WOCDANIELS23

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Helicopters, Fixed wing, Army Warrant, 153A, AH64-D
  • Company working for:Banner University, AZNG

Posted 03 July 2017 - 20:26

Wanted to get some information on this PHPA deal at Rucker and wanted to know what licenses you can get after you graduate flight school. I keep hearing mixed things can anyone bring clarity to this question? Looking to fly full time as a civilian (I'm in the NG) so any know how would do me some good.

Thanks! B)

#2 StockTrader

StockTrader

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Baseball, Helicopters
  • Company working for:CW2, US Army, 64 Driver

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:58

Wanted to get some information on this PHPA deal at Rucker and wanted to know what licenses you can get after you graduate flight school. I keep hearing mixed things can anyone bring clarity to this question? Looking to fly full time as a civilian (I'm in the NG) so any know how would do me some good.

Thanks! B)

PHPA will facilitate your commerical pilot license with instrument rating. If you fly hawks or chinooks you will have that civilian type rating also added on. Its a very simple process and you would be silly not to pay the money for it while you are there. They will give you instructions to get you all set up FAA wise before completing the process on the day of graduation.

Edit:

Go here for more info

http://www.autorotat...yClassExam.aspx
  • WOCDANIELS23 likes this

#3 flanker

flanker

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:40

Like stocktrader said, its very easy and well worth it.

You have to take the test and then once you graduate go there immediately to fill out the paperwork with the guy that comes down to sign you off. 

You get a commercial/instrument rating and a type rating if you flew 60s 47s. Not sure about the 72s.

Anyway, all that cost 145$ for the test and then 80$ to get signed off. 

Its very convenient that the guy comes to the PHPA in Daleville to do it. 

• Dmurray and WOCDANIELS23 like this

#4 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 04 July 2017 - 14:00

I would go further to say you are a f*cking moron not to do it.
  • Wally, I3uller, Creep0321 and 4 others like this

#5 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 04 July 2017 - 14:10

What Lindsey said.

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#6 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 14:29

That $80.00 sign off is such a f*cking rip off.  I did it for free through a FSDO, it was a pain to get an appointment but I have no regrets.

• METT-TC likes this

#7 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 15:21

My time, during that hectic period of my life, was worth the 80$.
  • Lindsey likes this

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#8 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 16:30

That $80.00 sign off is such a f*cking rip off.  I did it for free through a FSDO, it was a pain to get an appointment but I have no regrets.

You are also familiar with IACRA and went to a decent FSDO. Most who have no experience with the FAA say they'll do it at their duty station and then it never happens, either because the FSDO is unfamiliar, too far away, life gets in the way, etc. $80 is literally nothing compared to the $60,000+ those pieces of paper are worth. Hell all I had to add was IFR and S-70 type and I still paid the $80. Time is money. Plus the dude was fun to chat to while he processed my paperwork.
  • Creep0321 and dirtyfoot like this

#9 wheelsup

wheelsup

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 16:33

You are also familiar with IACRA and went to a decent FSDO. Most who have no experience with the FAA say they'll do it at their duty station and then it never happens, either because the FSDO is unfamiliar, too far away, life gets in the way, etc. $80 is literally nothing compared to the $60,000+ those pieces of paper are worth. Hell all I had to add was IFR and S-70 type and I still paid the $80. Time is money. Plus the dude was fun to chat to while he processed my paperwork.

I was just about to sarcastically comment, "You didn't have to pay any money for yours did you Lindsey?"

#10 WOCDANIELS23

WOCDANIELS23

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 18:52

Awesome information from everyone for sure! The money definitely isn't the issue its more of a I want those licenses and see the prices flight schools charge for them are insane. I'm going to graduate flying 64's for the guard. Like I said earlier just looking to phase out of this medical life and fly for the long haul. Also, you all said instrument and commercial rating does this translate over to fixed wing? I have over 50 hours of fixed time as well. So getting my PPL is also another thing I want on my list of certificates? New to this entire warrant world beyond excited I found this forum thanks all!

#11 WOCDANIELS23

WOCDANIELS23

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 18:56

PHPA will facilitate your commerical pilot license with instrument rating. If you fly hawks or chinooks you will have that civilian type rating also added on. Its a very simple process and you would be silly not to pay the money for it while you are there. They will give you instructions to get you all set up FAA wise before completing the process on the day of graduation.

Edit:

Go here for more info

http://www.autorotat...yClassExam.aspx

Just read all the information wow! That's a great deal like I've said flight schools here in AZ for instrument and CPL certs will cost you easily 25-35K

#12 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 19:04

Awesome information from everyone for sure! The money definitely isn't the issue its more of a I want those licenses and see the prices flight schools charge for them are insane. I'm going to graduate flying 64's for the guard. Like I said earlier just looking to phase out of this medical life and fly for the long haul. Also, you all said instrument and commercial rating does this translate over to fixed wing? I have over 50 hours of fixed time as well. So getting my PPL is also another thing I want on my list of certificates? New to this entire warrant world beyond excited I found this forum thanks all!

Fixed wing ratings are separate; they do not translate.

#13 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 19:05

That being said, if you have those rotary-wing ratings, all you need for fixed-wing is the add-ons which requires fewer hours. Consult your local FAR/AIM part 61.

#14 WOCDANIELS23

WOCDANIELS23

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 19:18

Will do I'll check out the regs on all of this right now Happy 4th to everyone and thanks for the information. Trying to get these ducks lined up in a row, but for sure taking it all one day at a time. Just don't want to exhaust my GI Bill in some flight school that may give me some run around such as ATP Flight school and Transpac Aviation. With my personal flying and flight school I'll be somewhere around 400hours at the end of WOFT. Lastly Commercial multi engine isn't available at the PHPA? I may have to call these people.

Check out the prices it's  pretty steep!

https://transpacacad...programs_va.php

#15 StockTrader

StockTrader

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Baseball, Helicopters
  • Company working for:CW2, US Army, 64 Driver

Posted 04 July 2017 - 20:03

What state are you flying for? AZ or Utah?

#16 WOCDANIELS23

WOCDANIELS23

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 21:10

What state are you flying for? AZ or Utah?

PHX, AZ we got the 64s back or most of them from what I've heard. It was in my Par and line

#17 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 20:35

There is no such thing as a multi-engine rating for helicopters. A helicopter is a helicopter. The only exception is that helos over 12,500lbs require a type rating (which you get for 60s and 47s).

#18 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 20:41

If you are looking to fly airplanes eventually, most of the Regional Airlines are offering Military Helo to Airline Pilot transitions (nicknamed "RTP"). There are some requirements, but I would look at those before using your GI Bill for anything aviation-related. Envoy, PSA, Piedmont, TSA, and GoJet (maybe a couple others) offer it.

#19 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 21:26

You have a point there.  It took me a year trying three different FSDOs and a friend who knew a guy in order to get an appointment and get my paperwork processed.  It really should't be that hard but it is.  Still, I do not regret skipping out on the $80.00.  It's the principle of the thing, LoL!

Anyways, I've been keeping my eyes on all the regional programs popping up.  If I can find one that will base me out of Seattle then I'll consider applying.  Otherwise, no thanks.  I'd really like to stay in the rotary world, but I also really want to move back to WA.  Tough decisions!!

#20 WOCDANIELS23

WOCDANIELS23

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 22:35

If you are looking to fly airplanes eventually, most of the Regional Airlines are offering Military Helo to Airline Pilot transitions (nicknamed "RTP"). There are some requirements, but I would look at those before using your GI Bill for anything aviation-related. Envoy, PSA, Piedmont, TSA, and GoJet (maybe a couple others) offer it.

I've heard about those programs. The thing is most of them want to use some of your GI Bill for the training. I'm in luck all the warrants I know own planes and they are CFI so I'll get some hours with these guys. So many opportunities just gotta make a decision. First thing is first though "Graduating Flight School"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016PrecisionVRForumHome200NFCVRForum200HomeAble_VRHOme200Helmet FX Home 200DevoreHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeColoradoHeliOpsHome200Genesys VR Forum 200