• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 08 June 2017 - 23:41

Took a peek at the POH in the ship the other day just to check my memory on something and was like, damn, they practically changed the whole procedure!  Well not really, but there was so much rewording that it looked different.

So I decided then to go online and check the rest of the book, and well,...they were busy last year! 

Now I know they they change things up from time to time (and my POH is from 2003, so there's been a lot) but it seems like last year they just went wild!   

What really grinds my gears though is that so many of these changes seem merely superficial.  Not really changing what you're doing, so much as changing how they say it,...kinda like a PC millennial getting a hold of an 80's movie like Blazing Saddles!  I mean, come on, do you really need to change, "clutch light,...out", to "clutch light,...extinguished"?!  <_<

They keep these kind of changes coming, they're gonna have to change the title to iPOH!  :rolleyes:

Edited by r22butters, 08 June 2017 - 23:43.

The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#2 WolftalonID

WolftalonID

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:Flying, helicopters, back country, archery elk hunting, wood working!
  • Company working for:Rocky Mountain Rotors - Chief Instructor/135 Pilot

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:57

One of the best rewrites was the use if carb heat and heat assist. It now actually flows in an order we would as a pilot. Sometimes they do a great job making things better.
Sometimes we think we know it all....only later to discover we only knew all we had learned. Never stop learning.

#3 pokey

pokey

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Interests:just about anything interesting
  • Company working for:my own

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:58

Let's get an itemized list of why maybe so many revisions/changes?

1) legality issues

2)

• r22butters likes this

#4 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:51

One of the best rewrites was the use if carb heat and heat assist. It now actually flows in an order we would as a pilot. Sometimes they do a great job making things better.

What do you think about the re-writes for power failure and engine fire?

,...'cause like the clutch light re-write, I like the old one better!
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

#5 WolftalonID

WolftalonID

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:Flying, helicopters, back country, archery elk hunting, wood working!
  • Company working for:Rocky Mountain Rotors - Chief Instructor/135 Pilot

Posted 09 June 2017 - 20:25

I feel since fewer people have wool blankets these days, and dirts hard to come by in LA in all that cement jungle...

Love the caveman approach to new EP's.
Sometimes we think we know it all....only later to discover we only knew all we had learned. Never stop learning.

#6 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 10 June 2017 - 18:02

Going through a few of these changes today, not the whole book just Limitations, EP's, Normal Procedures, and Safety Tips/Notices. So far in thoses sections alone I found 20 pages with revisions, not to mention about a dozen more pages revised in 2014 and 2015!

Damn Kurt, its like you just don't trust schools these days to train pilots properly!?

#7 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 08 July 2017 - 17:51

Sorry, but feel the need to vent some more, plus I'm really, really bored! Anyway,...

In addition to the superficial, asinine changes, like "master" to "battery", "blades" to "rotors" and moving the word "off" from the second word to the last in the sentence, I did happen to notice something actually significant!

In the Engine Fire During Start On Ground re-write they took out the words, " if engine fails to start"!

So, does this mean they expect the engine to always start now?

,...and another thing, do they really expect me to sit in a helicopter with the engine running "for a short time" after it just caught on fire?!

I mean, the engine is behind me, how am I supposed to know if the flames got sucked back in?! For all I know the damn thing is all about to explode, sindging my sorry ass to a crisp!

Sorry Kurt, I'll shut off the fuel, or shut the fuel valve off, or however you want to say it, but then I'm getting the f*ck out as quick as I can!

Eagerly awaiting next years re-writes!

#8 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 00:20

Sorry Kurt, I'll shut off the fuel, or shut the fuel valve off, or however you want to say it, but then I'm getting the f*ck out as quick as I can!

I think you mean:

"I'm getting the f*ck as quick as I can, extinguished!"

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

UNDVRFTForum200RPMN Mag BannerHillsboro2014_200VRFTRorumVOLO_VRFT200JerryTrimbleGuidanceVRFTForum200MidwestHeliAcademy2016702HeliVRFT200Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200