Obtaining PRK before Flight Physical

Hello all,

I have recently been awarded a 4 year Army ROTC scholarship to Ohio University and intend on branching aviation upon completion of the program. I understand the competitiveness of branching aviation and the OML ranking, but my question is about eyesight.

Since I was young, I've had poor eyesight. Right now, it is about 20/350 equally in both eyes. I am a very healthy individual with no health problems or concerns. What is the best route for obtaining PRK? Should I wait until after I commission, or should I obtain it while in college, and if so what year is best (MS1,MS2 etc.)? Am I able to schedule an appointment on my own, or would I have to get it cleared by Cadet Command/US Army?

I look forward to your responses and advice.

-Lucas Bourgeois

Lucas,

You need to search/browse the Military forum. This subject has been discussed multiple times on that forum.

I think the general advise would be to get the PRK done as soon as possible, while in college and get it while a civilian. I can only assume from your post, "recently awarded a 4 year Army ROTC scholarship," that you have not really even started the ROTC process. It has been a long time since I was in your position (over 30 years) but you will not even get a "commissioning physical" until the end of your Sophmore year and a flight physical, if you are trying to branch Aviation, until the summer during your Junior year while at Adavnced Camp or Leadership Camp or whatever they call it these days. Therefore, get it done now as a civilain. Keep Cadet Command out of the process.

Just my .02. Read the Military forum here and use a Dr who is familiar with the military process. Keep copies of all the paperwork.

Good Luck,