SFAR 73 question..

I am starting my add on training soon in a Robinson and had a question I hope someone could answer for me...

SFAR 73 states, in part, :

For Students without Helicopter Rating

• Before first flight: Awareness training and logbook endorsement.
  • Before logging PIC time: 10 hours of dual instruction and a logbook endorsement (R-44 students can credit 5 hours of R-22 time).
  • Before your solo: 20 hours of dual instruction in that particular model and a logbook endorsement, good for 90 days, showing you’ve received training in enhanced autorotations, RPM control without the governor, low RPM and recovery, and effects of low g & recovery.

So my question is, what does "in that particular model" mean? Does 'model' mean 'Robinson' overall, or does that mean a 22 or 44 specifically?

For cost reasons, i was wanting to start and get @10 hours in a 22 before switching to a 44 but don't want to need an additional 20 hours dual to be able to solo in the 44 after I have already received 10 in the 22.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

• Like 1

What you are quoting is not actually directly from SFAR 73 to Part 61. It looks like a "review" of it from a website like this https://disciplesofflight.com/sfar-73-a-rule-unlike-any-other-in-aviation/.

That's a good overview of it, but if you actually look at SFAR 73, the "model" that is referred to in that paragraph is specific to either the R22 or R44, not Robinson helicopters. From the SFAR 73 text:

2(b.)(3) - "A person who does not hold a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating must have had at least 20 hours of dual instruction in a Robinson R-22 helicopter prior to operating it in solo flight..."

2(b.)(4) - "A person who does not hold a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating must have had at least 20 hours of dual instruction in a Robinson R-44 helicopter prior to operating it in solo flight..."

So, there are 2 separate paragraphs that talk about each model. So (if I'm interpreting it correctly), you would not be able to 10 hours in the 22, and then 10 in the 44, and then go solo the 44. You have to have 20 in the model (22 or 44).

Edited by 01CelicaGTS
  • Like 1

If cost is an issue might I suggest staying clear of that overrated moneytrap they call the R44?

If however you are really jonesing for that same view from the cockpit, but with two extra seats behind you and a greater drain on your wallet, then I'd suggest getting your add on in the R22, then you'll only need five hours in the 44 to fly one PIC.