Marine Commissioned Officer Applying for WOFT

Greetings all,

I am an O-2 USMC who's coming up on EAS in 2018. I am looking into enlisting in the Army for their WOFT program right after separation, however I cannot have any MSO left on my contract. With that said, I won't be complete with my eight-year MSO until 2020. Is there a waiver to reduce the MSO? Or I have no choice but to complete two years of IRR to fill in the gap prior to applying for WOFT?

Please read question 26 on the following link which explains the application process for commissioned officers from other branches: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/WOgeninfo_faq.shtml

Please do not judge me by my desire. I will continue to serve as a Marine Officer until the day comes. Any input will be appreciated.

• Like 1

You should not have to complete the IRR. Since you will be applying as a civilian after your EAS, simply get a dd368 (conditional release) from the IRR, and apply. (this is how I believe it needs to be done) Best bet is to contact a regular Army recruiter who has experience with WOFT packets. I believe there is an individual on this site currently on recruiting duty who is also prepping a WOFT packet for himself, he might be a good contact. And as a former Marine myself, I think you will enjoy the program if you get in.

• Like 1

Please do not judge me by my desire. I will continue to serve as a Marine Officer until the day comes. Any input will be appreciated.

Nothing to judge. Army aviation is full of former Marines, myself included.

The conditional release should not be difficult to get. I can think of several people who have done what you are planning on doing.

• Like 1

Were they commissioned officers ?

Mine weren't (NCOs and junior enlisted switching components OR Services to join)...but you are IRR and they are generally looked at favorably as you are attempting to still serve...

I never had one denied (and the Army DD 368s I completed required the first 1 star in the Soldier's former CoC to sign as the approval). Somewhere in your Marine regs is listed how they process a DD 368 (may very well be a lower approval authority than what the Army required for one of its own). Ones I did were Soldiers and Airman going into ROTC to get their commission. All you can do is query / try-but I suspect the result will be favorable.

Edit: fyi, the gaining organization (Army Recruiter in this case) initiates the DD 368 and he/she will send it off to your owning command (they'll need help from you as to where to send it...they won't know). Take ownership of it if you decide to pursue (so it doesn't languish).

• Like 2

Were they commissioned officers ?

I am aware of at least one that was commissioned USMC - a Captain. He was a student in my section when I was an active duty IP section leader. It's been about 2 years since he came through. As I recall, he couldn't have had much of a break in service, if any. I do believe he was a CW2 going through flight school, though I can't be certain.

And sorry, I don't recall the name. He was not my student and as a section leader I oversaw a lot of students. I know that's not much help other than affirmation that it is possible.

• 7 months later...

It's been a while but after conducting some research, I was told by USAREC Team that I will have to complete my MSO whether I'm still active or IRR. I just can't wait... that means I have to wait until 2020, which by then I will be 31 years old.

If you know of anyone who has crossed over from commissioned officer to warrant officer (153A), please let me know. Thank you.

Have you talked to anyone on the USMC side about a conditional release? Is that not something they do? It would seem to me that logically if you have the conditional release you'd be fine -- though I long ago learned not to try to apply logic to the Marine Corps (and I presume the Army for that matter).

ETA: So doing some quick googling it seems officers can get a conditional release. If you have the DD368. Here is an older policy memo but you may as well reach out this route and see if you are directed elsewhere: http://www.marforres.marines.mil/Portals/116/Docs/G-1/Adjutant/Directives/Policy_Letters/FPL%2004-07%20-%20PROCESSING%20OF%20INTERSERVICE%20TRANSFER%20REQUESTS.pdf?ver=2016-06-16-165738-447

As I'm working on going guard aviation all it asks for is a DD368 if coming from a sister service. I haven't read through all the army pubs regarding active duty, but if its not written anywhere that you must finish your MSO, taking someone at there word doesn't really mean crap. I don't see why they wouldn't accept a conditional release from an officer though if they do for enlisted.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your prompt reposnse. Please read question 26 on the following link which explains the application process for commissioned officers from other branches: http://www.usarec.ar...ninfo_faq.shtml

I agree, conditional release is conditional release. Whether or not the MSO exists shouldn't be a factor as long as you serve your active duty time.