• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 XIIGage

XIIGage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 21:22

Hey everyone, been browsing for a while but rather new still. I turned 30 in April and after being in a pretty unfulfilling place in life and wanting to do something meaningful I decided to push myself to become an Army Aviator. I was interested in joining the military when I was younger but was talked out of it.

So my journey started on May 1st. My brother is a recruiter and is helping me along in the process. I am currently 40 pounds overweight but have lost 20 since May 1st and will push to lose the rest over the next few months.

My goal is to put in a packet by the end of the year and I have started studying different sources of information as well. I have a SIFT study guide, the Army fundamentals of flight book, and miscellaneous practice tests. 

Are there any other books or sources I should study? Is there any advice that anyone has for me? As far as civilian LORs is there anything I should shoot for in particular? I am trying to get in contact with an active duty army pilot now to see if I can get a CW3-5 LOR.

I am really excited to do this and feel really good about doing it!

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ElJay

ElJay

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 23:07

Reading the material can get pretty dry, so to get it to click, I would watch YouTube videos on aerodynamics of flight.

Study up on your high school level math, because that's mainly what the asvab and sift covers. I know it had been forever since seeing that for me.

Start networking for those LoRs. If you don't know aviators, look up bases you may be close to. A resource that really helped me was an air ems base. Almost all ems helo pilots are former military or current guard.

#3 Gideon

Gideon

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:01

The FAA rotary wing handbook is quite dry but provides a lot of great information. And Youtube channel called Smarter Everyday also did a series on helicopters that helps visualize some of the concepts if you are struggling to understand them like I did.

Hurry up and wait is the name of the game. My main piece of advice is be patient. It took me about a year to finish my packet varying parts of my packet just didnt line up with deadlines like it could have and got stuck waiting 6 months to ship out to basic. I am still excited and grateful to be selected. Just have to work on patience when I get frustrated :P

Are you located near any Army bases? I got lucky and managed to meet a CW3 at my job who got me in contact with a CW5. There are plenty of threads that give advice on cold calling CABs to set up interviews with aviators. But be willing to travel to them if you are not close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Able_VRHOme200MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200Genesys VR Forum 200HeliHelmets-VR HomeNFCVRForum200HomeColoradoHeliOpsHome200DevoreHome200Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016Helmet FX Home 200