Hand controls

Britt

Hi everyone my name is Britt. My uncle Jerry designed mechanical hand controls for his Bell 47j and 47g years ago. He was paralyzed as a young man and is looking for other people who own bells and would like to purchase his patented hand controls. This isn't a sales pitch but im sure he wouldnt mind making a buck! Jerry currently resides in southern Arizona with his wife Jane. My question is if he were to market his hand controls where would he start? Is there a market for it? Is there anyone else out there flying choppers with no use of their legs? Thanks

My question is if he were to market his hand controls where would he start? Is there a market for it? Is there anyone else out there flying choppers with no use of their legs? Thanks

Many may remember Mike Smith, he was in a wheel chair, but piloted a Bell 206 with special controls flying air attack and aerial mapping missions for the US Forest Service, (Region 4). AOPA did a story on him.

I don’t know if he’s still around, haven’t seen him recently.

Link: PILOTS MIKE SMITH AOPA February 5, 1999

Link: New Hand Controls Allow the Disabled to Fly

PILOTS

MIKE SMITH

February 5, 1999

Sixteen years ago, during a routine crop-dusting job in a Bell Model 47 helicopter, wires from nearby power lines tangled in the rotor mast. Stopped dead, Smith's chopper smashed to the ground. When he was pulled from the wreckage, his back was broken. He thought that his flying career was over. And it was — until someone thought to apply to airplanes the hand-control concept designed for cars. With some adjustments, he was back in business. Smith holds ratings through airline transport pilot, including rotorcraft-helicopter. At present, he is the only wheelchair-using pilot in the nation to fly air attack for the U.S. Forest Service. He travels to other parts of the country, presenting programs on mountain flying, and he also shows other flight instructors how to teach disabled students.

Edited by iChris

I would start here

http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/

A number of years ago a good friend of mine was injured in a farming accident. They were instrumental in getting him back in the air (fixed wing). One of the guys there flys a twin with hand controls and I am sure they would be very happy to know more about your uncles' controls.

Glenn

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...