VA Approved School with 3rd Class Requirement

Hey guys,

I'm completing my time with the Air Force later this year and intended on using my GI-Bill to go to a school for PPL-CFII+. Once I read into it a bit I found out all the schools I was interested in (and likely all the others that are VA approved) require a second class cert to begin. I was born with amblyopia, correctable to 20/25. Not a big deal it seems, many pilots fly for a living with way worse. I can get my first/second class by taking a flight medical exam for a SODA. But of course I can't do that without my PPL in the first place. Back to square one. I figure I'm going to be stuck fronting the bill for my PPL so I can get medically qualified to attend school. Anyone else seen this situation? Know of a VA approved school that I only need my third class for?

• 1 month later...

Who told you that you need to have your PPL before you can get your medical??? Quite the contrary, as a matter of fact. You can't get your PPL unless you already have a medical certificate. Look up an AME in your area, schedule the appointment, complete the online FAA application (required to complete the medical exam) and make it happen.