Anthropomorphic Physical

Greetings everyone! I'm an active duty soldier who is currently building a flight packet; however, I ran into an issue. Unfortunately, my tip-to-tip arm length is about 2 cm too short (>164 cm) and I was instructed to get with an aviation unit to conduct cockpit measurements in all "Go to War Aircraft." So, I got a MFR written up by a CW4 who recommended me for a waiver (based on my measurements in a UH-60M) and, again, contacted the flight surgeon on how to proceed with the process. To my dismay, he informed me that it was now mandatory that anyone not meeting the anthropomorphic criteria had to TDY down to Ft. Rucker and receive measurements in all air frames. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take? How was the process?

TLDR: My arms are too short and I have to go to Ft. Rucker to sit in every rotary platform, then verify that I can touch/actuate all the controls. I've already verified that I am capable of actuating all controls, necessary for safe flight, in a UH-60M. Has anyone been through this?

Shorter Version: I have T-rex arms and have to TDY to Ft. Rucker to sit in helicopters.

The control that is most difficult to reach, out of all the airframes, is the Backup Hydraulic Switch from the right seat in a 60 A/L (they moved it to an easier location in the M). I had to go through the same process four years ago, though I was able to do it at JBLM since they had all four airframes. Even now, as a UH-60A/L pilot I strain with the effort of stretching to reach it from the right seat.

• Like 1

The control that is most difficult to reach, out of all the airframes, is the Backup Hydraulic Switch from the right seat in a 60 A/L (they moved it to an easier location in the M). I had to go through the same process four years ago, though I was able to do it at JBLM since they had all four airframes. Even now, as a UH-60A/L pilot I strain with the effort of stretching to reach it from the right seat.

Need bigger phonebook seat say Confucius...
  • Like 2

This is a thing? I'll ask my dad (He's a flight surgeon) and ask him what this process is like. Sorry you are having to take a long crooked road to getting that flight physical stamped. Wish you the best of luck! I'll let you know if my dad says anything about this process.

Thanks, I'd appreciate his advice! The flight surgeon I'm in contact with right now hasn't emailed me back a POC. His response time seems to be about two weeks. No one cares about your career more than you!

Yeah, the old standard was that if you were <159 cm on your "wingspan" you had to TDY to Ft. Rucker; however, if you were >159 you could just have any unit write you a MFR. I will most likely have to pay out-of-pocket and take leave to TDY to Rucker because INSCOM units are usually pretty stingy with their pocketbooks.

Greetings everyone! I'm an active duty soldier who is currently building a flight packet; however, I ran into an issue. Unfortunately, my tip-to-tip arm length is about 2 cm too short (>164 cm) and I was instructed to get with an aviation unit to conduct cockpit measurements in all "Go to War Aircraft." So, I got a MFR written up by a CW4 who recommended me for a waiver (based on my measurements in a UH-60M) and, again, contacted the flight surgeon on how to proceed with the process. To my dismay, he informed me that it was now mandatory that anyone not meeting the anthropomorphic criteria had to TDY down to Ft. Rucker and receive measurements in all air frames. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take? How was the process?

TLDR: My arms are too short and I have to go to Ft. Rucker to sit in every rotary platform, then verify that I can touch/actuate all the controls. I've already verified that I am capable of actuating all controls, necessary for safe flight, in a UH-60M. Has anyone been through this?

Shorter Version: I have T-rex arms and have to TDY to Ft. Rucker to sit in helicopters.

I remember a few people getting this waiver at rucker. Some were cute girls. I know they all got waivers. You'll be fine.