TigerTugsVRForumGen468Helicopter AcademyFrasca VRForum468VOLO_VRGeneral468
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Will eVTOL take over the commercial small-helicopter market?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 TomPPL

TomPPL

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Company working for:My Own

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:48

I've just read this, hot off the press:

http://newatlas.com/...xi-dubai/51492/

#22 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:01

Wait until you see the first lot of Yoo-Choob videos of drunks and teenagers filming themselves standing on the skids as it buzzes through the skies of Dubai. 

Might need some doors. And a SERIOUS air-con system, which just might reduce the battery life and add some weight.

• TomPPL likes this

#23 TomPPL

TomPPL

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:29

Heres another one testing out for the European market - this one also shows a manned flight test:

http://newatlas.com/...ying-taxi/51539

• voyagerB likes this

#24 voyagerB

voyagerB

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:To VTOL or not to VTOL
  • Company working for:independent consultant in mobility issues

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:44

That's the Volocopter recipe (German). The Passenger Drone (that's what it's called) is Swiss engineered and made, Peter Delco (interesting name) being its founder.

170928-passenger2-630x378.jpg

• TomPPL likes this

#25 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, business, geopolitics, rotorcraft technology, investing, real estate, business opportunities
  • Company working for:RSI

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:57

I think a lot of pro electric aircraft people just don't understand chemistry. If batteries were better than pistons/turbines we'd have seen combustion engines scrapped a long time ago. Don't believe any of the hype about batteries becoming more efficient, they increase in energy density about 1%/yr. So at that rate we could see batteries become competitive with fossil fuels around 2090, unless someone invents a more efficient battery. 

#26 voyagerB

voyagerB

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:15

I think a lot of pro electric aircraft people just don't understand chemistry. If batteries were better than pistons/turbines we'd have seen combustion engines scrapped a long time ago. Don't believe any of the hype about batteries becoming more efficient, they increase in energy density about 1%/yr. So at that rate we could see batteries become competitive with fossil fuels around 2090, unless someone invents a more efficient battery. 

I tend to agree with you. The most astonishing example of winning over investors with a flawed idea (according to experts) is Lilium that received a $90 million infuse recently. See my earlier posting. 

#27 voyagerB

voyagerB

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:44

Curious what the solid state battery technology might bring in 3-4 years...

https://cleantechnic...-cell-vehicles/

#28 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, business, geopolitics, rotorcraft technology, investing, real estate, business opportunities

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:29

I'm paying close attention to the development of solid state, quite amazing that the inventor is 94 years old!

#29 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 16:31

I think there is room for both just like for dinner you might have chicken, fish or meat.  Or tofu, lol.   There is a seat for every stool and eVTOL or Tesla aren't going to take over the market just good conversation.   I watched the Surefly get light on it's skids in a test flight the other day in Nevada.  I've sat in the Swiss/German drone that flew last year.    These won't take over the duty your helicopter was designed for but if the Marines have a drone Huey and just need to ship a small part over the ridge why not send this drone type thing to battle?

• TomPPL likes this

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#30 voyagerB

voyagerB

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 15:22

I think there is room for both just like for dinner you might have chicken, fish or meat.  Or tofu, lol.   There is a seat for every stool and eVTOL or Tesla aren't going to take over the market just good conversation.   I watched the Surefly get light on it's skids in a test flight the other day in Nevada.  I've sat in the Swiss/German drone that flew last year.    These won't take over the duty your helicopter was designed for but if the Marines have a drone Huey and just need to ship a small part over the ridge why not send this drone type thing to battle?

Everything with eVTOLs stands or falls with the battery technology. If it's substantially better than today in let's say 3-4 years, I see eVTOLs take off so to speak big time. For now, range shortage can be compensated for by using hybrid drive, so, have a potent ICE onboard that can either provide necessary boost during takeoff, extend range and/or help to recharge the batteries. There might even be a way to combine a lightweight electric car and an eVTOL.

How%2Bisetta%2B%2527works%2527%2B%25284%

• chris pochari likes this

#31 mechanic

mechanic

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle riding
    Helicopters
    computers
    and moe money

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:49

https://www.youtube....h?v=_tFG-uk3WcE

7 versions being tested. I like number 7.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZI5rH8bS5cE

https://www.youtube....h?v=SyRpZILjT2w

• TomPPL and voyagerB like this

#32 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 21:22

another issue is engine failure, helicopters can autorotate, quadcopters cannot autorotate, if one engine fails, it will fall out of the sky. They would need to be equipped with a parachutes Cirrus style, otherwise it would be too risky. Even considering that electric engines are far more reliable, something can always go wrong. 

#33 voyagerB

voyagerB

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:18

another issue is engine failure, helicopters can autorotate, quadcopters cannot autorotate, if one engine fails, it will fall out of the sky. They would need to be equipped with a parachutes Cirrus style, otherwise it would be too risky. Even considering that electric engines are far more reliable, something can always go wrong. 

It's why some seek a combination of rotorcraft and small aircraft. Throw the car into the equation, and you get something like this:

autocar%2B%25281%2529.jpg

#34 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:03

It's why some seek a combination of rotorcraft and small aircraft. Throw the car into the equation, and you get something like this:

autocar%2B%25281%2529.jpg

The helicopter industry is divided on the future of EVTOL 2018-industry-split-on-air-taxi-power my stance is similar to the opinion that Sikorsky has, autonomous but conventional rotorcraft are the most promising. Since 80% of helicopter accidents are caused by operation, the accident rate could possibly be reduced by at least 80%. EVTOL will probably find a niche, like short distance building-building shuttle. Conventional rotorcraft aren't going away anytime soon, but pilots, like truck drivers and real estate agents, are going way eventually. 

due to peak oil demand and EVs the future the price of oil could be a lot lower than it currently is, although not good for offshore it could make helicopters more attractive for commuting, charter and other non utility uses. But at their current accident rate helicopters remain unappealing. Advances in new materials could result in longer component and engine lifetimes, for example the TBO of the Arriel series has almost doubled in 40 years. And finally Autonomous technology will also reduce the accident rate. All these trends combined could make conventional rotorcraft very attractive in the future, contrary to the current gloom and doom about the future of the helicopter industry. If the cost of operation for most helicopters could be reduce in half and the accident rate could be lowered by 80%, the industry would boom.

• voyagerB likes this

#35 overtorque

overtorque

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 16:07

Man if there was only some way to store a lot of energy in a dense and portable way, preferably a liquid form. Now that's future talk!

In my opinion energy storage is a problem we have solved a long time ago. I think it would be much more beneficial to everyone to figure out how convert heat energy into mechanical motion very efficiently. An enormous amount of heat is lost from a running engine, it's a damn shame!

#36 voyagerB

voyagerB

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:38

https://www.cnbc.com...lying-taxi.html

• TomPPL likes this

#37 TomPPL

TomPPL

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:52

I reckon this one is about the most sensible so far.... It'd still need ballistic chutes though which would add to the weight.

#38 LJS1993

LJS1993

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 15:24

You know guys not to get too off topic but how about un-manned commercial flights?  Personally at this time there is no way I would take a 747 without an actual breathing pilot at the helm but some say it's coming in the near future.  What are your thoughts on that?  Yes aircraft of that size and complexity are highly automated to a certain point but they still have to be managed, taken off, and landed.

#39 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 20:45

What are your thoughts on that?

I don't think about that, just a waste of neurons.

Ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes, despite the number of pretty computer graphics around the place.

#40 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 16:57

Interesting that today, Uber cancelled their driverless car project after one of their cars killed a lady. I reckon this will help to kill pilot-less passenger ops too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

NFCVRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralPrecisionVRForumGeneral200HeliHelmetsSpectrum_VRGeneral468MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200