2017 WOFT Board

I broke down and decided to get on here in hopes of receiving feedback towards my 2017 packet.

I applied in 2015 & 2016 and was FQ-NS. Now I am looking at applying this year for a 3rd time.

Currently...

GT: 122

SIFT: 46

APFT: 291

Military: 7 years AD Army EOD

Civilian Education: AS in Aeronautics Degree with a 3.88 GPA. 73 semester hours towards a BS in Aeronautics with a 3.88 GPA

Flight: No Hours

Physical: Stamped/No Waivers

LORS: CO, BC, CW3, and CW4

Volunteer Hours: 300 Hours

I am working towards getting a 300 on my APFT, possible flight time, and hoping to locate a CW5 for a LOR. I need all of the help that I can get, as I truly want to be selected this year.

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

Hey Luke! We have very similar stats aside from prior military experience (I'm a civilian) and I've completed my bachelors. You have me curious now, I was told you can only be FQ-NS one time and then if you dont get selected again there is no third chance? What boards are you going for? I wish you the best of luck.

Mezz

• Like 1

Mezz,

I think I know what you are talking about. For example: I applied for the September Board and was FQ-NS. So my packet automatically got put into the November Board (for a 2nd chance). In November I was NS-NC. That was my last chance for a year from the date on my DA 61. Once I wait a year, I can apply again. As for as I know, you can apply every year until you are too old or something like that. Which there are waivers for that kind of stuff as well.

• Like 1

Mezz,

I think I know what you are talking about. For example: I applied for the September Board and was FQ-NS. So my packet automatically got put into the November Board (for a 2nd chance). In November I was NS-NC. That was my last chance for a year from the date on my DA 61. Once I wait a year, I can apply again. As for as I know, you can apply every year until you are too old or something like that. Which there are waivers for that kind of stuff as well.

oh wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the info Luke. Again best of luck. You'll get in eventually, don't give up!!!

Mezz,

Luke you can always apply for an ETP for the year wait. If something significantly changes in your packet (ie. Get a CW5 letter, more college, or higher APFT) you should be able to apply before the year wait period.

• 1 month later...

I know most of you already have stellar LORs' but this is Just to help the WOFT guys/gals out who may not be the son of Sam or have any real connections with the military in regards to obtaining a Letter of Recommendation from somebody relatively important:

Go online, search around for the closest ARMY military installation, run through the installation's websites for "tenant units" and try to find the words "Calvary", "CAB" or something remotely related to aviation (Most units will have an aviation battalion attached to a parent brigade, and as the parent brigade is the only "tenant unit" displayed, it helps to dive deeper into the individual brigade to figure out if there is an aviation unit).

Once you've found an Aviation unit, search on google or a DOD website and try to find a website dedicated to that unit. Almost every individual Aviation battalion and/or Brigade will have a website and phone number to the headquarters/command list therein.

Now here is the obvious part: Call that number! Be prepared for a Lt. Colonel or even the Full Bird to pick up on the other end as was my experience (Cannot explain how intimidating that situation gets). Try to quickly but thoroughly explain your situation (WOFT applicant, no military ties, possibly shine someone's shoes for LOR, please help, yes Sir, no Sir!).

Keep in mind, you are essentially cold-calling a career Field grade Officer, asking for someone in his command to maybe consider the possibility of staking their reputation and writing an LOR. In that same mindset also realize, you have the drive/balls enough to cold-call a Colonel and I guarantee it will actually be looked upon respectably by someone that made a career of tenacity and who's character attributes prominently display both Drive and Balls.

Gotta say, the Senior Flight Warrant whom I got in touch with was one of the coolest guys I've ever talked to. He was extremely understanding of my situation and was willing not only meet up and write me a LOR, but extended the olive branch and gave me more contacts in his unit to call as well. Remember, these guys are evaluating you to become part of their own niche within the Army; So do well to impress and don't take it for granted, but also remember that they want you to succeed and become a part of it as long as you aren't a totally sh*t bird.

Don't make the mistake of calling anyone until you've at least completed your ASVAB and SIFT test. Most guys would rather review your entire complete packet (before Battalion board) before any type of LOR. I got lucky on my first try, so I can only speak from MY experience. Do not expect anything from the call, and for the love of God, if you have no chance of being selected at all, DO NOT even attempt to waste their time. Unfortunately I have to add this disclaimer considering some of the WOFT applicants I've talked to seriously think that, for example, a prior DUI is O.K. because you can waiver it. Unless you are a Medal Of Honor winner, a DUI does not fly, FYI, big guy. B)

Last thing, If you do not have a single LOR from either a regular Line Officer or Warrant Officer CURRENTLY IN Army Aviation, I highly insist you either network with your current LOR'ers to get in contact with one, or do as I've explained above, in that order. Not detracting at all from anyone's LOR'ers achievements or positions if they are RET. or are AD and NOT in Army Aviation, but an LOR from an AD/AR Army Pilot is one of the biggest singular boost to your packet that it cannot be overstated enough.

Hope this helps.

I know most of you already have stellar LORs' but this is Just to help the WOFT guys/gals out who may not be the son of Sam or have any real connections with the military in regards to obtaining a Letter of Recommendation from somebody relatively important:

Go online, search around for the closest ARMY military installation, run through the installation's websites for "tenant units" and try to find the words "Calvary", "CAB" or something remotely related to aviation (Most units will have an aviation battalion attached to a parent brigade, and as the parent brigade is the only "tenant unit" displayed, it helps to dive deeper into the individual brigade to figure out if there is an aviation unit).

Once you've found an Aviation unit, search on google or a DOD website and try to find a website dedicated to that unit. Almost every individual Aviation battalion and/or Brigade will have a website and phone number to the headquarters/command list therein.

Now here is the obvious part: Call that number! Be prepared for a Lt. Colonel or even the Full Bird to pick up on the other end as was my experience (Cannot explain how intimidating that situation gets). Try to quickly but thoroughly explain your situation (WOFT applicant, no military ties, possibly shine someone's shoes for LOR, please help, yes Sir, no Sir!).

Keep in mind, you are essentially cold-calling a career Field grade Officer, asking for someone in his command to maybe consider the possibility of staking their reputation and writing an LOR. In that same mindset also realize, you have the drive/balls enough to cold-call a Colonel and I guarantee it will actually be looked upon respectably by someone that made a career of tenacity and who's character attributes prominently display both Drive and Balls.

Gotta say, the Senior Flight Warrant whom I got in touch with was one of the coolest guys I've ever talked to. He was extremely understanding of my situation and was willing not only meet up and write me a LOR, but extended the olive branch and gave me more contacts in his unit to call as well. Remember, these guys are evaluating you to become part of their own niche within the Army; So do well to impress and don't take it for granted, but also remember that they want you to succeed and become a part of it as long as you aren't a totally sh*t bird.

Don't make the mistake of calling anyone until you've at least completed your ASVAB and SIFT test. Most guys would rather review your entire complete packet (before Battalion board) before any type of LOR. I got lucky on my first try, so I can only speak from MY experience. Do not expect anything from the call, and for the love of God, if you have no chance of being selected at all, DO NOT even attempt to waste their time. Unfortunately I have to add this disclaimer considering some of the WOFT applicants I've talked to seriously think that, for example, a prior DUI is O.K. because you can waiver it. Unless you are a Medal Of Honor winner, a DUI does not fly, FYI, big guy. B)

Last thing, If you do not have a single LOR from either a regular Line Officer or Warrant Officer CURRENTLY IN Army Aviation, I highly insist you either network with your current LOR'ers to get in contact with one, or do as I've explained above, in that order. Not detracting at all from anyone's LOR'ers achievements or positions if they are RET. or are AD and NOT in Army Aviation, but an LOR from an AD/AR Army Pilot is one of the biggest singular boost to your packet that it cannot be overstated enough.

Hope this helps.

Good write up. It may also be worth your time to do some searching on LinkedIn. If you narrow the search down to the closest military installation you can surprisingly find a handful of pilots with active accounts and impressive resumes. You'd have to make an account, if you don't already have one, and send a brief message. From that point, it'd be the same process described above.

• Like 1

Good write up. It may also be worth your time to do some searching on LinkedIn. If you narrow the search down to the closest military installation you can surprisingly find a handful of pilots with active accounts and impressive resumes. You'd have to make an account, if you don't already have one, and send a brief message. From that point, it'd be the same process described above.

Yeah this write up was intended to be purely one of the last resorts in finding LORs. The LinkedIn route sounds great if you can find a SENIOR flight Warrant or Field grade Army Pilot. I would also refrain from that route unless you have a robust network of people, and a solid account/profile on linkedin. Bottom line is: you can't go wrong with straight up calling someone, short of driving up to the airfield hanger, but if you could get on a military base in the first place, you wouldn't need to jingle your LOR tin can.

For civilians applying for WOFT, I have seen several candidates get selected without having a single LOR from any military or pilot. It's not a requirement for the civilian selection board, though it is thought to be very helpful in getting selected.

Obviously it isn't a requirement. it was never implied to be. I just believe giving people the best possible chance of getting selected is better than pointing out the obvious minimums.

Obviously it isn't a requirement. it was never implied to be. I just believe giving people the best possible chance of getting selected is better than pointing out the obvious minimums.

Haha, easy there byte.

Nobody is suggesting or condoning going after minimums. You may be surprised how many recruiters tell potential candidates that these military or aviation LORs are actually required. I've spoken with way more candidates than I ever should have, and have seen some of that many of them stressed more than necessary on this subject. It's all about having ALL the information possible.

Haha, easy there byte.

Nobody is suggesting or condoning going after minimums. You may be surprised how many recruiters tell potential candidates that these military or aviation LORs are actually required. I've spoken with way more candidates than I ever should have, and have seen some of that many of them stressed more than necessary on this subject. It's all about having ALL the information possible.

Yeah I apologize for being a little over zealous. I actually agree and endorse everything you just stated. Mainly the reason I'm even suggesting any of this stuff is partly because of the amount of disinformation disseminated by recruiters on WOFT. Not a swipe at recruiters at all because I know they don't teach this program at the school house, but I do believe, at least in my experience, some recruiters are less than helpful with WOFT and to an extent, OCS for that matter.

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate anyone who helps WOFT applicants out of sheer goodwill.

Anyone going to the board next week? I'm still working on my PT score (230) so I pushed it back until July. I think that's the next one.

Anyone going to the board next week? I'm still working on my PT score (230) so I pushed it back until July. I think that's the next one.

I thought this one was the last one of the fiscal year? Next one being Novemberish

• 2 weeks later...

On the most recent board, the civilians all found out the week of the board and the active duty applicants found out on Wednesday after the board convened.