R22 POH,...The Never Ending Story!

Took a peek at the POH in the ship the other day just to check my memory on something and was like, damn, they practically changed the whole procedure! Well not really, but there was so much rewording that it looked different.

So I decided then to go online and check the rest of the book, and well,...they were busy last year!

Now I know they they change things up from time to time (and my POH is from 2003, so there's been a lot) but it seems like last year they just went wild!

What really grinds my gears though is that so many of these changes seem merely superficial. Not really changing what you're doing, so much as changing how they say it,...kinda like a PC millennial getting a hold of an 80's movie like Blazing Saddles! I mean, come on, do you really need to change, "clutch light,...out", to "clutch light,...extinguished"?! <_<

They keep these kind of changes coming, they're gonna have to change the title to iPOH! :rolleyes:

Edited by r22butters

One of the best rewrites was the use if carb heat and heat assist. It now actually flows in an order we would as a pilot. Sometimes they do a great job making things better.

One of the best rewrites was the use if carb heat and heat assist. It now actually flows in an order we would as a pilot. Sometimes they do a great job making things better.

What do you think about the re-writes for power failure and engine fire?

,...'cause like the clutch light re-write, I like the old one better!

I feel since fewer people have wool blankets these days, and dirts hard to come by in LA in all that cement jungle...

Love the caveman approach to new EP's.

Going through a few of these changes today, not the whole book just Limitations, EP's, Normal Procedures, and Safety Tips/Notices. So far in thoses sections alone I found 20 pages with revisions, not to mention about a dozen more pages revised in 2014 and 2015!

Damn Kurt, its like you just don't trust schools these days to train pilots properly!?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but feel the need to vent some more, plus I'm really, really bored! Anyway,...

In addition to the superficial, asinine changes, like "master" to "battery", "blades" to "rotors" and moving the word "off" from the second word to the last in the sentence, I did happen to notice something actually significant!

In the Engine Fire During Start On Ground re-write they took out the words, " if engine fails to start"!

So, does this mean they expect the engine to always start now?

,...and another thing, do they really expect me to sit in a helicopter with the engine running "for a short time" after it just caught on fire?!

I mean, the engine is behind me, how am I supposed to know if the flames got sucked back in?! For all I know the damn thing is all about to explode, sindging my sorry ass to a crisp!

Sorry Kurt, I'll shut off the fuel, or shut the fuel valve off, or however you want to say it, but then I'm getting the f**k out as quick as I can!

Eagerly awaiting next years re-writes!

• 2 weeks later...