• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KevinKrut321

KevinKrut321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:10

So after ten years in the Army I'm deciding to cut sling load!! My dilemma now is do I goto school for my rotary license or my maintenance management degree. A little back story about me, I'm a CH-47 mech in the Army with my A&P. I set my goals of getting the experience to attain my A&P and if things got bad I would leave the Military. Well things are getting bad so I'm leaving this August. I have started my degree with ERAU this year with the intent of being a manager somewhere. Well I'm at a crossroad now wanting to attain my rotary license with the GI bill and work for a small helicopter operation out west. I want to stay in a management role but, with my past experiences with being a leader in the Army I just want to be responsible for myself. 

My question for you guys, is the prospect of being a helicopter pilot / mechanic a good future plan? I plan on using my A&P over being a pilot and having the license to maybe pick up a few hours here and there if needed. My dream job would be to just hang out at a flight school some where and turn wrenches with the occasional use of my CFI. The only reason I want to do the pilot license is that it will be covered while using the GI bill. But if I have the opportunity to be pilot I would take it. The degree would be nice to have but, I just want to have a relaxing career where I can get paid to take a break for a little while!!!

#2 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 11 June 2017 - 18:33

I know more mechanics who did well in management than pilots.  Management isn't a relaxing career, those were markedly type A personalities who wanted TO DO stuff their way.

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#3 KevinKrut321

KevinKrut321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 19:16

I know more mechanics who did well in management than pilots.  Management isn't a relaxing career, those were markedly type A personalities who wanted TO DO stuff their way.

See thats my dilemma I'm not a type A type person and have had the pleasure of working for many of them. Thats why I would always look back and say I don't wan to be a boss like that. 

#4 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 11 June 2017 - 20:53

,...I just want to have a relaxing career where I can get paid to take a break for a little while!!!

That's what I was thinking when I wanted to be a tour pilot! Ha, Ha, Ha!
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#5 Dnr032

Dnr032

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Road cycling

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:40

...... I just want to have a relaxing career where I can get paid to take a break for a little while!!!

I hate to break the news to you, but there is no such job in the civilian world.  If this is the main reason you are leaving the military then you will be vastly disappointed.  All jobs are stressful. Some more than others.  That is why it is called a JOB.  Remember WORK is a 4 letter word.  I think it may be difficult to find a job turning wrenches at a 'relaxing pace... getting paid...while taking a break.'  Unlike the military, helicopters in the civilian world are used to make money. If the aircraft is down for maintenance, then it is not making money.

Your best option may be looking for a job at a local or State law enforcement agency aviation unit. Unfortunately you don't have any experience working on civilian aircraft and most agencies will require some experience turning wrenches on their model aircraft.

All jobs are what you make of them.  Only you can control your attitude. 

Thank you for your service and good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016PrecisionVRForumHome200Genesys VR Forum 200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200NFCVRForum200HomeHeliHelmets-VR HomeDevoreHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200Helmet FX Home 200Able_VRHOme200