Done anything slightly illegal? Ever?

I Just read a post on another forum from a junior pilot talking about getting a B206 rating.

Reminded me of 1978, when my first ever PIC flight of a B206 was also my first ever flight in one.

The actual pilot, knowing I already had several thousands of hours in Hueys, offered me a ride in his B206 - but there weren't any duals fitted. No matter, says he, I will talk you through it. Jump in the right hand seat.

The engine start was a REAL surprise, never having seen or heard an Allison start up. "Just crank it until 15% and then open to idle" he says, but when it went off with its usual WHOOMPH I was quite startled - Lycomings had a very gentle start with no drama.

Once it got going, the rest was just another helicopter. A bit different without hyd boost to the pedals, and the feet a lot closer together, but just another helicopter.

But if something had occurred and an investigation was called for, I wonder who would have been in front of the anti-aircraft cannon first - the pilot for allowing me to drive it, or me for not getting instruction first? My subsequent 8000 hrs in B206 were a doddle after that.

Done a few other questionable things in 45 years, but they can wait for another day.

• Like 1

I don't think what you did was remotely illegal, no type rating required.

I was wondering if anybody was going to 'fess up to some event that law enforcement could theoretically interpret as prohibited. Like, I knew I knew some people who didn't bother with revenue agents, etc. when they made adult beverages. My favorite was a guy who left that business because he had to steal sugar to make money in his market- He didn't want to be a criminal, he just wanted to make 'likker'.

Wally, in my country at that time we needed a licence endorsement for anything we flew, and for the first piston or turbine endorsement it was 5 hrs dual training, and subsequent types were a further 3 hrs dual. First twin was 10 hrs dual.

another story - not really illegal but not "the done thing":

In the nearby air force bombing range, which was an area with lots of creeks and inlets, there were lots of signs saying "Prohibited area - do not enter" to keep fishermen away from the bullets and practice bombs. But it had little effect, people would putter along in their tinnies and set up crab pots, leave them a few days and then reap the rewards.

On Fridays, our base would stand down from flying at 1200 and go home (or the bar) at 1500. At 1201, we grabbed the SAR chopper and headed for the range. Lower a crewman on the hoist, he used a boathook to lift a pot out of the water - if no crab, drop it back in and continue. If it had a crab, tea-bag him and the pot to the bank, he retrieved the crab, we put the pot back and keep searching. One day while in mid-teabag, a dude in a tinnie appeared and was quite irate that we were raiding his pots, waving his fist and other futile gestures. We pointed to the "Prohibited" sign on the bank and took the crabs back to the hut for a feast.

Sadly, one of the little dudes escaped from the bag in our hut, crawled under a cabinet, and expired. We found him by sense of smell when we opened up on Monday morning - ewww.

• Like 1

Guest pokey

No, that's arrogance and stupidity.

hmmm, i won't set myself up, but? where have we seen this B4?.... ok,,,,, i'm no better than this guy-------imma liar too (i did set myself up)