly. 5 yrs AD Navy Aviation Structural Mechanic(AM). Got out in 2011 as an E-5, started college with hope to get into flight school. Still in college, life happened, too old (31 in March) for Navy pilot.

Being that I was/am in the Navy aviation community and I am now a civilian, I know a few Navy pilots that I could get LOR's from. Recruiter said "LOR from ANY source..." would do to meet req's. For civilians, is it necessary to have Army WO's LOR's? Will I be more competitive with both Army/Navy?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am still in the process of assembling my packet too, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have been told it is not a requirement to have the Army WO LOR. That being said, it can't hurt. It seems to me it would reflect well on you by showing that you have taken the time to get a recommendation from a member of the community.

I would attempt to meet and interview with a senior WO (Army). However it is not a requirement, the individuals (Navy Pilots) who write you a LOR will be more personal. The one from the Army WO shows that you put in the effort to reach out and we're "screened" by one of their own.

This is strictly my opinion, as a WO1 who applied from the Marine Corps, but was able to reach out and attain a LOR from a CW4.

• Like 1

I would attempt to meet and interview with a senior WO (Army). However it is not a requirement, the individuals (Navy Pilots) who write you a LOR will be more personal. The one from the Army WO shows that you put in the effort to reach out and we're "screened" by one of their own.

This is strictly my opinion, as a WO1 who applied from the Marine Corps, but was able to reach out and attain a LOR from a CW4.

Great point, I did not think of it from that angle.

I was in the same boat, I had one prior service LoR and, 3 civilian managers, and an Army WO. From what I gathered once I got here, it wasn't a necessity.

Also- I'm from Virginia Beach. If you need any contacts shoot me a pm and I can help you out.

• 1 month later...

I was in the same boat, I had one prior service LoR and, 3 civilian managers, and an Army WO. From what I gathered once I got here, it wasn't a necessity.

Also- I'm from Virginia Beach. If you need any contacts shoot me a pm and I can help you out.

PM sent (for those who are following the post)

Marty,

Where are you located?

Mike-

Mike,

Your posts have been very informative. I have read through your comments. When I get my SIFT, APFT and Physical done, I would be willing to fly to your location, given the invitation is still open for interviews with individuals meeting those requirements.

Thanks,

Marty