• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UgleeBarnacle

UgleeBarnacle

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Snowboarding, Running.
  • Company working for:The Ohio State University

Posted 09 May 2017 - 14:36

An interesting opportunity that I thought I'd forward for anyone who may be interested. I've attached the local news article about it as well as the man's craigslist ad below. 

Essentially, Mr. Lowell Newsome suffered a stroke 2 years ago and has been grounded as a result. He's itching to get back in the air so bad that he's looking for someone to fly him in his personal R22, and he'll cover all expenses.

I looked into it myself, but I've only ever flown the H269c and don't meet the SFAR requirements to fly the Robinsons. That, and I believe his R22 is under the "experimental" category, which may have certain implications as far as maintenance goes... Even if I could fly the R22, I don't know enough about the Mx to make an assessment over whether he's kept up on inspections and if it's airworthy ("experimental  R22" was a red flag for me personally).

PM me and I can give you Mr. Newsome's his contact info.

Columbus Dispatch Article:

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170507/theodore-decker-pilot-grounded-by-stroke-wants-to-fly-in-copter-again 

Craigslist ad:

https://columbus.cra...6109591125.html

#2 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 09 May 2017 - 21:28

...Even if I could fly the R22, I don't know enough about the Mx to make an assessment over whether he's kept up on inspections and if it's airworthy ("experimental  R22" was a red flag for me personally).

Depends on why its now experimental?

I flew a 22 like that once. It was experimental because it had a digital sign attached to the bottom. I wasn't concerned about the 22 itself, but my uncertainty over how it would perform in an auto in this experimental state was my "red flag" and one of the reasons I did not take that job.

I also went on a ferry flight once with a private owner. While checking out his 44 I asked for a ladder to check the main rotor, to which he replied, "Oh' I never check that." BE EXTRA CAUTIOUS OF PRIVATE OWNERS!
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#3 Bonzo828

Bonzo828

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Weapons &Tactics, Fitness, Outdoors.
  • Company working for:Professional cat herder.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:47

Doesn't look sketchy at all.....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it" - The only thing we can control is our attitude.

#4 Guest_pokey_*

Guest_pokey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:01

Doesn't look sketchy at all.....

Like butters said, it all depends on why its in the experimental category. I came up with a heater for the 300 once, based on the proven airplane type heater muff. When it was installed? it was 'experimental' category, when off? back to normal.  I also had a guy want me to build him a 300 out of timed out parts and put it in experimental category--you know how that ended up. (showed him the door). I suppose if you bent the right ear, you could get an experimental certificate for timed out parts, would i do it? NOPE, would i have anything to do with something like that? NOPE. 

He may have a legit reason for it being experimental, but? i'd wanna know the reason and see the books B4 i fly it with him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

HeliHelmets-VR HomeAble_VRHOme200Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016NFCVRForum200HomeColoradoHeliOpsHome200Helmet FX Home 200PrecisionVRForumHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200Genesys VR Forum 200DevoreHome200