Air Force Flight Engineer to Army Pilot

Hey everyone, I'm a KC-10 Flight Engineer. I'm looking at making the switch to Army Helicopter pilot. I'm curious if any other pilots on here were prior FE's and may have some experience on what the transition is like, what FE knowledge came in handy for WOFT, etc. I guess this would also be a good question for prior fixed wing people as well. As a KC-10 FE, I'm proficient in not only aircraft systems/engineering, but also in IFR, TOLD computations/chart reading, *some* VFR (not a lot of VFR in the KC-10 world, lol), and reading Jeppesen Departure and Landing plates (which ties in with IFR, I guess.) Anyway, I appreciate all the help!

Hey everyone, I'm a KC-10 Flight Engineer. I'm looking at making the switch to Army Helicopter pilot. I'm curious if any other pilots on here were prior FE's and may have some experience on what the transition is like, what FE knowledge came in handy for WOFT, etc. I guess this would also be a good question for prior fixed wing people as well. As a KC-10 FE, I'm proficient in not only aircraft systems/engineering, but also in IFR, TOLD computations/chart reading, *some* VFR (not a lot of VFR in the KC-10 world, lol), and reading Jeppesen Departure and Landing plates (which ties in with IFR, I guess.) Anyway, I appreciate all the help!

Sounds like you'll have a leg up. Most people start the WOFT program with very little knowledge about aviation, let alone IFR, Jepp plates etc. The rated aviators I went to flight school with naturally did very well. Good luck!

I'm not a Army pilot, yet, but I'm coming from a similar military aviation related background. Put my packet together with the guidance of 2 prior Army pilots who I work with. They laid it out to me like this: the Army Warrant Officer Recruiting team is looking for people with "the ability to be technical experts in their field." When it came down to it, I had a very easy time relating to my current aviation experience in my application, specifically my resume, to prove my ability to *become* a technical expert and leader in Army Aviation.

You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't pursue this now. You have from what little I've already read the skills, aptitude, and ability to readily become a technical expert as a rotary wing aviator.

Good luck brother, I'll be rooting for you!