Moving to Rucker

The Army will handle it. You can have them do everything (pack, deliver, and unpack) but it'll be an Army provided service with no cost. You can do a PPM and move the items yourself but you have to work for it. This means you'll have to rent the truck, weigh it empty, pack everything, keep all receipts, weigh it upon arrival and then fill out the paperwork to reconcile everything. You can make some money off of this type of move, but if you're lazy (like moi) its a pain.

Either way you'll fill out a travel voucher for travel costs. You'll also be entitled to a DLA (dislocation allowance) which will help cover the costs of the move.

TLDNR: Yeah, you'll get reimbursed.

Army will reimburse. Make sure movement of household goods is authorized on your orders.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Keeping up with this myself. Ive read several different things about this. I just got the call recently and received my ship date. Thats it as of now. Im prior service going straight to WOCS and have no answer on if I can drive to WOCS.

From talking to others in hold its a crapshoot based on your MEPS SOP, some PS and interservice guys drove and we have two that werent authorized to. However the vast majority did drive so I would plan on being able to.

From talking to others in hold its a crapshoot based on your MEPS SOP, some PS and interservice guys drove and we have two that werent authorized to. However the vast majority did drive so I would plan on being able to.

Im not sure if they even know here honestly lol. They mentioned with it being AIT that Im not allowed to drive.

Drive to Rucker. Just tell your recruiter that youre driving. When you get to MEPS, tell them you are driving.

Youre going to want a vehicle before WOCS and definitely immediately after.

• Like 1

Drive to Rucker. Just tell your recruiter that youre driving. When you get to MEPS, tell them you are driving.

Youre going to want a vehicle before WOCS and definitely immediately after.

They are saying I can drive, but I don't know if that means I can move my wife down there. They seem to be confused about the process as well. I've heard its a for sure PCS and now I just need to find something to show the MEPS people.

If you can get authorization to move your dependents from MEPS you can save yourself the ass pain of getting amended orders after WOCS.

I knew several people in my WOCS class who had their family moved in prior to the course starting.

Pro tip: if your family lives on or near post, you can see them at church every Sunday.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get authorization to move your dependents from MEPS you can save yourself the ass pain of getting amended orders after WOCS.

I knew several people in my WOCS class who had their family moved in prior to the course starting.

Pro tip: if your family lives on or near post, you can see them at church every Sunday.

Haha that is pretty slick.

• Like 1