SIFT Prep - Crunch Time

Hi! I'm scheduled to take the SIFT on June 2nd. I took a week off work beforehand. I'm scoring well in math, simple drawings, Hidden Figures (with squinting). Aviation section I'm comfortable but I could do better. Mechanics I'm struggling a little with. Been a while since high school.

Given my time left before the test (approx 2 weeks) any additional resources? Good websites on aviation? Which chapters of FAA book do I NEED to read? Additional practice problems?

I'all take what I can get! Especially on Aviation and Mechanics questions. What should I focus on?

I would greatly appreciate it!

• Like 1

Find some online ASVAB practice tests for the mechanical section. As far as the FAA Rotocraft manual, it is 158 pages and all of the info is helpful. But, you could probably focus on the first 5 chapters. Pay particular attention to the aerodynamics of a wing and the section on fluid dynamics. It is a little counterintuitive but makes sense after you read it a few times.

You should probably have an understanding on translating tendency, gyroscopic motion and effective translational lift.

Like I said that whole manual has a lot of good info but pay attention to the systems vice procedures and you should be fine. Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, thank you all so much for the input. Been reading the FAA manual and yes Gideon I will be checking out your resources.

Unfortunately, the Army ROTC officer forgot about my scheduled test date so we have now rescheduled to June 23rd. More time for studying :)

I bought an ASVAB study guide and another well rated SIFT study guide.

Any areas of focus within Mechanics and Aviation that are recurring etc? I really want to do well!

Is the math section from ASVAB a good resource for practice questions?

Hi! I'm scheduled to take the SIFT on June 2nd. I took a week off work beforehand. I'm scoring well in math, simple drawings, Hidden Figures (with squinting). Aviation section I'm comfortable but I could do better. Mechanics I'm struggling a little with. Been a while since high school.

Given my time left before the test (approx 2 weeks) any additional resources? Good websites on aviation? Which chapters of FAA book do I NEED to read? Additional practice problems?

I'all take what I can get! Especially on Aviation and Mechanics questions. What should I focus on?

I would greatly appreciate it!

I studied the day before the sift and used the sporty's helicopter training videos, hahaha.

Got a 55 but whatever, it got me in. I always struggle with math :ph34r:

Math and mechanics its pretty much the same as the ASVAB... MEMORIZE the army aircrafts, basic maneuvers, flight controls, oil/fuel weight and stuff... the part that I underestimated and I know it got me pretty good was spatial apperception (that's right, should be one of the easy parts), still managed a 52 cause I know I did well in math and mechanics but I bombed SA and the first 2, hidden figures and simple drawings but you can only prepare that much for those 2... I think you have to actually try to not get a 40. Test its not hard at all and you have plenty of time to prepare for it. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I took the test and passed with a 56. I must have bombed the Hidden Figures. Literally I like guessed on almost everyone. Was frustrating bc it was nothing like the study guide. Mechanics was easy, aviation section easy but material that I didn't see in study guides or FAA manual.

So I'm good with a 56 then? From my understanding the pass mark is 40 so I should be good.