TigerTugsVRForumGen468VOLO_VRGeneral468UpperLimit2011General_468x60Helicopter Academy
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

California flying

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 centralpaheli

centralpaheli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 13:20

Experienced pilot who has learned the value of other pilots experience. From the east coast but I will be flying a B407 soon from the San Diego area up to the SFO area (VFR only) and wondered if someone who has flown that route can offer suggestions for the best routes. Thx! I'll be happy to call you or provide a number for you to call.

• TeoerryNug likes this

#2 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 07 June 2017 - 14:25

Well up the Coast is always the best route for scenery! I tried it from San Diego once in a 44, but the damn fog got in the way! Our backup plan was to just follow I-5, but I bailed so can't help you there,...though I have driven that route, its pretty dull.

Did ferry a 22 up the East coast once though, your side ain't bad, really flat though, nice flight,...no fog that time!
  • TomPPL likes this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#3 Sparker

Sparker

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 21:13

Direct, enter, enter

• AS350 pilot and RockinRob like this

#4 DizzyD

DizzyD

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 17:27

which airport in San Diego County are you departing?

#5 ShelbyFlyer

ShelbyFlyer

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 23:33

I'd say the coast is the most scenic. Maybe a tad inland through some of the metropolitan areas for sight seeing.  Be ware of the many restricted areas along the way. Pendalton just north of San Diego, Pt. Magu NAS area, Vandenberg AFB area. As well as the many stadium TFRs and Disneyland.  Also San Diego to San Francisco will put you through four Class B airports.  San Diego is the most complicated to me.  If your going soon, morning marine layer may prove a challenge to your plans.

If you find your self looking for lunch around Ventura County on a Wednesday, hit the Way Point Cafe at Camarillo for tri-tip. Try to get there by 11am.

If you choose to go the inland route, I recommend a stop at Harris Ranch in Colinga.  Small strip at the inn and restaurant of the cattle ranch.  Good beef and sides to go with. A bit more than $100 hamburger but if you bring a cooler you can take some nice cuts home with you.  Also no Jet A, so plan accordingly.

• TomPPL likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

PrecisionVRForumGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200Able_VRGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200MidwestHeliAcademy2016HeliHelmetsDevoreGeneral200Helmet FX General 200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200