Coast Guard DCA

Did some research here but most everything is almost a decade old on the topic so I figured I would start up something recent. Just looking to see if there are any prior Army WO's gone Coast Guard DCA here or any Coast Guard pilots at all. I've looked into the program and I should be all set for the minimums by the time I get back from my current deployment. I'm looking to get some insight from anyone who has gone through the process or just some info about the day to day life in the Coast Guard. Ideally seeing the differences from someone who has done it before would be great. Appreciate the help once again.

Hey, PM me. I'm currently Coast Guard aircrew and work with a couple pilots who have done that. I'll talk to them and see if they would be willing to answer your questions. Send me your contact email.

I hope it works out for you! I think it's going to be very hard to get the Army to let go of you right now.

I have been hearing that as long as it's a career advancement thing and you're staying in an active component of the DoD, they will typically approve it. But yea, I think getting that conditional release will be the hardest part about the whole process...

Ryan,

You're almost guaranteed to not get released from your 6-year winging ADSO especially as the Army is 700+ pilots short this FY. In the past depending on the mood of HRC, DCA has been looked upon as upwardly mobile in the same manner as applying for OCS, but we're at the bottom of the recruiting wave at the moment.

Mike-

Ryan,

You're almost guaranteed to not get released from your 6-year winging ADSO especially as the Army is 700+ pilots short this FY. In the past depending on the mood of HRC, DCA has been looked upon as upwardly mobile in the same manner as applying for OCS, but we're at the bottom of the recruiting wave at the moment.

Mike-

The last spread I saw still showed 60 guys as overstrength so I'm hoping for the best. If I have to stay with the Army for the full ADSO then I'll just apply to the CG later with more hours, not the end of the world. It will likely be a year before I apply as well so things may change. Wishful thinking and all but can't hurt to apply for the conditional haha hope you're having a good time up in New York!

I know lots of ex-Army pilots in the CG. It happens.

I recognize that name. Congrats on the retirement! You probably don't remember but we met back when you were flying for Air Station San Francisco long before I joined the Coast Guard. Happy to report that after 6 years of service here in the CG, I just got picked up for Army Flight training.

• Like 1

I recognize that name. Congrats on the retirement! You probably don't remember but we met back when you were flying for Air Station San Francisco long before I joined the Coast Guard. Happy to report that after 6 years of service here in the CG, I just got picked up for Army Flight training.

Nice... Did we fly together? Congrats on your Army transition.

• Like 1

Nice... Did we fly together? Congrats on your Army transition.

Thanks. No, we did not fly together but I've been your FB friend since shortly after we met when I was a civilian. I joined about a year later, did almost four years on POLAR STAR then began work as an AMT in Miami. You would know Montaldi and Gasper though, friends of mine whom you certainly would have flown with.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat. Army UH-60 pilot looking to transfer next year when my obligation is up. Is there anyone that has gone the DCA route that I could talk to?

I have talked to a few guys and can pass forward the info if you'd like?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat. Army UH-60 pilot looking to transfer next year when my obligation is up. Is there anyone that has gone the DCA route that I could talk to?

I just retired, but did the DCA from the Navy. Have a few good Army DCA buds as well. PM me if you want.

Mud