How is the professional pilot outlook doing these days?

Just got my CFI a month ago, eyeing a job in CBP in a couple years as they are apparently desperate for pilots right now. Ya'll are some depressing people in this thread.

Desperate for pilots,...?

That sounds like, dare I say it? A pilot shortage, ooooooo! So that's were all those Vietnan pilots have been hiding, CBP! :D

• Like 1

There's a lot of concern about the future of the industry, for everyone across the board.

..Oil and Gas is diminishing, I don't think it'll ever become automated, but it'll get scaled back in the near future and be controlled by a minimal fleet.

..EMS is also gearing up for a hit as complaints and news stories pile up of lawsuits and high cost lead to an eventual law or ruling that'll reduce or limit cost which will close many bases.

..Power-line/Pipeline/ENG will go to drones sooner or later.

The entire industry is going to scale back significantly in coming years. These three are some of the major employers in the industry and as it shrinks you'll see guys fall back into tours and it'll drive up hour requirements across the board.

I've been flying for 8 years now, I absolutely love my job, but I don't think the industry will look the same in 10 years. It'll take that long to pay off student loans for flight school. I'm a realist and not pessimistic, but I would advise against anyone entering a shrinking industry with a 100K debt.

• Like 1

I've been flying a lot longer, and there's no scaling back on EMS. It's not a job you're likely to see turn over to unmanned operations, nor a reduction in the demand. There has been an increasing trend toward better avionics, including night vision, better training, consolidation among operators, but not a loss of numbers or service. If anything, it's become more competitive.

Gosh, it seems like every time I check the CBP job posting the requirements change....

They just gotta wise up and lower that nominal number.

No matter, once The Great Wall of Trump is built there will be no need for choppers. Just post a guard every few miles and give him a drone!

,...and Mexico will pay for the batteries!:D

• Like 2

If you're looking for better money, a schedule, and being in demmand then you need to find a niche in the industry. Single pilot IFR and precision long line work are the two that come to mind. If you're good at one of those then you won't have trouble finding work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really think the doom and gloom and "realism" are synonymous terms here. Just seems like there are a lot of folks who are frustrated that there isn't a clearer and as profitable path up the heli-ranks as there is for FW guys.

I fly helos because it's fun and I enjoy it... thanks for the encouraging post KeiserSosa. At the end of the day a lot of popular helicopter industries may dwindle to nothing, but that's not to say helicopter pilot hopefuls can't find a niche that can pay the bills. If flying is what makes you happy then you'll be fine on 60k/yr. I don't think anybody who has flown helicopters past the private level in today's world would encourage somebody to go into it for the money

Profitable time-building niches still exist... for right now... Ag will probably be replaced by drones sooner than EMS and offshore will.. Yamaha is already offering a more competitive UAV spraying service to farmers in the US. However, I'm optimistic that there will still be piloted helicopter ag operations in play long enough for me to make a buck and build some time. :D

If not I'll move to Alaska or just CFI on the weekends and keep my day job. <_<

• Like 1

So much talk of money!

For what its worth old butters didn't want a flying career to make big bucks. A studio appartment, motorcycle, and keeping my Trans Am running for 50-60k giving rides over the Strip in Vegas is all I wanted.

Only place I've ever heard pilots complain about money is here! In the real world I believe most just do it for the love if flying?

,...you'd have to, to put up with the bullshit it takes to get in!

• Like 1

50-60 flying tours? Are you high?

Back when places like Papillon and Maverick used to actually post job ads (you know, during the Great Pilot Shortage about ten years ago) that is what they posted. 50k to start, 60k within 5 years, medical, dental, 401k, salary plus flight pay, paid time off, etc...

• Like 1

The pilot making $200K a year isn't following this post now. He might have been about ten years ago when he was looking for an entry level job. Our FB page BOATPIXERS

Two hundred thousand dollars flying helicopters.

You're holding that out as a realistic goal for entry level helicopter pilots who pay you to go to work, then?

Edited by avbug

I pay $20/hour for entry level helicopter pilots job. That's well published. "The pilot making $200K a year isn't following this post now. He might have been about ten years ago when he was looking for an entry level job." is what I posted. So, the guy that was reading this forum "about ten years ago when he was looking for an entry level job" and looking to make $20/hour with me is who i was referring to. And yes, I have guys that have worked for me about ten years ago report now making $200,000 a year. Yes, that is true. A tip would be to find a Billionaire and if you have about 5,000 hours and the appropriate schools and twin time you might get that job. You know, when you sought out Bell School to get that Bell job or you sought out Boatpix School to get that Boatpix job it's sort of the same thing. I still stand by my statement that the guys doing a lot of flying don't have much time to mess with this forum.

I keep in touch with three former boatpix pilots that fly for Billionaires. They are well compensated and some disclose what they make and some don't. They are all under some sort of confidentiality agreements but when you trained them to private, commercial, cfi and gave them a job and then helped them get the first turbine job they tend to want to keep in touch. Pretty much any person that has a turbine helicopter or a new piston helicopter is a millionaire, too, right? Okay, so there is a lot of money in the helicopter business. If you were a Billionaire would you have a helicopter? A Boat? Why of course. We do both.

Still like to know how it takes 100hrs for a rated Robbie pilot (whether he has 200hrs, or 700hrs) to learn how to position an R22 Mariner around a boat so that a cfi can take pictures, when it takes only 40hrs to learn how to fly from the get go and another 40hrs to learn how to fly by instruments,...with 20hrs to spare for "slow learners"?

,...but that's just me. :o

I keep in touch with three former boatpix pilots that fly for Billionaires. They are well compensated and some disclose what they make and some don't. They are all under some sort of confidentiality agreements but when you trained them to private, commercial, cfi and gave them a job and then helped them get the first turbine job they tend to want to keep in touch. Pretty much any person that has a turbine helicopter or a new piston helicopter is a millionaire, too, right? Okay, so there is a lot of money in the helicopter business. If you were a Billionaire would you have a helicopter? A Boat? Why of course. We do both.

So that's your bullshit insinuation? Get employees to pay you to "work" for them (not a job when you're paying for it; employees get paid). You insinuate that people who buy a "job" from you can make two hundred thousand flying helicopters?

You're a bullshit artist, and not a very good one.

So much talk of money!

For what its worth old butters didn't want a flying career to make big bucks. A studio appartment, motorcycle, and keeping my Trans Am running for 50-60k giving rides over the Strip in Vegas is all I wanted.

Only place I've ever heard pilots complain about money is here! In the real world I believe most just do it for the love if flying?

,...you'd have to, to put up with the bullshit it takes to get in!

Compensation is a frequent and huge subject of discussion amongst professional pilots. If your average citizen is around, the subject might not arise, but trust me: working pilots, just like anybody in the workforce, talk about money and why they are not being better compensated.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

This looks like it could be one of those elusive 200k jobs?

,...after all it does say, "Boat/Offshore experience!

Job Description:

Pilot, Helicopter

A Private flight department in the Pacific Northwest is seeking an

experienced Pilot, Helicopter to join the team.

This position will function as a Second Pilot of a two-pilot

helicopter flight operation. These operations are based primarily on board

large private luxury yachts that operate throughout the world. Responsibilities

include not only normal flight duties, but also assisting in acquisition of

permits and permissions to fly in various countries, some light maintenance

(with supervision), washing and cleaning the aircraft, and other duties as

assigned.

This position requires extensive domestic and international

travel, the ability to work and sometimes live in close proximity to other crew

members, and a positive attitude toward non-flying as well as flying duties.

The successful candidate will be expected to assume responsibility

for the aircraft assigned and its crew and passengers. He/She will ensure the

highest degree of safety, comfort, service and efficiency

They must be service orientated with the ability to work in a

demanding, environment with frequent changes. The ability to maintain strict

confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information and security issues

involving aircraft and passengers is a critical.

This position is based out of Seattle, WA. You must be willing to relocate to the

greater Seattle area and be able to dispatch to the Seattle-Tacoma

International airport to make departures flights within 3 hours notice.

Required Skills

·Hold a US ATP Helicopter Pilot Certificate or a Commercial

Certificate with an Instrument rating

·Total Time: 3000 Hours Helicopter

·Maintain a US First Class Medical

·Valid US Passport

·Hold a US FCC Radio Operators permit

·Bachelors degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution

and 4 plus years relevant experience, OR equivalent years work experience; or

equivalent combination of education and experience.

·Experience with Corporate/VIP operations.

Preferred Skills

·Boat/Offshore Flight experience

·International IFR and VFR experience

·MD 900, EC 145 and S-76

·A & P Mechanics Certificate

Benefits: Great benefits, competitive wages and

participation in the companies 401k.

Job Requirements:

Salary Range: Neg-Neg

• Like 1

Compensation is a frequent and huge subject of discussion amongst professional pilots. If your average citizen is around, the subject might not arise, but trust me: working pilots, just like anybody in the workforce, talk about money and why they are not being better compensated.

Those for whom compensation isn't an issue are hobbyists.

The rest of us fly for a living, and compensation is very much the reason we come to work.

• Like 3

Those for whom compensation isn't an issue are hobbyists.

No sh*t sherlock!

The question many of us asked ourselves when when we were young is, do I want a job I'll love, or one that pays the big bucks?

Now sure, if you find both you've just won life's lottery, but for most of us its gonna end up either, or?

,...and if I wanted to be rich, I would never have considered flying for a living!

"I knew I shoulda listen to my mother!, I coulda been a cosmetic surgeon, five hundred thouw a year, up to my neck in tits and ass!" :o :D

• Like 1