Frasca VRForum468VOLO_VRGeneral468Helicopter AcademyTigerTugsVRForumGen468
Photo
- - - - -

How is the professional pilot outlook doing these days?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Fred0311

Fred0311

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:07

Wow this is a depressing thread...

#42 zVo

zVo

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:47

I'm leaving for the fixed-wing world ... job opportunities, compensation, and quality of life for family is better than anything in the rotary-wing world. 

"The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters."
Genesis 1:2

God is a helicopter pilot.

#43 adam32

adam32

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Company working for:Just keeping the bills paid!!

Posted 07 May 2017 - 13:04

Oh great. I'm a full time civilian pilot, a National Guardsman, and a part-time police officer. I better run down to the courthouse on Monday to file my divorce paperwork before she does.

Just be patient.
  • UH60L-IP likes this

#44 Guest_pokey_*

Guest_pokey_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 13:27

No, that's not the genius.  

Where are these helicopter pilots who have been springboarded by boatpix into a 200,000 dollar helicopter money machine?

I know not much of boatpix. He seems to be doing OK tho, in business for 31? years so far? To me? Reminds me of the old Apex Tech guy: 

and Bug?,, you do need to 're-read',, he never said "into". Maybe get mom to read it for you & clarify? (he also never said "by boatpix)

And like Mr Apex said, "you get to keep the tools when you are done with your training"

Edited by pokey, 07 May 2017 - 14:56.

#45 Guest_pokey_*

Guest_pokey_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 13:39

The only industries with higher divorce rates are the military and law enforcement...

my wife run off with a cop 35 years ago, to this day?,, when ever i get pulled over? i still think (& cringe) it may be him trying to give her back.

Edited by pokey, 07 May 2017 - 13:41.

• Wally and TomPPL like this

#46 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 07 May 2017 - 13:50

I know not much of boatpix. He seems to be doing OK tho, in business for 31? years so far? To me? Reminds me of the old Apex Tech guy: 

and Bug?,, you do need to 're-read',, he never said "into". Maybe get mom to read it for you & clarify?

And like Mr Apex said, "you get to keep the tools when you are done with your training"

If the Apex guy said to a licensed mechanic with 700 hours working on Honda Civics with 14" wheels that under his program he would guarantee him a job only after he paid Mr Apex $25,000 to work on his Honda Civics for 100 hours (because his Civics are "unique" as they have 15" wheels) then yes you'd have an accurate comparison!

Now I'm no Bug lover (I'm actually a proud member of his "list"), but when it comes to Boatpix, his distaste for them is spot on!

The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#47 Guest_pokey_*

Guest_pokey_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 14:33

yup, the robbie is to the helicopter world, what the honda civic was to automobiles, back in the early 70's. I remember seeing them in the motorcycle dealer, they didn't even have 14 inchers back in that day, think they were maybe 12?  And you see where honda is today? Do i drive a honda? NOPE.

All the twists & turns this thread is going, sounds like a dime novel from the 1860's.

#48 Guest_pokey_*

Guest_pokey_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 15:33

All the twists & turns this thread is going, sounds like a dime novel from the 1860's.

how about facebook & zuckerburg? do we all like how he makes zillions off of a stolen idea?,, do we care? do we use it? NO, not really, yes!,,  is he a schmuck? ===prolly. but do we care? some do. 

oh, don't we love the internet. ? some of us do. Some know how to use it. 

#49 Krypticninja

Krypticninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 18:39

Just got my CFI a month ago, eyeing a job in CBP in a couple years as they are apparently desperate for pilots right now. Ya'll are some depressing people in this thread.

• TomPPL likes this

#50 adam32

adam32

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Company working for:Just keeping the bills paid!!

Posted 10 May 2017 - 19:04

Not depressing people, just realists.
  • takefootoff likes this

#51 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 10 May 2017 - 19:56

Just got my CFI a month ago, eyeing a job in CBP in a couple years as they are apparently desperate for pilots right now. Ya'll are some depressing people in this thread.

Desperate for pilots,...?

That sounds like, dare I say it? A pilot shortage, ooooooo! So that's were all those Vietnan pilots have been hiding, CBP! :D
  • TomPPL likes this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

#52 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 10 May 2017 - 19:56

Ahhh balls,...double post!

Edited by r22butters, 10 May 2017 - 19:57.

#53 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 00:50

Handful of state and one local law enforcement agencies in the northeast need pilots from my observations.

This is something I hope to see either shut down or overtaken by UAS.

...that's my tax dollars dammit

The FEDs get a pass in my book, FWIW

#54 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 00:50

Oops. Double post as well.

#55 zippiesdrainage

zippiesdrainage

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Company working for:AEL

Posted 12 May 2017 - 15:38

There's a lot of concern about the future of the industry, for everyone across the board.

..Oil and Gas is diminishing, I don't think it'll ever become automated, but it'll get scaled back in the near future and be controlled by a minimal fleet.

..EMS is also gearing up for a hit as complaints and news stories pile up of lawsuits and high cost lead to an eventual law or ruling that'll reduce or limit cost which will close many bases.

..Power-line/Pipeline/ENG will go to drones sooner or later.

The entire industry is going to scale back significantly in coming years. These three are some of the major employers in the industry and as it shrinks you'll see guys fall back into tours and it'll drive up hour requirements across the board.

I've been flying for 8 years now, I absolutely love my job, but I don't think the industry will look the same in 10 years. It'll take that long to pay off student loans for flight school. I'm a realist and not pessimistic, but I would advise against anyone entering a shrinking industry with a 100K debt.

• TomPPL likes this

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience, can never go back to its old dimensions"- Unknown

#56 avbug

avbug

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 23:36

I've been flying a lot longer, and there's no scaling back on EMS.  It's not a job you're likely to see turn over to unmanned operations, nor a reduction in the demand.  There has been an increasing trend toward better avionics, including night vision, better training, consolidation among operators, but not a loss of numbers or service.  If anything, it's become more competitive. 

#57 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:20

Gosh, it seems like every time I check the CBP job posting the requirements change....

They just gotta wise up and lower that nominal number. 

#58 DizzyD

DizzyD

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:46

Discussion of rotorcraft autonomous flight programs from Rotor & Wing

here

• r22butters likes this

#59 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:38

Gosh, it seems like every time I check the CBP job posting the requirements change....

They just gotta wise up and lower that nominal number.

No matter, once The Great Wall of Trump is built there will be no need for choppers. Just post a guard every few miles and give him a drone!

,...and Mexico will pay for the batteries!:D
  • Wally and takefootoff like this

#60 AS350 pilot

AS350 pilot

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Company working for:Utility

Posted 15 May 2017 - 13:52

If you're looking for better money, a schedule, and being in demmand then you need to find a niche in the industry. Single pilot IFR and precision long line work are the two that come to mind. If you're good at one of those then you won't have trouble finding work.

• Carmelscene likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200Able_VRGeneral200DevoreGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralHeliHelmetsMaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200