Civilian Crew Chief Jobs

Hello Everyone,

I am currently in the Army, I hit 10 years in July. I was a MH-47G (just a modified CH-47) Flight Engineer for my first 6 years, after which I attended flight school. I flew approximately 1,300 hours as a Flight Engineer. Sadly a year out of flight school I was permanently grounded from flying. I'm attempting to change jobs within the Army, however I am trying to prepare for the worse in the event they medical retire me.

I loved flying as a Flight Engineer and actually miss it. Seeing as I cannot fly as a pilot, I am looking at possibly being a Flight Engineer on the civilian side, if I'm forced to medically retire. I know a couple guys I previously worked with did this. I found Columbia Helicopters, but as of right now they do not have openings. I will keep an eye on them in the future. I enjoy the maintenance work, but mostly the actually flying in the cabin. Does anyone know any other companies that offer this job description? I appreciate any help that I may be able to get!

• 4 weeks later...

I was just on Erickson Incorporated website and they have an opening for a helicopter load master. Might be another company to keep an eye on. I'm not sure how much flying you would actually do though. There are many companies out there that require field mechanics, but again, not a lot of flying. Billings Flying Service has 234s (H-47) and Sky Aviation has some H-46s.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the sweaties I worked with at the big E just got hoist qual'ed. AAR(P) has those sorts of contracts, too. Just look for the ones that need a secret clearance. Most of that work is in Africa, tho. Take your meds, even though they're horrible for you. African malaria will kill you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that in the short five years as a 47 mech that FE time is pretty much useless in the civilian sector. I had the opportunity to go flight but turned it down. I built some pretty good maintenance time on the 47 that only a few guys get the opportunity to get. I ran a pretty good unscheduled team that was always called upon for major tasks, I think my guys very rarely had to do the grunt work of CCI's. When we started getting crap back from our ASB they selected my team to run all the phases and set the standard for the Brigade. I felt if I went flight all it would of been was a cool story to tell!!