Just How Easy is IFR Nowadays!?

Glass panel makes it too easy, that Artificial Horizon is your turn coordinator

Airspeed

groundspeed

WINDSPEED

glideslope

hsi/Vor

vsi

all in one with trend indicators. The left side can display moving maps or switched to a secondary indicator or an approach plate that shows your position and predicted flight path.

Cool video. I'm curious, is this sort of flying legal anywhere? Looks like a VFR flight in IMC (I might be wrong as I am no IFR expert).

Not having a go at the video or pilot, was just wondering if there are parts of the world where this is the norm.

"The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,..."

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

Sorry but that made my day. :lol:

As far as your question goes I'm assuming with modern day avionics IFR flying has become a lot less stressful. Just like autonomous helis will make the pilots job a lot easier. As with all technologies, they help make things easier and more efficient.

The question, then, is what makes you think the flight was conducted under VFR?

Like I said "looks like" IMC in VFR flight. I am only basing that of my extremely limited understanding of IFR, which I thought involves various minima, including minimum safe altitudes, airways etc. Also looks like a B407 which isn't normally used for IFR flights - at least down here anyway. If its an IFR flight, easy thanks for clearing that up...

Man, who cares if this flight was IFR or VFR. Look how cool the pilot is....... short sleeve white airline shirt, Captain rank on his shoulders and green flight gloves!!!! This pilot has got the "Cool Factor" going 110%.

Man, who cares if this flight was IFR or VFR. Look how cool the pilot is....... short sleeve white airline shirt, Captain rank on his shoulders and green flight gloves!!!! This pilot has got the "Cool Factor" going 110%.

Wearing Crocs too. Wa-a-a-a-y koool. Me, I want to be VFR with contact and vis or I want to be all the way IFR. Glass panels, integrated displays is also cool, makes poopin' and scootin' much easier in whatever the legal, comfortable weather is for whatever it is that is so important that you do, but don't think equipment makes the decisions better.

Well gee, all I was trying to say by posting that video was that if my artificial horizon had been the size of a tv screen, I may have actually enjoyed my instrument training!?

As for legality? Well I thought you could take off IFR, but then again I haven't flown under the hood in like twelve years, so...?

Single pilot IFR is some of the most demanding flying one can do. While a large panel display or an integrated display can aid in situational awareness, it would be a gross misstatement to suggest that IFR is "easy."

I wasn't saying the flying was easy, just that it answers my question..in a way. My initial post was just asking if there were places in the world where aircraft not on an IFR flight plan can fly IMC legally. Im still in the dark on that, although I assume from your (fairly critic) response this was an IFR flight.

I wasn't saying the flying was easy, just that it answers my question..in a way. My initial post was just asking if there were places in the world where aircraft not on an IFR flight plan can fly IMC legally. Im still in the dark on that, although I assume from your (fairly critic) response this was an IFR flight.

In uncontrolled airspace, a flight may be operated under instrument conditions without ever talking to a soul. Not necessarily wise, but quite legal, and there are many parts of the globe where instrument flight is regularly conducted without talking to anyone.

• Like 1

In uncontrolled airspace, a flight may be operated under instrument conditions without ever talking to a soul. Not necessarily wise, but quite legal, and there are many parts of the globe where instrument flight is regularly conducted without talking to anyone.

What does "clear of clouds" mean to you? or visibility?

I'm not asking about other countries.

You're wrong, like all of the time.

...what's IMC when you have a VFR helicopter?

An emergency.

The type of airspace is irrelevant. Class G is uncontrolled so you can't file IFR in it, however that does not preclude one from going IMC, just like you can in all other airspaces.

Going IMC while flying VFR is largely a contingency that has to be accounted for, and is not because people are idiots. Sometimes you have to fly a departure out of your airfield, cancel IFR, do what you need to do VFR, and then pick up an approach back home. It's rare, but it does happen and people do plan for it. Not exactly on my "to do" list though.

IMC is a VFR flight that turns into in IFR flight due to idiot pilots...what's IMC when you have a VFR helicopter?

If you have to refer to the gauges to fly the aircraft, you should be IFR. It doesn't matter whether the weather conditions are "VMC" or "IMC". I have been without useful visual reference under clear skies with 3 miles vis. Think flat light situations, for example.

Guest pokey

Am I the only one who sees the irony in The Bug starting fights with two guys in a thread created by a guy who is on his "ignore" list?

they don't call him the 'bug' for nuthin'