Age for private licence

I am 14, I turn 15 in the summer. I`m good with computers and mechanical stuff and what not. I really would like to get a helicopter license. I figured since I need many hours of flight time and classroom learning, I thought I can start now and by the time I`m 16, all I gotta do is take whatever tests I need to and I`m good to go. Does that sound like a good plan?

You should start to study regulations. You have to be 17 to earn that certificate. Look up FAA regulations for Private Pilot Eligibility. 14 CFR Part 61.103

You can start training sooner of course, but you need to be 16 before doing your required solo flights.

If your wanting to start a home ground study course, PM me and I can help you get what you need to get started.

• Like 1

Good on ya for getting an early start! WolftalonID makes a good point. Start studying now.

Starting a career early can be good and bad (mostly good). My personal experience was starting my first flying job at 21 and really the biggest challenge was people not taking you seriously. 10 years later people still ask me "are you 12?!" when I show up on job sites.

My advice would be; be extra professional, clean cut, yes sir no sir attitude, and find the older pilots to learn from.

Enjoy the ride my friend, I wouldn't trade my career for any other career out there.

My advice would be;be...clean cut, yes sir no sir attitude...

Damn, that certainly describes a working environment I'd hate! I like my three day old scruff, hair over my ears, and I don't think I've ever called anyone "sir",...even my first job at 16 my boss had me call him by his first name!

'Course if you want to be like good ole butters and drive the mighty 18 wheeler, you don nee studi notin, don evn nee no hi skool deeplomee,...haile jus drop out nows an weel geeve ya a gowe! :D

However, if you really do want to fly, try the Helicopter Flying Handbook and Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

,...days free to downloady heer;

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

,...but you better start studying now, because once you turn 15 all you'll be able to think about is that red head one row over and three seats up in your Social Studies class!

These posters are citing the USA regulations and I'm in the Miami area but we once trained a girl that went to Canada and soloed there on her 14th birthday! I didn't like that the father was pushing his agenda on the girl and I told him that. Regardless, as a 30 year operator in the flight training area I recommend you buy for $199 the www.HeliGround.com course which is essentially at Part 141 ground school that you can do on your computer, iPad or phone. It completely walks you through ground school and quiz's you along the way. You can't move forward unless you know the material. The computer doesn't miss anything is a syllabus and you really learn the material. There is a completion certificate at the end and an instructor can sign you off to take the written exam. Most ground schools are going to be like 100 hours and at about $40 to $50/hour get expensive. There are other programs and they usually help you prepare for a checkride but the www.HeliGround.com gives you the fundamentals like ABC and 123 and starts with aerodynamics and airfoils which sum knowledge will help you on your first flight to make it a useful lesson.