What kind of suit to buy for the Board Interview?

Hey Forum,

I am a civilian applicant so I won't be wearing a uniform. I plan on looking for a suit tomorrow for the board interview and was hoping to get some specifics as to what I should get? Traditional black suit? 2 piece or 3 piece? Should it be slim-fit or loose? Any other color besides black off limits? I've never owned a suit as all of my employment positions have been business casual so any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Mezz

• Like 1

Exactly.

I mean you don't want to overdo it, but if you are serious about flying helicopters, go ahead and get yourself something like this.

I'm surprised I got selected not wearing that suit.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say there is a specific suit you should wear. You should just make sure you clean up well and look like someone who is respectable and a professional. Comb the hair, polish the shoes, either freshly shaved or very well groomed beard.

I would strongly suggest shaving. There are no beards in the Army (...yet?) and you're not going to earn points by standing out for having one. This is supposedly something you want to do for the next 6-20ish years of your life, and if you can't be bothered to shave your beard (and regrow it if you want afterwards)... If it were me on the board, and two otherwise equal candidates... the one who shaved is in over the one who didn't.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would strongly suggest shaving. There are no beards in the Army (...yet?) and you're not going to earn points by standing out for having one. This is supposedly something you want to do for the next 6-20ish years of your life, and if you can't be bothered to shave your beard (and regrow it if you want afterwards)... If it were me on the board, and two otherwise equal candidates... the one who shaved is in over the one who didn't.

I'm kinda curious...my dad is retired cost guard and he said that the whole shaving policy didn't take effect in the coast guard until the early 80s. He said he specifically remembers two guys with beards who after the policy took effect, he didn't even recognize. I'm curious was this just the coast guard that adopted this shaving policy late or other branches as well?

btw went with a charcoal suit

You can answer most of your questions if you use the filter of "how should I dress/speak/present myself, if I were interviewing for a potentially six-figure corporate position?"

if you can't afford a suit, no issue. Whatever you have, make it as clean and neat as you can. An interviewer understands the difference between wanting to and not being able, as opposed to able, and not caring.

Mike-

• Like 1