California flying

Experienced pilot who has learned the value of other pilots experience. From the east coast but I will be flying a B407 soon from the San Diego area up to the SFO area (VFR only) and wondered if someone who has flown that route can offer suggestions for the best routes. Thx! I'll be happy to call you or provide a number for you to call.

• Like 1

Well up the Coast is always the best route for scenery! I tried it from San Diego once in a 44, but the damn fog got in the way! Our backup plan was to just follow I-5, but I bailed so can't help you there,...though I have driven that route, its pretty dull.

Did ferry a 22 up the East coast once though, your side ain't bad, really flat though, nice flight,...no fog that time!

• Like 1

I'd say the coast is the most scenic. Maybe a tad inland through some of the metropolitan areas for sight seeing. Be ware of the many restricted areas along the way. Pendalton just north of San Diego, Pt. Magu NAS area, Vandenberg AFB area. As well as the many stadium TFRs and Disneyland. Also San Diego to San Francisco will put you through four Class B airports. San Diego is the most complicated to me. If your going soon, morning marine layer may prove a challenge to your plans.

If you find your self looking for lunch around Ventura County on a Wednesday, hit the Way Point Cafe at Camarillo for tri-tip. Try to get there by 11am.

If you choose to go the inland route, I recommend a stop at Harris Ranch in Colinga. Small strip at the inn and restaurant of the cattle ranch. Good beef and sides to go with. A bit more than $100 hamburger but if you bring a cooler you can take some nice cuts home with you. Also no Jet A, so plan accordingly.

• Like 1