Luofynerd

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Company working for:U.S. ARMY- AH-64D/E Technical Inspector

Posted 19 June 2017 - 23:54

Okay so long story short.
I had PRK in 2015 to apply for warrant. Had a physical in 2016, vision was fine. 20/16 near and far. Cycloplegix refraction perfect. Physical stamped approved. So my physical is expiring soon and I go get my eye exam and he is telling me my left eye has quite a bit of astigmatism. The numbers on my chart are OD Sphere +125 cylinder -0.75 axis 005 and OS Sphere +150 cylinder -1.75 axis 012. I'm freaking out. Is it possible this is wrong? Because I couldn't tell a difference in a few of the numbers when he says 1 or 2 so I just said whichever I thought looked clearest. If it is correct is that something waiverable? My visual acquity says 20/20. I don't get how that can be correct when I literally passed my last physical with flying colors. I'm like 100% ready to submit I just wanted to update my physical since it expires in September. I'm not an eye doctor so idk what the standards mean as far as what diopter means etc. I haven't turned the physical portion into the flight surgeon yet. I guess my main questions would be do they give ETPs or waivers for something like that? Should I try getting the cycloplegic refraction done again to see if there are inconsistencies? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 espo180

espo180

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 17:11

Go get a 2nd and 3rd doctor opinion. I consulted 3 eye surgeons for my PRK and one of them (who is very popular around me) gave me measurements I knew couldn't be right and also he told me something medically false. Other two doctors were spot on. I would get second opinions.
  • Luofynerd likes this

#3 Luofynerd

Luofynerd

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Company working for:U.S. ARMY- AH-64D/E Technical Inspector

Posted 11 July 2017 - 23:27

Go get a 2nd and 3rd doctor opinion. I consulted 3 eye surgeons for my PRK and one of them (who is very popular around me) gave me measurements I knew couldn't be right and also he told me something medically false. Other two doctors were spot on. I would get second opinions.

So I got a second opinion and they said I have absolutely no astigmatism. Said that the computer gives them a guesstimate of what you're at and they usually work from there and that when I get my next one to request they start at zero prescription. 20/15 distant and near, with 20/20 on low contrast sensitivity. I walked out of that ophthalmology clinic like I had just beaten cancer or something.
  • wheelsup likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

NFCVRForum200HomeMidwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016DevoreHome200Able_VRHOme200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200Genesys VR Forum 200HeliHelmets-VR HomeHelmet FX Home 200