September 2017 WOFT Board

Also got told waivers are taking about 3-5 months now so that was depressing. Or at least for stones. Fortunately, I'm stationed fairly close to Rucker so getting to do most of it in person and not via email or other correspondence.

I can understand that for sure. It took me about 3 months of cardio appointments just for the information required for my ETP. There I was 26 years old with a heart monitor on, taking stress tests, getting MRI's, and what not. I like to brag about my stress test because I almost maxed out the machine before it got my heart rate high enough :P

But after I took all the tests I got my ETP in about 1 month.. hopefully yours is just as quick

I was reading the aeromed guidelines and it says I may only be an "information only" situation, which would mean I don't need a waiver. I did already receive a waiver to enlist from the Guard which is good, cleared the MEPS physical, etc.

On that note, how long between when Rucker gets the physical and they typically get stamped?

I don't anticipate the flight surgeon up here will be able to get them everything for the next few weeks, and my packet is due Sept 8th (though I guess a pending flight physical is sometimes ok)

Mike

Active and Guard(by state) run seperate boards ... Not sure about reserves, however. I just threw my info up since I should be on the September board (for Guard), and I'm otherwise homeless on this forum

Applied last year in May/July so here's to round two!

Age-26

GT-115

Sift-52

APFT-256 currently, shooting for 275 by submission deadline

Military 7 years AD SSG, AH64D/E Technical Inspector

Mil Ed WLC, ALC

CIV Ed 39 credit hours towards associates 3.86 GPA

Flight hours- does sim time count?!

Physical Stamped, no waivers (redoing physical though as the one from last submission expires in September)

LORs - Have the CO, BC, and my CW5 letter is In Progress

You guys and your GT scores make me paranoid.

Best of luck to everyone and I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you at Rucker. Let's hope the September board is as kind as the rest of these have been. I'm actually PCSing around the same time the results would come out so I'll be frequenting the forum so I can stay on top of the list while in transit.

Dude don't worry about the GT score it's the whole person concept. Have a great summary and strong LOR's from senior warrants you'll be fine. My GT was a 116 and I made it in your chances are very very good . I encourage the PT score to be 275+ honestly I believe that's a major sell point. My past Pt cards were no lower than 275 so I'm sure than helped me! Best of luck!

BDavidson,

6 LORs, I guarantee 3 of them won't even get a glance. Prioritize and pare them down to your 3 or 4 most formative.

Mike-

I more or less just got 6 knowing they might not all be looked at but if they see 3 incredible ones and see 3 more great ones that might just give me a little bit of a edge for the board.

Age - 26

GT - 117

SIFT - 63

APFT - 298

Military - 7.5 Years Active Duty, SSG, 35M (Human Intelligence/Interrogator)

Civ Ed - 48 S.H. towards B.S. Health & Sports Sciences/3.55 GPA

Flight Hours - None

Physical - Stamped/ETP Granted

LORS - CO, BC, CW5 (CAB's Command Chief Aviator)

Good Luck to Everyone!

• Like 1

- GT: 127
- SIFT: 53
- APFT: 243, working on 270+
- Military: SSG, 11 years TIS
- Civilian Education: working on AA in Science with a 3.7 GPA.
- Flight: +700 non-rated instructor
- Physical: Stamped/No Waivers
- LORS: CW5 waiting on BN and CO

Had to sit on my packet for almost a year due to Security clearance renewal. hopefully I get it in on time.

• Like 1

- GT: 127

- SIFT: 53

- APFT: 243, working on 270+

- Military: SSG, 11 years TIS

- Civilian Education: working on AA in Science with a 3.7 GPA.

- Flight: +700 non-rated instructor

- Physical: Stamped/No Waivers

- LORS: CW5 waiting on BN and CO

Had to sit on my packet for almost a year due to Security clearance renewal. hopefully I get it in on time.

WHY? I contacted them because my clearance was taking too long (was on hold 3 address changes in less than 2 years but since the investigation was "open" I was told not to worry abut it and submit as it was and I got accepted and I'm board ready.

Dude don't worry about the GT score it's the whole person concept. Have a great summary and strong LOR's from senior warrants you'll be fine. My GT was a 116 and I made it in your chances are very very good . I encourage the PT score to be 275+ honestly I believe that's a major sell point. My past Pt cards were no lower than 275 so I'm sure than helped me! Best of luck!

Yeah my issue is my run ATM. Getting back from a deployment where all you do is lift lift lift you start slacking on the run. I maxed push-ups though and was a few sit-ups away from max I'll get there by the updates deadline I'm running 3 miles every two-three days to bring my time down. In my humble opinion, my resume is very well written, much better than the last one I submitted. While writing it I was reading it as if it weren't me even I am like "there's no way both of these packets are the same person".

Luofynerd,

Run more 400s and 800s. 3 mile runs won't really have much of an impact on your 2 mile time. Of course running doesn't hurt, but I promise you more high intensity intervals will drastically improve your run time. Example -- Monday - 6 x 400m, run 1 walk 1. Keep them under 1:20. Tuesday rest, Wednesday 4 x 800m. Run 2 laps, walk 1. Keep them under 3 minutes. Thursday rest - Friday hit up your 3 mile. I used a plan like this when I was training for Ranger School and took my run time from 14:30 to 13:15 in about 4 weeks. Good luck!

BTW -- It's harder than it looks, just push lol.

• Like 2

Luofynerd,

Run more 400s and 800s. 3 mile runs won't really have much of an impact on your 2 mile time. Of course running doesn't hurt, but I promise you more high intensity intervals will drastically improve your run time. Example -- Monday - 6 x 400m, run 1 walk 1. Keep them under 1:20. Tuesday rest, Wednesday 4 x 800m. Run 2 laps, walk 1. Keep them under 3 minutes. Thursday rest - Friday hit up your 3 mile. I used a plan like this when I was training for Ranger School and took my run time from 14:30 to 13:15 in about 4 weeks. Good luck!

BTW -- It's harder than it looks, just push lol.

Thanks I'll give it a try. I did however blow my knee out about a year ago. I managed to milk it for quite a while without a profile as to not disrupt my flight physical. Thankfully some light leg exercises while deployed managed to strengthen it back up. My run time went from 12:50 to 15:30 during that time. So I have a bit of an excuse to why my run is so horrible right now. I have the drive to get there! I figure I'll be at least able to get 80-90% on it by the updates deadline. Don't want to be NC-NS again.
  • Like 1

First time applying as a civilian so we'll see how it goes!

ASVAB/GT: 94/127

SIFT: 56

APFT: 273

Edu: Assoc of science in Nursing; Bach of Science in nursing 3.3 GPA

Military: none

LOR: 1) CW5 AD aviator army 2) O5 RTD Navy pilot 3) O5 RTD Army pilot 4) O2 AD Army pilot 5) O3 AD Army 6) O3 RTD ARMY

Flight physical: stamped with no waivers

Flight hours: 60 hours fixed-wing

First time applying as a civilian so we'll see how it goes!

ASVAB/GT: 94/127

SIFT: 56

APFT: 273

Edu: Assoc of science in Nursing; Bach of Science in nursing 3.3 GPA

Military: none

LOR: 1) CW5 AD aviator army 2) O5 RTD Navy pilot 3) O5 RTD Army pilot 4) O2 AD Army pilot 5) O3 AD Army 6) O3 RTD ARMY

Flight physical: stamped with no waivers

Flight hours: 60 hours fixed-wing

As stated, multiple times throughout this forum, you have to many LORs.

Question on LORs, and this may be a bit different Guard side anyway (I'm aksing this same Q to some of the guys in the Guard unit to which I'm applying, but thought it may be of help to others here). When looking at LOR's, does the board give more weight to someone given their involvement in the Army, or proximity to the applicant? For example, one of my letters is from an USMC O4 aviator I know for reasons other than just tracking them down for an LOR (classmate), and another is from a CW2, again that I actually know outside of asking them for a letter. I imagine as someone reviewing LORs, that would potentially carry more weight than a CW5 who has no real ongoing relationship with the applicant. Just curious for purposes of selecting which LORs they want to use, should it be 3 random higher ranking army pilots who agreed to write them letters, or maybe one of the former with some lower ranking or sister service pilots who the person has an ongoing relationship with.

Thanks for any input

Mike

@Cubicle, Quality over quantity. As you probably saw in other threads, the WOs reviewing the packets have minimal amounts of time to read through each packet. With too many LORs they may not pick the best of the LORs to read. If they are all super strong then go ahead! I ended up using 4 in my packet.

@Mike, I would recommend trying to balance both. The LORs help the board know you as a person, determine if you are WO material, why they should trust you with a multi-million dollar piece of equipment, and what credentials does the person writing have to help determine that. So for my packet I ended up having LORs fron the president of my smaller christian college that I studied at and worked for the past 5 years, my boss who I have also worked under for the past 3 years, a retired CW3 who has known me for about 5 years, and an Active CW5 who I met for the LOR. Overall each LOR was strong and provided either a good look at my character from someone who knew me or a respected view as to why I would make a good aviator, and one had both. If you have too many military interview letters they wont be able to get as good a grasp of your character. On the flip side if you have none, the civilian letters may not highlight some characteristics the Army is looking for. To help counter that I did give the civilians who I asked a few pointers on which characteristics the Army wanted to know more about to help direct the LOR. Hope that helps! This is also mainly just the train of thought I had as I was deciding what LORs to keep in my packet and who to get one from as I applied as a civilian.

I imagine my most important LOR is from my former Platoon Commander. The guidelines are a little different for the National Guard board so I need to figure out exactly what I need -- they are directed at enlisted and commissioned soldiers applying internally. They are allowing me to apply as a "civilian," but obviously I have no current commanding officer, etc. I've been out of the USMC for 3 years.

Mike

Not sure that this is the appropriate place as I'm applying Guard, but I'm targeting the September board for my packet.

GT: 137 (correction for Army)

SIFT: 75

APFT: Haven't formally run one yet est. 250-280

Military: 6+ years USMC Reserves infantry, OEF

Flight hours: 1.7 (probably not worth mentioning)

Physical: In the process

Civilian education: BS Biology 3.2 GPA, 2/3s of the way through my J.D. 3.25 GPA

LORs: O-3(former Plt Commander), O-4 (USMC Pilot/ Law School classmate)

Mike

Hey Mike,

I'm pretty sure that the guard does their boards on the months that AD doesn't. So that would mean that your boards meets in August and October. I know this because my buddy is in the guard and just got selected by the board in June to fly UH-60s.

It was supposed to be August 20th, but they bumped it to September, which works for me since it's been a long process getting it all taken care of. I'm crossing my fingers I have no issue with the flight physical, it just went to Rucker today. All my lab work, EKG, eyes, etc are good... just concerned over a history of a back strain from when I was in the USMC, and a subsequent VA rating. I'm a bit worried about that getting kicked back and needing a waiver given the date approaching, and the fact that they only hold 2 boards a year, but the units flight PA told me he'd be surprised if I needed a waiver.

Mike