The private land-owner's perspective

Question for all of you experienced with these matters:

I have a 2 acre vacant parcel located in central Florida that has started to be used by the County EMS services when they summons a helicopter after accidents. Approximately 6 times in the past 12 months suddenly you'll hear a big truck coming onto the property and there will be a couple fire trucks and then ground ambulance and atleast one other support vehicle that show up and essentially take-over the lot for 40 minutes until the chopper arrives and then leaves. Not too much of a hassle other than of course they drive over garden hoses and plastic hose splices and maybe a sprinkler.

Is it possible in any fashion to bill for the use of the site? Say $75.00/landing to help with costs in maintaining the lot? Keeping the place irrigated so there is some vegetation to prevent a dust storm each time they land is just one of my costs, not to mention the considerable taxes paid each year.

Thanks for any input.

Guest pokey

Not really. If you don't want them landing on it then fence it in.

can't a helicopter fly over a fence?

Don't know Florida aviation laws, but the states that i do know either require landowner's permission to land or, it is completely illegal to land ANY aircraft other than at approved air/heliport. Yes, balloons somehow get around that law, but? i suppose if you wanted to be a real dickhead about balloons too? some lawyer would take yer case. However, this is not a balloon they are landing in your lot, and if they also bring in cars/trucks.. etc? Put up no trespassing signs & if they land/show up again? sue 'em for trespassing.

I am just a pilot, but I remember a scene commander telling me he had a pair of bolt cutters if I needed to be in the pasture next to the scene (locked gate). I'm guessing the implication is that whatever he needed to do to get that patient to the most appropriate care, he would do under an emergency response protocol. That patient scragged it before extrication completed, but I've never been told that the ground units wouldn't meet me at a suggested site. The scene guys might offer an alternate that is acceptable to them in the process.

The EMS services in my area are very responsive to local input, wouldn't create enemies if they can help it. Talk to the EMS director with your issue, I will bet it will be resolved.

And I've had dozens of patients handed over the fence,

thanks for all your input

would i find the governing law in the FAA's laws or would their laws be incorporated into the Florida Administrative Code?? talking about the law that says they can't be charged for the landing.

Haven't found anything yet searching Florida Administrative Code or Florida Statutes. Haven't checked the County Ordinances yet

Guest pokey

thanks for all your input

would i find the governing law in the FAA's laws or would their laws be incorporated into the Florida Administrative Code?? talking about the law that says they can't be charged for the landing.

Haven't found anything yet searching Florida Administrative Code or Florida Statutes. Haven't checked the County Ordinances yet

if Florida has one (which i don't think they forbid off airport landing of aircraft), it will be found in the state laws. NJ has one (not easy to find either) and? i think Illinois is another state with similar law. Best to put up a big sign. (check with Florida trespassing laws) ((in case they land anyhow & it gets tangled up in their tail rotor))

What you do is just go and talk to the fellow in charge, generally over a cup of coffee and sort it out to your satisfaction. Try being polite first, getting rude and in your face from the start will just make the matter more of a mess than it needs to be! Tell them since they are the county that an adjustment on the property tax would be fine- most people are reasonable if approached in the right way!

• 8 months later...

Back to basics on this one. No pilot may land on private property without prior permission.

I am unaware of any part of 135 to include the 135 Subpart L (the 600's) that allows a pilot to deviate from this.

I am aware that local and state laws may allow local emergency services to use private property in an emergency situation, but I don't think the FAA makes any concessions for the pilot.

You obviously live on a dangerous road. Be thankful that the emergency services are able to take the poor victims away safely. You might be one of them someday on this road.

Don't be a curmudgeon. Welcome them. Offer a cool drink if they are sitting around for a while until the chopper gets there. I have landed in odd places at various times, never had a complaint, except from the low-life I was arresting.

• Like 1