Homelife / Deployment rotations

So, flying has been a dream of mine since I can remember. Through my brief navy career, I always thought it was unattainable. Call it immaturity, or lack of foresight.

With that, I am concerned about the Army's deployments, rather that lack of information I have been able to find specifically on the aviation side of the house.

Does anyone have any insight on rotations? I know ground troops are still pushing a 12 month deployment. What about aviation units? For example, a typical Navy cycle is 6-8 months deployed 18 months downtime/working up to the next deployment.

Before you fry me, let me say this. Im not looking to collect a paycheck, I fully understand deployments are GOING to happen. This is not only my decision, I need my wife to be prepared for what is to come and be on board. Not trying to be a statistic. I also understand OPSEC so just looking for general time frames, nothing too specific.

Thanks in advance for the info

I haven't heard of a BCT doing a 12 month deployment in a long time. They're usually 6-9 months it seems like.

Ok, see the latest information I have seen was still around 12 months. I was on the internet so you know... its true.

Aviation units right around the 6-9 mark as well?

I would say most active units are almost always 9 months, and I believe reserve and guard units get 12 month rotations frequently. At least with a 12 month you'll get R&R

Guard units are 9 months BOG, 12 total (supposed to include train up and leave after return).

I can't speak for active duty but we don't get R&R anymore, and I honestly doubt AD does either.

Guard units are 9 months BOG, 12 total (supposed to include train up and leave after return).

I can't speak for active duty but we don't get R&R anymore, and I honestly doubt AD does either.

ahh gotcha. And for active guys I believe anything over 9 months they are supposed to get R&R, some officers in my unit volunteered to stay to fill understaffed positions on our deployment and got the R&R

Thanks for the good info.

How long between deployments? Is it 12 months out, 12 months home?

Purple.

Seriously. Don't ask questions like this.

Deployments happen. Less now than ever, but they happen. If you're concerned about deployments, you're in the wrong business. Accept it as a part of your job (it is the point of your job), and be ready to go when you are told to go.

Army regulation says you accrue "dwell time", i.e., time during which you may not deploy, at a 1:1 ratio for time deployed. So if you deploy for 9 months, you cannot leave again for 9 months. However, that requirement can be waived by a General Officer without your permission, so in reality, its just a nice suggestion.

As an Army we are not deploying much at all. Aviation is on the deployment schedule more because of our needed services, but it is still pretty sparse. You will honestly be incredibly FORTUNATE if you end up on a combat deployment.

in addition to combat deployments there are many units performing rotational assignments to Korea and Europe for several months at a time. You aren't being shot at, but you are away from home. These are popping up more and more often. You could also end up going TDY for several months at a time for training, or for a course your unit needs your trained on.

In 5.5 years in the Army the longest I have been in one place has been during flight school. You're going to be gone at some point.

And with a new POTUS and badass SecDef, once can only guess things will get busier.

So, if your hoping to not deploy or hope you'll get to spend all kinds of time at home, this might not be the route youre looking at.

• Like 1

Purple.

Deployments happen. Less now than ever, but they happen. If you're concerned about deployments, you're in the wrong business. Accept it as a part of your job (it is the point of your job), and be ready to go when you are told to go.

Army regulation says you accrue "dwell time", i.e., time during which you may not deploy, at a 1:1 ratio for time deployed. So if you deploy for 9 months, you cannot leave again for 9 months. However, that requirement can be waived by a General Officer without your permission, so in reality, its just a nice suggestion.

As an Army we are not deploying much at all. Aviation is on the deployment schedule more because of our needed services, but it is still pretty sparse. You will honestly be incredibly FORTUNATE if you end up on a combat deployment.

in addition to combat deployments there are many units performing rotational assignments to Korea and Europe for several months at a time. You aren't being shot at, but you are away from home. These are popping up more and more often. You could also end up going TDY for several months at a time for training, or for a course your unit needs your trained on.

In 5.5 years in the Army the longest I have been in one place has been during flight school. You're going to be gone at some point.

And with a new POTUS and badass SecDef, once can only guess things will get busier.

So, if your hoping to not deploy or hope you'll get to spend all kinds of time at home, this might not be the route youre looking at.

***See original post*** "Before you fry me, let me say this. Im not looking to collect a paycheck, I fully understand deployments are GOING to happen."

I've done deployments. I get deployments happen. I pity the person who doesn't do their homework, or at least ask questions before making a commitment such as the military. I knew a lot of people, as I'm sure all of us do in the service, who joined on a whim and they were incessantly bitching 2 months into a 9 month deployment. The military does not need more uninformed bitchers.

I am hoping to get a feel for how the Army works its deployment "schedule" so I can make an informed decision and prepare my family if I'm lucky enough to get selected.

What I am looking for here is solid information, not engaging in debates. Bigfoot, thanks for the solid information. Most comprehensive answer yet.

The thing you need to realize, which is what Bigfoot was trying to push across, is that you can't rely on a schedule. That's why you can't find much information on it. It's different than the Navy. There are 12 month deployments, 15 month deployments, 9 month deployments, hell even 4 month deployments. Or should I say, deployments and "rotations." I appreciate you're trying to keep your family informed, but at the same time you can't tell them "generally there's a 12 month deployment followed by X months dwell time" because that's just going to set up some unrealistic expectations. Besides, that's not including all the NTC/JRTC/miscellaneous TDY trips that pop up.

The most honest thing you can tell your significant other is that time away from home will be unpredictable, sometimes last-minute, sometimes for a long time, sometimes "just" a month or four. Your job then is to convince her that it is worth it.

Hell, you could even end up like me at a TDA unit. No deployments, and the most I've been away is a week in the field and another week coming up to ferry an aircraft halfway across the country. It's just that unpredictable.

• Like 1

FSA? At least?

We got our Family Sep, but due to essential unit messing they charged us to cover the meal card (IIRC it was about $310). We made about $50 a month or so off of the minimal per diem so the soldiers with families were breaking a little above even, but single soldiers were losing money.

Edited by SBuzzkill

So there are still combat deployment opportunities for Guard?

Mike

Depends on the unit/state, I'd guess. I'm on my way out the door for another one, and so are most of the guys in my state that aren't already out there. It's only 4.5 months for me because we're getting to split it, but 9 months was/(is?) mine for the asking. ...I don't want it, though.

Good to know. I guess what happens the next 4 years or so is anybodies guess, but they pretty much took that off the table for us (SMCR) when we got back in 2012. So I'm hopeful that remains an option.

Mike

The thing you need to realize, which is what Bigfoot was trying to push across, is that you can't rely on a schedule. That's why you can't find much information on it. It's different than the Navy. There are 12 month deployments, 15 month deployments, 9 month deployments, hell even 4 month deployments. Or should I say, deployments and "rotations." I appreciate you're trying to keep your family informed, but at the same time you can't tell them "generally there's a 12 month deployment followed by X months dwell time" because that's just going to set up some unrealistic expectations.

Lindsey, I appreciate your candor. From what I have found on my own, and what Im being told on the forum is, total crap shoot. Thanks to all for the input.

Depends on the unit/state, I'd guess. I'm on my way out the door for another one, and so are most of the guys in my state that aren't already out there. It's only 4.5 months for me because we're getting to split it, but 9 months was/(is?) mine for the asking. ...I don't want it, though.

I'll probably be seeing you in a few months. We already have some of your state's guys here with us.

• 2 weeks later...

***See original post*** "Before you fry me, let me say this. Im not looking to collect a paycheck, I fully understand deployments are GOING to happen."

I've done deployments. I get deployments happen. I pity the person who doesn't do their homework, or at least ask questions before making a commitment such as the military. I knew a lot of people, as I'm sure all of us do in the service, who joined on a whim and they were incessantly bitching 2 months into a 9 month deployment. The military does not need more uninformed bitchers.

I am hoping to get a feel for how the Army works its deployment "schedule" so I can make an informed decision and prepare my family if I'm lucky enough to get selected.

What I am looking for here is solid information, not engaging in debates. Bigfoot, thanks for the solid information. Most comprehensive answer yet.

Definitely not trying to fry you, but trying to keep you honest. Your interest in being an aviator should be that, being an aviator and an officer. If I had a dollar for every person who told me "i was thinking about/i thought about going warrant, BUT", i would have like 20 bucks. Maybe 15.

The point is, nothing is certain in the Army, least of all deployment and TDY assignments. Focus on the one thing that will be certain. You will fly an amazing aircraft (they're all awesome), be paid well to do it, and have experiences many will only dream of. Maybe thats on a deployment, maybe its at NTC, maybe its in the simulator or even better, the AVCATT.

YOLO

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The point is, nothing is certain in the Army, least of all deployment and TDY assignments.

YOLO

Thanks Bigfoot. Trying to get a feel for the Army way of doing things. It will be a bit of culture shock for me coming from a different branch.

• 2 weeks later...

So, flying has been a dream of mine since I can remember. Through my brief navy career, I always thought it was unattainable. Call it immaturity, or lack of foresight.

With that, I am concerned about the Army's deployments, rather that lack of information I have been able to find specifically on the aviation side of the house.

Does anyone have any insight on rotations? I know ground troops are still pushing a 12 month deployment. What about aviation units? For example, a typical Navy cycle is 6-8 months deployed 18 months downtime/working up to the next deployment.

Before you fry me, let me say this. Im not looking to collect a paycheck, I fully understand deployments are GOING to happen. This is not only my decision, I need my wife to be prepared for what is to come and be on board. Not trying to be a statistic. I also understand OPSEC so just looking for general time frames, nothing too specific.

Thanks in advance for the info

Purple.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking this question and TBH I don't like the way bigfoot responded to it. I was infantry before I came to Rucker, been there done that, and in my opinion, if you're not asking questions to at least TRY to give your family some expectation-management or even to get an idea for what you are getting yourself into, then you're not trying hard enough.

Now at the same time, bigfoot is right on point when he says deployments are what we do. THAT is our job, and to get on a combat deployment makes you almost unique these days and certainly fortunate. So yes, go out and look for some info, get as much as you can to make the best decision for you, but you better get your mind right in the mean time bc we live for deployments. If you don't, well maybe you should look for employment elsewhere.

• Like 1

Walkerman,

Thanks for the feedback. I have started the packet and hope to board in July. At this point, I think it's more about when/how long to expect to be gone, than if(granted I get accepted). I was used to a scheduled rotation and was really just wondering if that translated to the Army...Apparently not. At least I know that now.