Hey guys, what's new?

Guest pokey
I finished the annual on the 747, just about everything was OK. The muffler bearings in engine number five were a bit shakey, so i installed earmuffs for the passengers on that side. The 625,243 gallon waterbuck had one small hole,( that was from my last flight last year when i mistakenly flew into hostile enemy territory and took a few rounds from nuclear ground fire), i bucked on a patch and the leakage is very minimal now. The radios had a bit of a squeel too, but i insulated the door to the kictchen and now mom stomps three times when my lunch is ready. 3 cylinders had a low compression reading, one can of fix-A-flat from dad's trunk of his dodge brung them up to snuff. The left aileron was missing, and grandma's bathroom door fit the bill and working fine now. Four tires won't hold air, but upon doing the math, the 747 has 16 wheels, so one quarter of them are good to go. I did a complete weight and balance check too, it was only out by a few inches and my superior flying skills can handle that. The greenhouse windows were a bit crazed, so i took mom's and now her tomato plants will get plenty of rain. I'm looking for a co-pilot this season too, if any of you think you are 1/2 as good as i am, i welcome your resume, please mark it as 'confidential' as mom is a real snoop when it comes to brown envelopes addressed to my attention. Evryone fly safe out there.

• Like 4

fire season is starting. Again.

Oh boy! What are you flying this season?

I got selected to become a controller, I'm gonna go talk to airplanes and stuff now, I guess.

Congrats! Sounds like an interesting job and I can definitely see the appeal of being in the tower instead of in the airspace some days.

Edited by Azhigher

Still keeping the R66 from over-temping here in Florida. Thought about heading to RLC, but itd be a huge paycut for me. The experience and schedule would be nice, but I don't feel like making $23,000 less than what I'm making now.

I wouldn't mind going to Maverick though. That would be an all around bump up in everything.

Edited by RagMan

I wouldn't mind going to Maverick though. That would be an all around bump up in everything.

I did some time at Maverick, (Vegas) it was a pretty great place. Management really made sure people were squared away on how to do their job, training was the best I'd received up to that point. (Full downs for every flight profile you'd be flying on the job) Pay was excellent for what their minimums are. Only downside is it's tours, which means there is a high probability you'll get sick of it in a few years and have to move on. (And take a pay cut, and get worse training, and not get all expenses paid pilot dinners at steakhouses around Vegas.)

If you're aiming for Mav make sure you're a clean cut, polite but outgoing guy who's not too old. =P

Also: the GoM is a bleak place to be right now, I'd steer clear of it for a while.

Edited by Azhigher

Well, I'm post-professional aviator, retired August 1. My personal objective was to have a 50 year career, but I quit at a mere 48. Kinda like my feelings when I left the Army- jail or fail. I miss the flying but not the BS paperwork, etc. Especially the ETC.

Well, I'm post-professional aviator, retired August 1. My personal objective was to have a 50 year career, but I quit at a mere 48. Kinda like my feelings when I left the Army- jail or fail. I miss the flying but not the BS paperwork, etc. Especially the ETC.

You ever get the itch to rent? Or would the reality of flying a 22/44/300 not do your memories justice?

You ever get the itch to rent? Or would the reality of flying a 22/44/300 not do your memories justice?

No. Part of the joy of flying is flying, but most of it was meeting the technical challenge of the service request. I'm not going to put a rent-a-racer into a performance and fuel limited situation with minimal safe clearances, with marginal weather, just not my idea of fun...although I LOVE being able to do it, it scares the bejabbers out of me every time.

When I came back from Vietnam, some of my buds were Jonesing for the adrenaline high we'd just left, but I never did. Just grateful to wake up, alive, another day.

P.S. If I hit the PowerBall/MegaMillions I would most definitely buy a 500, probably a D. And a sailplane. Those are fun!

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

Been working as an A&P on helicopters in Kabul, Afg and Baghdad, Iraq on a 90/30 rotation since I left school after doing 2 1/2 semesters at Guidance Aviation/Yavapai College. Found out my wife had a kid on the way and ditched school the end of 2013 to pay off debt and save a bunch of money. 4 years and 3 kids later I'm still working here because the money is too good and the job pretty satisfying. Plan to go back to school as soon as I find out if I can get a spot in the UHI/DC3 program in Prescott. Can't go back to Guidance because they haven't been able to accept new students into the program for a few semesters now, due to the inability to meet the VA's 85/15 rule. Eventually I WILL finish flight school and find a job flying.

Edited by superstallion6113
  • Like 1

I just got retired from the Coast Guard.

You got retired? Was that not by choice? What's up next?

Been working as an A&P on helicopters in Kabul, Afg and Baghdad, Iraq on a 90/30 rotation since I left school after doing 2 1/2 semesters at Guidance Aviation/Yavapai College. Found out my wife had a kid on the way and ditched school the end of 2013 to pay off debt and save a bunch of money. 4 years and 3 kids later I'm still working here because the money is too good and the job pretty satisfying. Plan to go back to school as soon as I find out if I can get a spot in the UHI/DC3 program in Prescott. Can't go back to Guidance because they haven't been able to accept new students into the program for a few semesters now, due to the inability to meet the VA's 85/15 rule. Eventually I WILL finish flight school and find a job flying.

Good man, gotta do whacha gotta do for your family. Flying will always be there for you should you want to pursue it. Gotta say though, the A&P field feels like it has more job security nowadays. If the bug has already bitten I know these words will fall on deaf ears, but there it is anyway.
  • Like 1