Wanted to get some information on this PHPA deal at Rucker and wanted to know what licenses you can get after you graduate flight school. I keep hearing mixed things can anyone bring clarity to this question? Looking to fly full time as a civilian (I'm in the NG) so any know how would do me some good.

Thanks! B)

Wanted to get some information on this PHPA deal at Rucker and wanted to know what licenses you can get after you graduate flight school. I keep hearing mixed things can anyone bring clarity to this question? Looking to fly full time as a civilian (I'm in the NG) so any know how would do me some good.

Thanks! B)

PHPA will facilitate your commerical pilot license with instrument rating. If you fly hawks or chinooks you will have that civilian type rating also added on. Its a very simple process and you would be silly not to pay the money for it while you are there. They will give you instructions to get you all set up FAA wise before completing the process on the day of graduation.

Edit:

Go here for more info

http://www.autorotate.org/FAATestCenter/MilitaryCompetencyClassExam.aspx

• Like 1

Like stocktrader said, its very easy and well worth it.

You have to take the test and then once you graduate go there immediately to fill out the paperwork with the guy that comes down to sign you off.

You get a commercial/instrument rating and a type rating if you flew 60s 47s. Not sure about the 72s.

Anyway, all that cost 145$ for the test and then 80$ to get signed off.

Its very convenient that the guy comes to the PHPA in Daleville to do it.

• Like 2

That $80.00 sign off is such a f*cking rip off. I did it for free through a FSDO, it was a pain to get an appointment but I have no regrets.

You are also familiar with IACRA and went to a decent FSDO. Most who have no experience with the FAA say they'll do it at their duty station and then it never happens, either because the FSDO is unfamiliar, too far away, life gets in the way, etc. $80 is literally nothing compared to the $60,000+ those pieces of paper are worth. Hell all I had to add was IFR and S-70 type and I still paid the $80. Time is money. Plus the dude was fun to chat to while he processed my paperwork.

• Like 2

You are also familiar with IACRA and went to a decent FSDO. Most who have no experience with the FAA say they'll do it at their duty station and then it never happens, either because the FSDO is unfamiliar, too far away, life gets in the way, etc. $80 is literally nothing compared to the $60,000+ those pieces of paper are worth. Hell all I had to add was IFR and S-70 type and I still paid the $80. Time is money. Plus the dude was fun to chat to while he processed my paperwork.

I was just about to sarcastically comment, "You didn't have to pay any money for yours did you Lindsey?"

Awesome information from everyone for sure! The money definitely isn't the issue its more of a I want those licenses and see the prices flight schools charge for them are insane. I'm going to graduate flying 64's for the guard. Like I said earlier just looking to phase out of this medical life and fly for the long haul. Also, you all said instrument and commercial rating does this translate over to fixed wing? I have over 50 hours of fixed time as well. So getting my PPL is also another thing I want on my list of certificates? New to this entire warrant world beyond excited I found this forum thanks all!

PHPA will facilitate your commerical pilot license with instrument rating. If you fly hawks or chinooks you will have that civilian type rating also added on. Its a very simple process and you would be silly not to pay the money for it while you are there. They will give you instructions to get you all set up FAA wise before completing the process on the day of graduation.

Edit:

Go here for more info

http://www.autorotate.org/FAATestCenter/MilitaryCompetencyClassExam.aspx

Just read all the information wow! That's a great deal like I've said flight schools here in AZ for instrument and CPL certs will cost you easily 25-35K

Awesome information from everyone for sure! The money definitely isn't the issue its more of a I want those licenses and see the prices flight schools charge for them are insane. I'm going to graduate flying 64's for the guard. Like I said earlier just looking to phase out of this medical life and fly for the long haul. Also, you all said instrument and commercial rating does this translate over to fixed wing? I have over 50 hours of fixed time as well. So getting my PPL is also another thing I want on my list of certificates? New to this entire warrant world beyond excited I found this forum thanks all!

Fixed wing ratings are separate; they do not translate.

• Like 1

That being said, if you have those rotary-wing ratings, all you need for fixed-wing is the add-ons which requires fewer hours. Consult your local FAR/AIM part 61.

• Like 1

Will do I'll check out the regs on all of this right now Happy 4th to everyone and thanks for the information. Trying to get these ducks lined up in a row, but for sure taking it all one day at a time. Just don't want to exhaust my GI Bill in some flight school that may give me some run around such as ATP Flight school and Transpac Aviation. With my personal flying and flight school I'll be somewhere around 400hours at the end of WOFT. Lastly Commercial multi engine isn't available at the PHPA? I may have to call these people.

Check out the prices it's pretty steep!

https://transpacacademy.com/programs/programs_va.php

What state are you flying for? AZ or Utah?

There is no such thing as a multi-engine rating for helicopters. A helicopter is a helicopter. The only exception is that helos over 12,500lbs require a type rating (which you get for 60s and 47s).

If you are looking to fly airplanes eventually, most of the Regional Airlines are offering Military Helo to Airline Pilot transitions (nicknamed "RTP"). There are some requirements, but I would look at those before using your GI Bill for anything aviation-related. Envoy, PSA, Piedmont, TSA, and GoJet (maybe a couple others) offer it.

You have a point there. It took me a year trying three different FSDOs and a friend who knew a guy in order to get an appointment and get my paperwork processed. It really should't be that hard but it is. Still, I do not regret skipping out on the $80.00. It's the principle of the thing, LoL!

Anyways, I've been keeping my eyes on all the regional programs popping up. If I can find one that will base me out of Seattle then I'll consider applying. Otherwise, no thanks. I'd really like to stay in the rotary world, but I also really want to move back to WA. Tough decisions!!

• Like 1

If you are looking to fly airplanes eventually, most of the Regional Airlines are offering Military Helo to Airline Pilot transitions (nicknamed "RTP"). There are some requirements, but I would look at those before using your GI Bill for anything aviation-related. Envoy, PSA, Piedmont, TSA, and GoJet (maybe a couple others) offer it.

I've heard about those programs. The thing is most of them want to use some of your GI Bill for the training. I'm in luck all the warrants I know own planes and they are CFI so I'll get some hours with these guys. So many opportunities just gotta make a decision. First thing is first though "Graduating Flight School"

Anyways, I've been keeping my eyes on all the regional programs popping up. If I can find one that will base me out of Seattle then I'll consider applying. Otherwise, no thanks. I'd really like to stay in the rotary world, but I also really want to move back to WA. Tough decisions!!

Yeah, your only real options for that are Skywest and Horizon. There's...a lot of discontent in the Horizon ranks, to put it lightly and their current situation is not looking good. Cancelling dozens of flights a day and hundreds a month due to lack of pilots, yet their most recent pay package still doesn't put them in the top 50% of the new pay packages other regionals are offering. Plus rumor of them not honoring certain agreed-upon aspects of it. Skywest also recently came out with a pay package that some of their pilots are calling "embarrassing" and is locked in for the next 5 years, precisely during the time when all the other regionals will be fighting over new pilots and thus raising pay to entice them. The ironic thing is Skywest used to have the happiest pilots from what I can gather. Things are changing.

Spot on. Lots of my friends are Horizon or SkyWest pilots. A few of them just got hired to Alaska but are waiting on class dates. It's one of the main reasons I want to stay away from the airlines. I watched these guys get hired back in 2006/7 and then almost immediately get furloughed. Most of them were CFIs when I started flying back in 2005 and they are just now making it to a major airline.

That said, I'm very envious of the fact that they've been able to remain in Washington. To be completely honest I've had thoughts of leaving professional flying entirely and using my GI bill to do something else. That's coming from a guy who's been obsessed with flying since I was a kid and absolutely loves it when I'm in the cockpit. We'll see what happens in the next couple months.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 2

You have a point there. It took me a year trying three different FSDOs and a friend who knew a guy in order to get an appointment and get my paperwork processed. It really should't be that hard but it is. Still, I do not regret skipping out on the $80.00. It's the principle of the thing, LoL!

Go assess for MH-47s, you can stay at Ft Lewis long enough to pay your house off.

• Like 1

That $80.00 sign off is such a f*cking rip off. I did it for free through a FSDO, it was a pain to get an appointment but I have no regrets.

FSDOs are an option, but keep in mind, for as many different FSDOs that exist, so to do that many different interpretations of the FARs. Your FAA certificates granted for military competency are easy at FSDOs near Rucker that speak "Army". Go to one in another state and you may be told you don't qualify. It very subjective based on the inspector. Also, if you schedule an appointment at a FSDO, you volunteer yourself for an impromptu oral by the examiner prior to granting you the certificate. I took my certificates into the Renton, WA FSDO from the fixed wing course and ended up giving a POI to the examiner for the whole AQC before he would accept my 8710.

I also took my IPC certificate to one FSDO that would only give my a rotorcraft CFI, I took it to another that gave me a rotorcraft CFII based on the course description. Another 5K saved. Your mileage may vary. Spend the $80...

Mike-

• Like 5

When I turned in my mil equivalency last year (Com RW & CFII), the Las Vegas FSDO RW inspector essentially offered me a job as his counterpart (declined as I knew I was relocating in the near term).

Life is like a box of chocolates...

• Like 1