Hey guys,

Just wondering if a lot of civilian flight time be beneficial or a hinderance? Ive been hearing both. Like you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I am 28 about to be 29 next week and I am an ATP multi engine rated pilot for the airlines with 5000 hours total time; 4000 of that is Jet time. My warrant officer strength manager says that, it can be held against me because now I really need to know my stuff (which isn't a problem except I'm a noob with rotors). Just wanted your inputs.

• Like 1

As I'm sure you know, flying is different for everyone. There's not really going to be a clear cut answer to your question, so what you've been hearing is true. Some people with prior aviation experience have little to no issue with the Army, others have a lot. It'll be a unique experience. You will definitely have a leg up on the academics side though, compared to those with no prior aviation experience.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to switch from the airlines, especially with your hour level?

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Just wondering if a lot of civilian flight time be beneficial or a hinderance? Ive been hearing both. Like you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I am 28 about to be 29 next week and I am an ATP multi engine rated pilot for the airlines with 5000 hours total time; 4000 of that is Jet time. My warrant officer strength manager says that, it can be held against me because now I really need to know my stuff (which isn't a problem except I'm a noob with rotors). Just wanted your inputs.

It's just going to be a benefit as long as you can accept a new way to do some things, especially in flight school. I had a few ATPs in my class and they were awesome, did awesome and were a great asset for everyone. You'll have a lot of fun.

As I'm sure you know, flying is different for everyone. There's not really going to be a clear cut answer to your question, so what you've been hearing is true. Some people with prior aviation experience have little to no issue with the Army, others have a lot. It'll be a unique experience. You will definitely have a leg up on the academics side though, compared to those with no prior aviation experience.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to switch from the airlines, especially with your hour level?

I've always wanted to do military and civilian flying. I finally got to a company that I want to stay with for the long run, and while I'm still young I can accomplish this goal of flying military helicopters. So I'm more so looking at reserve and guard units. Ideally around the NY area.

A long, long time ago (Vietnam era) one of my classmates was an airplane ATP and working professional pilot when he signed the contract. Was I you, I would pursue my dreams. Advice here is pretty sound but I would want to hear it from those responsible for the decision, up or down.

They used to say "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way. Do it the Army way."

P.S. Helicopters are much more fun than airplanes. I loved the service (camaraderie, professionalism) and hated the Army-make you dress funny and boss you around a lot.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

Noted. Not trying to have a pissing contest. Just trying to get info. My experience doesn't translate to rotorcraft.

No worries man! Flying in the Army is freaking easy. Cake walk. The hardest part is putting up with the army'isms ( especially aviation related, yes the army kills the fun out of flying) and the nonsense bs/daily grind of flight school. It is a marathon that will beat you down slowly. Overall your knowledge and experience will be beneficial as long as you stay humble and not let the BS get to you. You'll know what I mean when you start training.

I have nowhere near as much flight time as you, and I can't truly speak for how it will affect your ability to learn how to fly helicopters the Army way as I haven't flown for the Army, yet...

With that said, for your application, in my humble opinion it's all about how you word it; when I wrote of my aviation experience within my resume I framed it in the context of aviation safety, ability to learn to fly more than one airframe, and whatever else I could think of to frame any technical expertise that will cross over and be a benefit to the Army... For example, think of how many hours you've spent doing "Aeronautical Decision Making," or how many air frames you've qualified to fly on. You've spent so many hours safely flying aircraft as the pilot in command... Frame it in a way that makes it sound like all your current aviation expertise will cross over and benefit the Army.

In my opinion, your aviation experience is a huge boon and will do nothing but help your application if you speak of it the right way.

• Like 1

I see. Thanks guys for all the help. I don't know if you guys have heard anything about the civilian world but if you have too much flight time, you are deemed "untrainable." I guess its because companies think you are set in your ways. That why I had mentioned the amount of time I have. I know a lot of guys who have 10k+ hours but cannot land a job at a legacy airline, i.e. Delta, United, AA... Thence the "Cant teach and old dog new tricks." Hopefully one day we can all meet and grab a beer, and talk shop.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Your experience will be an asset to any unit you're assigned to. There are several airline pilots now wearing Army Aviator wings. You've already experienced the pain of systems classes, CRM, and 121 line checks. Flight school will be a non event for you. As long as your hours and ratings aren't the first thing out of your mouth during conversation you'll thoroughly enjoy learning how to fly Army helicopters. If you're in NY hit me up if you have more questions or concerns.

Mike-

• Like 1

Hopefully you can find a unit that will get you a pilot slot right away. When I was looking AD was the only street to seat option.

Whatever you do, don't go active duty. There's a reason so many Army RW pilots are getting out and going to the regionals.

Hopefully you can find a unit that will get you a pilot slot right away. When I was looking AD was the only street to seat option.

Whatever you do, don't go active duty. There's a reason so many Army RW pilots are getting out and going to the regionals.

I'm relatively new to the aviation world, but not sure I entirely agree with you. I'm loving life so far.

Add to that the only folks I've seen leaving the Army, are over 20 years and retiring, and one who had a permanent down slip for medical reasons.

• Like 1