Shipping a vehicle from OCONUS

Currently in Korea on a one-year unaccompanied tour. I'm looking at buying a SOFA registered collector's car with plans to bring it to the US under the 25 year or older exemption. I know I won't be able to ship a vehicle at gov't expense on a one year assignment, but is anyone aware of restrictions on shipping a SOFA car back on my own?

Unless someone else has done it, they probably won't have the insight. I suggest going by your camp's local legal assistance and/or Transportation office. Getting past the gatekeeper at Trans might be an issue, but I bet there is some old expat/GS there that is somewhat smart on it or knows someone from another office that is (I bet someone on a command sponsored has done such before).

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty easy. The military doesnt need to be involved at all. In fact you could buy it and export it without even titling it in your name. Super easy to do if it is in your name. Find a shipper, take it to the docks and fill out the right form (hs7) if i remember right, and on the boat it goes. Should run anywhere from 800 to 2k depending on where you send it. PM me your info and ill definately help with the leg work to build some local contacts. Ive got a guy who can assist with the registration amd transfer if you need a hand for a minimal fee. Korean DMV is no joke. I just got here but am shooting to find and export my first one in about 6 months. Im guessing you found a skyline or something else fun.

Pretty easy. The military doesnt need to be involved at all. In fact you could buy it and export it without even titling it in your name. Super easy to do if it is in your name. Find a shipper, take it to the docks and fill out the right form (hs7) if i remember right, and on the boat it goes. Should run anywhere from 800 to 2k depending on where you send it. PM me your info and ill definately help with the leg work to build some local contacts. Ive got a guy who can assist with the registration amd transfer if you need a hand for a minimal fee. Korean DMV is no joke. I just got here but am shooting to find and export my first one in about 6 months. Im guessing you found a skyline or something else fun.

• Like 1

Yeah, was eying an R32 that popped up at K16. After driving around here for a few days decided I didn't want to drive one while I'm here. Looking into going to Japan for a long weekend and just shipping directly from there to the US. Shipping costs are lower and I won't need to deal with Korea at all.

I had two friends that shipped back euro spec original minis from Germany, both used military shipment and said it was a straight forward process and didn't run into any problems with customs. If you can go directly to your servicing VPC they should have the forms you will need even though you will not be shipping on government dime. That and I am sure that now the R32 is old enough there has been a large influx of them (seen a couple here at Bragg already).