Recommended/best heart of LA, CA helicopter training..?

I am new here and looking for some good insight from people familiar with the area. Looking into training locations in central Los Angeles to get my add-on Helicopter Commercial & CFI with..? I currently hold an ATP & CFI. I would like to find a place to train that is a nice fit for me to accomplish this. Possible even be able to be picked up as an instructor with them when I am finished. I’m 50 years old and have a diversified aviation background. Helicopter mechanic for 10 plus years, Agricultural pilot/crop duster for 9 years, Fire fighting tanker pilot 3 years. Government contractor aircraft mechanic for 7 years. Finally figured I should do this. I am not in search for the school with the sharpest epaulettes just looking for solid training and instructors. It can be part 91, 61, etc. Any suggestions are wholly appreciated.

Seriously folks I thought this forum was the go-to spot for helicopter industry insight. Out of the dozens of helicopter schools in and around Los Angeles no one out there has a single thing to say, any recommendations or advisements against a single one…? I was hoping to get some firsthand experience advice. Company web sites are pretty useless for making an informed decision. They all say they are they best around and show you glossy photos, along with only positive over the top testimonials.

If you had asked when I got my ppl I would have recommended my school, but only if you flew with my old instructor and/or one other guy, the other instructors I wasn't so hot about,...well maybe one other guy?

If you asked me after my instrument/commercial training, I would not have recommended my school (same school by the way).

Recommendations aren't worth much anyway! Went to take my car in for its 100k service and a guy "recommended" a shop to me, said they were the best, he always had a good experience there. Me, not so much! Eventually I had to take my car somewhere else to get fixed what they screwed up!

Go on a few demo flights, interview a few instructors, and see for yourself who will be your best fit!

First school I talked with was not the school who trained me,...didn't like her attitude!

,...but if you really insist on a recommendation pm Goldy he's the Socal guy around here.

Edited by r22butters

Yes, check out Revolution Aviation as they now offer the Guimbal Cabri G2 to use for training along with Robinson's products. More schools are starting to use it but they're the only in California so far I believe.

Awesome, I've been wanting to check one of those out,...and a five hour drive south is a much nicer prospect than a twelve hour drive north to the one at Precission!

• 1 month later...

Helistream in Costa Mesa. Top notch school. Western is good too, but chances of being hired are slim. Very slim.

Western is very much a more advanced training school, much less of a initial training school. Not your average group there. Most of the CFI's have 10,000 plus hours, some that just retired probably 3 times that number. LA has changed over the last 10-12 years, used to be schools everywhere. One by one they fell off the map.

• 7 months later...

We still fly in Torrance, Compton, Long Beach and John Wayne. Been known to train in SandDiego and Santa Barbara as well. We guaranteed everyone a job but you'll have to meet our insurance of 300 hours rotor and as an add on to a fixed wing that's going to be expensive. Also, you might want to review SFAR73 (that's in the front of the FAR/AIM in the Special Federal Air Regulations) as it spells out that you'll need 200 hours rotor to instruct in the R22 and the R44.

• Like 1